• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worried about the pain and healing process, post surgical extraction

S

soupy

Hi Guys,
thanks to the support on this forum, i feel i can go thru with my first surgical extraction.
I am used to having IV and know from experience that i wont feel anything, so the thing I am trying to counsel myself right now about, is specifically the pain and healing process afterwards. I've read a lot of posts about the healing process post surgical extraction, but any extra reassurances would be welcomed. I am imagining the worst, and feeling overwhelmed.

amongst the things worrying me are
1) pain in general...
2) pain of the salt water rinses on the 'wound'
3) how to stop food and drink getting in to the area when i eat

If you've read my prior posts, you'll know that I'm extra fragile mentally right now, so the timing couldn't be worse.

Soupy

Last edited:
Hi
I got my wisdom tooth pulled out last week Friday. It wasnt numb completely so it hurt like a b*tch. Its been a week and underneath the extraction socket is swollen and hurts alot. Also the gum around it hurts.
Is this normal? or should i go back to the dentist

Please refresh my memory: which teeth are coming out?

Please refresh my memory: which teeth are coming out?

Hi Dg6300,

it’s lower left 6 molar, root canalled, crowned, cracked, gum lenthened.
It would have been nice if my first extraction was a little one lol! but alas no.

Soupy

Hi
I got my wisdom tooth pulled out last week Friday. It wasnt numb completely so it hurt like a b*tch. Its been a week and underneath the extraction socket is swollen and hurts alot. Also the gum around it hurts.
Is this normal? or should i go back to the dentist

I wish i could help you but i dont know anything about wisdoms, or extraction healing, but if you
repost this as your own thread in support, or ‘ask the dentist’ you will get direct help from folks, i know wisdom teeth are are a genre of their own regarding extraction.

I had my lower left 2nd molar extracted on Monday - the very back one. Pain really has been manageable. I wake up with a little discomfort in the morning only and 1 extra strength over the counter ibuprofen alleviates it entirely. I then take 1 every 6 hours throughout the day.
No pain cleaning my mouth. I am using a special mouthwash prescribed by the dentist twice a day - not salt water. I don’t feel any type of pain when I use it and I wouldn’t have any hesitation using salt water either. I am a little apprehensive about brushing and avoid the area where I have stitches.

I had my lower left 2nd molar extracted on Monday - the very back one. Pain really has been manageable. I wake up with a little discomfort in the morning only and 1 extra strength over the counter ibuprofen alleviates it entirely. I then take 1 every 6 hours throughout the day.
No pain cleaning my mouth. I am using a special mouthwash prescribed by the dentist twice a day - not salt water. I don’t feel any type of pain when I use it and I wouldn’t have any hesitation using salt water either. I am a little apprehensive about brushing and avoid the area where I have stitches.

many thanks for this input :)

It's good to hear you are doing good, i'll make sure I take pain meds on a schedule - what you say makes a lot of sense.

Do you know at what point following surgery do we start brushing? I am nervous about that too.
Did you ever use the 'oxfresh dental get superior pain relief gel' as suggested in the healing faq's? It comes with very scant instructions, I've just acquired some but have no idea how long after surgery it can be used, and where you can put it (i was imagining it shouldn't go near the hole?). I posted questions about this in the dentists section a few days ago in case they know the ins and outs of using it, but haven't any info to go on as yet.

Nice to know the mouthwash isn't painful. In typical Soupy style lol, i'm allergic to the main active chemical in corsydil mouthwash (this seems to be the one they usually suggest post surgery), so am not sure what i can use instead. I've posted that question in the 'ask a dentist', so fingers crossed there is another option.

Also nice to know tho that you wouldn't hesitate using salt water on a pain level. My side issue is that I have stomach ulcers and the salt water washes that i am doing prior to surgery to pull out some of the infection is giving me terrible burning esophagus issues, even tho i'm not swallowing it, the mouth residue must be causing it. Post surgery I could try taking an ulcer med prior to the salt rinse maybe, especially now it know i don't need to be scared of the saline.

Thanks again for your comments, i feel more confident using these things now :) It all seems so scarey when you study the post surgery do's and don'ts they give you, so this is really reassuring and helpful. thanks for taking the time.

Last edited:
Back