• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worried that a recent deep filling is failing.

E

Ellie94

I've always been so nervous of the dentist, but after a significant amount of pain I recently had my first ever filling, a deep one in the lower molar just before my wisdom tooth. This was just over a week ago.

It's gradually been getting more painful to bite down, and sometimes seems to 'click' when I drink something cold - it's a really strange sensation.

Also, how common is it for you to be able to feel the difference between your actual tooth and a composite filling? When I run a finger over it I can definitely feel the line between the two. I'm terrified that it wasn't bonded properly and therefore is allowing micro-leakage and further decay to take place in between. My mum has always had bad teeth and I know how emotionally and well as physically painful it is to lose teeth, so I'm super scared that mine will get worse :(

Personally with me a once a filling has been done the pain settles quite quickly, I would arrange to see your dentist again.

It may be as simple as just needing to have the bite adjusted. This means that the dentist would file down the filling just a little bit. This doesn't require being numb and will not hurt at all. Best of luck!

Thank you for your replies. I went back and he examined the tooth and said all was fine. However, I often find it hard to specify where the pain/discomfort is regarding teeth, and since that appointment I've begun to think the click is in the molar before the filling. Whenever I drink something cold it feels like pressure is building and then it clicks/pops and goes back to normal. There's also pain when eating sometimes. I'm petrified that it's a crack in my tooth or bad decay and that they're going to have to take it out :( I can't afford a crown or an implant but I'm scared of having a gap.

Also, my anxiety is making me feel so stupid for going back a fifth time (after the initial appointment, 2 sessions for fillings and one for the check up I've just been to) which have all been within about three weeks. I'm just feeling very sorry for myself :(

Back