• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

xtraction of molar yesterday, PAIN HAS BEEN UNBEARABLE!! WHAT ELSE CAN I DO!

A

angiew

xtraction of molar yesterday, PAIN HAS BEEN UNBEARABLE!! WHAT ELSE CAN I DO!

I had a molar extracted yesterday, been in pain since the novacaine wore off, pain is getting worse, pretty much unbearable. Meds the Dr. gave me are making me sick, dentists doesnt have after hours number... been using ice packs, taking 800-1000mg ibuprofen but still in pain... can the ER do anything? do they see a person for dental problems there?

ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED, I CANNOT TAKE MUCH MORE OF THIS PAIN!!!

Re: xtraction of molar yesterday, PAIN HAS BEEN UNBEARABLE!! WHAT ELSE CAN I DO!

I responded in your first thread but I'll put my answer over here too for coherency :XXLhug:

First off - if it's been 24 hours try heat instead of cold. It will help increase blood flow and also relieve muscle stiffness. My instructions were 20 mins on, 20 mins on at max. I was told cold only for the first 24 hours - not sure on what instructions the UK gives.

Second - since you had an extraction and it's been 24 hours keep up with warm saline rinses. My instructions were 1/4 teaspoon of salt in 8oz of water. You will go through the whole cup, takes a few minutes. Don't swish, just lean your head back and forth then over the sink and open your mouth. Don't spit. Not sure if you received this an an after care instruction or not, but it may help and it's important to the healing process as it keeps the site clean.

Third - it is ridiculous that they caused you more pain then said just live with it! :mad: Since you're in the UK is the an A&E that can work with dental pain until you can go see the dentist again? It might be worth a a shot. They should be able to give meds for nausea which may allow you to take what she gave you.

Gingerale (Ginger itself) and peppermint can both help for nausea. Peppermint tea may be something to try if you haven't already.

Do you feel the pain in your jaw, the extraction site, your face or just sort of everywhere?

And even with this misery - you know what? You went. You don't have to go back to this woman and have the rest of the work done. Keep that in mind - there have got to be other dentists in the area that you can go to.

Re: xtraction of molar yesterday, PAIN HAS BEEN UNBEARABLE!! WHAT ELSE CAN I DO!

I think she is in the USA not the UK. She uses Mom, ER, meds, novacaine etc etc none of these are UK words.
In UK she could phone the NHS emergency dental number for her area but I agree wherever she is based, she should have been given an emergency number by the practitioner who treated her surgically they are surely responsible for her aftercare, having treated her surgically.

OP
Excellent advice from Amoreyna.
I wonder could dry socket be the issue here? If so any emergency dental facility could probably help. Packing the socket with soothing stuff usually brings immediate relief. Don't suffer in pain, get seen.

Angie - I hope things have gotten better for you and that this hasn't scared you off from dental treatment in the future. As Brit said, you should have gotten an after hours number. I had to call my doctor's office and was given his cell phone number. The first time I called I did get his voicemail that told said if I didn't hear back from him in a few minutes to call him back on his home phone and that number was part of the voicemail. I felt guilty over doing that on a Saturday and fortunately got him the second time I called his cell about 15 mins later. But you should have been given some kind of contact number along the same line, or reached an answering service that could reach the doctor for you.

Brit - good catch. I'm so used to many being from the UK here that I spaced that info out. In the future for US patients, any ER will treat you and many have oral surgeons on call they can consult with if you are ever in this kind of pain. I agree, at the very least reporting this dentist is in order.

The only reason I didn't suggest dry socket is that she mentioned the pain started as soon as the LA wore off which seemed a little early for that, but yeah, that pain from what I hear is excruciating. I did have a good bit of anxiety for my first 72 hours over that because of the horror stories of what it feels like.

Like I said Angie, I hope things have gotten better for you and that you got the care that you needed and didn't suffer in pain. :XXLhug:

No excuse for it. :mad: None at all to leave you like that. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Back