• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

1 Month Until 1st Cleaning with New Dentist that Did Front Teeth Fillings. Nervous.

O

overbitestinks93

1 Month Until 1st Cleaning with New Dentist that Did Front Teeth Fillings. Nervous.

It seems like I posted this before, but not many people had feedback. I don't think too many people have been in a similar situation with front teeth fillings.

Ever since I had my two appointments for fillings around my 4 lower front teeth, I've been getting worse sensitivity than I had before I had the 2 chips (and unknown cavities) filled. The fillings were supposed to help my sensitivity, but it seems to have gotten worse. I can feel it bad especially when I bite into either tough or chewy stuff (even bread from my sandwich at lunch everyday). I'm also still getting a metallic taste on the top of the front of my bottom teeth. I'm not sure if that's just the composite for the fillings or what. I'm really worried about my cleaning next month and afraid to tell the dentist what is happening.

Another thing I'm worried about is the fact that it feels like my gums are higher up on my lower front teeth. I especially think they are higher in between the teeth because I barely go down a little in between my teeth to floss and I can feel the floss go into my gums. (before I got the fillings done I never had that problem) Is it possible they did something to my gums in order to try and protect the bottom of my teeth? I was thinking that was it, because they were trying to help my sensitivity.

If anyone has any feedback, it's greatly appreciated. Glad to have people that understand dental anxiety.

Re: 1 Month Until 1st Cleaning with New Dentist that Did Front Teeth Fillings. Nervous.

I think I remember your posts earlier. Why are you apprehensive about telling your Dentist about the pain in the front tooth/teeth that were filled?

Re: 1 Month Until 1st Cleaning with New Dentist that Did Front Teeth Fillings. Nervous.

I think I remember your posts earlier. Why are you apprehensive about telling your Dentist about the pain in the front tooth/teeth that were filled?

I'm apprehensive about it, because I could feel the dentist drilling the front of my teeth even with the local anesthetic. I'm scared that if he goes back to fix it, it will be too close to the nerve and I will need a root canal. The one tooth that was ignored by my other dentist for 7 years was chipped down enough that he couldn't even rebuild it all. He just smoothed it out and filled in some parts. That tooth has been bothering me some, as well as the other ones giving me sensitivity when I eat certain foods. I'm worried that if I tell him he may say that the only other option is a root canal and I want my front teeth to last. (I've heard root canals make them weaker.)

If you're scared that you'll feel the procedure, tell your Dentist this fear before he/she begins working on your tooth...it's your tooth attached to your body, don't feel shy telling someone who can't feel what you do what you are feeling!

And I can appreciate that you're worried what the diagnosis will be, but try to cross one bridge at a time. Get a consult first, be honest about your fears of sensitivity during (and after) the procedure and go from there. Don't assume you're on your way to a root canal until you're told so...sometimes, our fears are worse than the reality.

Well. I'm nervous since they did the fillings not only to fix the chipped teeth, but to help the sensitivity. Now my teeth taste like metal and my gums hurt and feel like they go up higher. (not sure if they brought my gums up and filled underneath or if I'm just thinking that.) Also, my sensitivity seems to have gotten worse. Thus, the only thing I think is left for the dentist to do is a root canal, since my teeth are still sensitive after the fillings. I had the work done in early February when I met my new dentist and it's still bothering me.

I've had sensitivity like that and my dentist put something on that part of the tooth (I think it was gluma or something like that) and it fixed the issue.

Yeah. My dentist did the fillings to "help" the sensitivity and it made it worse. His hygienist did put some weird pasty stuff on my teeth during my consultation, 4 days before my first filling appointment, but that was only supposed to work temporarily.

Back