• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

2 impacted wisdom teeth. getting it done under local anaesthesia.

J

junnie

I am so scared for this one. I've always kept my teeth cleaning and avoid dentist at all cost. do I feel anything for local anaesthesia? What if local anaesthesia doesn't work on me? I am so scared!! help guys!

Local anesthesia will numb the area of the wisdom tooth before being pulled so you feel nothing. They give multiple injections for extra strength numbing. The dentist will likely tap or poke around the area after and ask if you feel anything before starting for additional confidence.

I would be more scared about not having a soft food diet plan prepared and aftercare since it can take months to heal.

Its a one time procedure so do your best to be mentally prepared. If you were to feel something, even the slightest pain, they would administer more local anestia. I have had 5 teeth pulled so I can say you do not feel anything other than a pulling motion from the dentist when they gradually loosen and pull the tooth. Its never done harshly to avoid damage to neighboring teeth. Good luck!

Hi junnie:welcome:,

as 39male mentioned, your dentist will make sure you don't feel anything before they start the procedure. If this point worries you, it may be a good idea to let your dentist know. Just having explained how things work sometimes help.

I would be more scared about not having a soft food diet plan prepared and aftercare since it can take months to heal.

Wow, were you on soft foods for months after your extraction? :o From reading around, most people don't need more than few days of careful eating maximum, at least after wisdom teeth.

Wow, were you on soft foods for months after your extraction? :o From reading around, most people don't need more than few days of careful eating maximum, at least after wisdom teeth.

I just rememeber getting lots of food trapped in my wisdom tooth holes as a teen and it lasted for 2 months. Last month I had a lower molar pulled w a bone graft so I am on a soft food diet longer than usual so you are likely right in suggesting a more speedy recovery. Appreciate your feedback. Have a nice weekend too. :)

Thank you guys so much, for your information. I have successfully conquer the fear of dental phobia. I am now at home recovering from it , the process was entirely pain free and finding the right doctor makes a different. once again, Thank you for your positive encouragement!

Back