• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

20 Years of Age, Getting top extractions and immediate dentures on Friday.

C

Countrygirl93

Junior member
Joined
Apr 13, 2013
Messages
1
Hello there,

I'm twenty years old, and on Friday I am having all of my top teeth pulled. I only have 12 of them left. I was experiencing eye irritation and swelling, and splitting headaches, as well as a tooth that was sensetive. Hurt to bite on, gave a shocking feeling to touch it... I no longer am covered on my parents Dental insurance due to age (And I'm not a student) I found a great clinic here in my home town that takes new patients, and even offers free X-Ray and Dental Exam on your first appointment. So, I had Xrays done, expecting to hear that the tooth needed worked on. After the Xrays, while I was talking with the doctor, I had explained that I didn't want to have fillings or root canals done, because I at some point wanted dentures... I was meaning later on down the road.. Bad teeth run in the family... My grand father on my dad's side needed dentures, as well as my grand mother on my mom's side. Both my parents have dentures. My oldest brother has dentures, my older brother got dentures when he was 17 years old. The doctor got the Xrays back, and told me the things he saw... To my supprise, and shock, there was something much more serious going on... I had an abcess growing in a tooth that I had a root canal on, YEARS ago... It was causing an infection, and spreading to the other top teeth, which are already better off gone to begin with. He told me that I would need them all pulled, but we could save my bottom teeth for now with fillings.. However, later on down the road in life, I plan to have those taken out too. They are too sensetive. I can't have anything sweet. They are touchy to hot and cold things. =/ Makes eating a pain.
So, Monday I go in for impressions...and Friday I get them pulled. They are also going to be pulling one of my bottom teeth that day, because it is broken pretty bad. They will have to surgically extract the two top root canal teeth, and one of my back teeth..and I was also told that I am going to need a Complete Bony Extraction.. I am not looking forward to that part... At all. But, I will be having the dentures put in THAT day... I'm nervous. All my family says I'll be okay. I have high pain tolerance, and I've been through a lot... Being diagnosed with Crohn's diease at the age of 14. I know pain. In the past, I've been sedated for bigger procedures. This is the most teeth I'll have pulled..and I will be wide awake. The sedation is going to cost about 400 dollars more, and will change the procedure cost....Which I am lucky to even be able to pay for.. Luckily, I was approved a 3,000 credit card, meant for dental/medical costs. However, the surgeon who does the IV Sedation, won't be available till May, and the dentist said we can't wait that long... because the infection could make me sicker than it already has been.. And, I also learned that they don't have "Laughing Gas" at this dentist. So, I will be fully awake for the entire thing, relying only on Novacane. I am nervous. I've had experiences where the novacaine doesn't always work and set in like it should... And with all the work being done, especially the Complete Bony Extraction.. I am freaking out.... I am going to be bringing my ipod or something so I don't have to hear all the noises.. Are there any other things that could help me feel better? Maybe relax me?
FREAKING OUT!
:shame::scared:

 
Re: 20 Years of Age, Getting top extractions and immediate dentures on Friday.

I know that your date for extraction has passed...but I hope you are doing well and that everything went smoothly. Sounds very scary but the end result will be a new beautiful smile :)
 
Back
Top