• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

22 and need dentures. Beyond terrified....

K

kacyyface

Well, to begin, I'm 22 and my teeth are beyond being "fixed". The last time I went to the dentist was when I was 16 and the experience was horrible, as the dentist decided to make rude and insulting comments about my xrays and the condition of my teeth to the dental assistant, and as if that werent enough- implied my mother was a bad parent for "letting" my teeth get so bad. After reviewing the work that would need to be done (3 root canals, bridge(s), caps, etc) my parents figured that it was more than they could afford, and I lost all hope. My teeth have only gotten worse since, and so has the anxiety that I endure as a result. I dropped out of school at 17, because all I could think was "is he/she staring at my teeth". I felt unbelievably insecure, disgusting, and worthless, and I still do. I need dentures, there is no other option at this point. I've decided I've wasted too much of my life being miserable, last year I lost 100+ pounds and I want to enjoy it, even if it means getting over my dentist phobia and having false teeth...But being 22, I'm scared my friends will notice the drastic change and will be able to tell that they are dentures. I can't afford anything fancy, and I don't know how real "basic" dentures look. Anyone else young with dentures, or that got their dentures at a young age? Are you/were you happier with your appearance now that you've got them? How did you handle your friends questions? How long does it take to heal? Sorry for all of the questions, but I would like to know what I am up against, thank you.

I can't give you advice about dentures, but I can tell you that you are NOT worthless, you are NOT disgusting. Listen, you lost over 100 pounds. Do you know what a huge deal that is? There are people out there who would places with you in a second - teeth issues and all.

Keep on taking care of yourself - and never stop. Your real, true friends will be glad that you're taking this step. If you're afraid to say the D word, just say you had some dental work done. People do all the time. Well, not people who have dental fear like us, but it's perfectly normal to go get your teeth fixed.

You are taking steps I only wish I had been stong enough to take at your age. Give yourself a pat on the back. And tell that nasty voice in your head to shut up.

I can't give you advice about dentures, but I can tell you that you are NOT worthless, you are NOT disgusting. Listen, you lost over 100 pounds. Do you know what a huge deal that is? There are people out there who would places with you in a second - teeth issues and all.

Keep on taking care of yourself - and never stop. Your real, true friends will be glad that you're taking this step. If you're afraid to say the D word, just say you had some dental work done. People do all the time. Well, not people who have dental fear like us, but it's perfectly normal to go get your teeth fixed.

You are taking steps I only wish I had been stong enough to take at your age. Give yourself a pat on the back. And tell that nasty voice in your head to shut up.

Thank you for your kind words :) I am quite proud of myself for the weight I've lost, but that always seemed more attainable of a goal than being able to smile again. It's been so long... I don't know how I'll do it, as I don't have insurance, but I am determined to find a way. Thank you so much for responding :)

I'm a bit older than you...but understand. I do not regret my choice to have a denture. I'm only a week into them...still getting used to it. But the relief of not being embarrassed to talk or smile, and no more excruciating tooth aches....is priceless. What I have now is an immediate basic denture... And it looks amazing!

Well, to begin, I'm 22 and my teeth are beyond being "fixed". The last time I went to the dentist was when I was 16 and the experience was horrible, as the dentist decided to make rude and insulting comments about my xrays and the condition of my teeth to the dental assistant, and as if that werent enough- implied my mother was a bad parent for "letting" my teeth get so bad. After reviewing the work that would need to be done (3 root canals, bridge(s), caps, etc) my parents figured that it was more than they could afford, and I lost all hope. My teeth have only gotten worse since, and so has the anxiety that I endure as a result. I dropped out of school at 17, because all I could think was "is he/she staring at my teeth". I felt unbelievably insecure, disgusting, and worthless, and I still do. I need dentures, there is no other option at this point. I've decided I've wasted too much of my life being miserable, last year I lost 100+ pounds and I want to enjoy it, even if it means getting over my dentist phobia and having false teeth...But being 22, I'm scared my friends will notice the drastic change and will be able to tell that they are dentures. I can't afford anything fancy, and I don't know how real "basic" dentures look. Anyone else young with dentures, or that got their dentures at a young age? Are you/were you happier with your appearance now that you've got them? How did you handle your friends questions? How long does it take to heal? Sorry for all of the
questions, but I would like to know what I am up against, thank you.

As a dentist I'm pleased and impressed that you have decided to take control of your life to make it better. Ultimately the only one we have any control over and can change is ourselves. Your friends are your friends and they will stick with you as you make these changes. They already know of your oral condition and I'm sure they will be glad to see you dealing with that too. You didn't say but if you smoke stop and put that daily expense into a tooth fund.
So get your dentures then immediately start saving for more treatment. You are very young so I would work towards getting a few implants even if it takes years to save the money for it.

wow if you read my post i finally have someone i can relate too. I am 22 also and have to get dentures. I feel exactly how you do. :cry:

I am 22 i have a full upper denture ive ony had it for 2 months they look awesome but i feel they same way
U do i still havent told any of my friends

Last edited:
Back