• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

22, Terrified of peridontal disease

M

mew666

Hi guys,
I'm 22 and I have a dentist appointment in 3 weeks after not going in 5 years, and I am absolutely terrified.

I used to have perfect teeth after braces and have never had a filling. But after being pretty depressed and a dip in my oral hygiene, as well as smoking, I am terrified I have periodontal disease. My gums don't bleed (only when I started flossing again) but they have receded on the bottom. The piece of gum between my two bottom teeth is slightly loose and there is tartar on the back of my teeth. They also look inflamed in colour.

I also have gum pockets on my bottom right pre molars, but not on the otherside. Is this because of over crowding ? As I had teeth removed on the opposite side to have braces, and my wisdom teeth have partially erupted.

I am also pretty sure I grind/clench my teeth as I have flat areas areas on canines and other parts. As well as chips. Also broke my retainers in my sleep, thus not worn them in years. Would this cause gum recession?

Just looking for a bit of reassurance as this has been my biggest fear ever since I was a child, and I am terrified of people looking in my mouth. I have upped my oral hygiene and am trying to quit smoking, but cannot stop worrying about my teeth.

Thank you !

You're only 22. Periodontal disease is a very slow process, even if you have it, it'll be both in the very early stages and very easily dealt with. Grinding can sort of cause gum recession sometimes (it's complicated).
Good luck with the dentist visit, as usual it's the fear of the unknown that's scariest.

How did your appointment go? Also very worried about this!!

It went really well! No peridontal disease no extreme gum disease. He said it was some if the mildest gum recession he'd seen which I was very shocked about. Nothing a scale and polish can't help : )

Back