• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

2nd molar removal

I

Islandaquaboo

Hi,
I recently have been dealing with some unexpected dental problems. I always had good hygiene but due to health problems I have been on a lot of medications that basically ruined my mouth, including chemo. I had an upper pre molar break out of nowhere in March. The dentist said it had rotted from the root (from chemo) and extracted it. At the time, I didn't have the money for an implant plus all the money for other recommend work so I went with a fixed bridge. I hate it. It looks and functions good but I feel the small gap left for cleaning all the time. I am only 33 and this put me in a huge depression.
Anyway, I am mostly done fixing all the damage and decay. The only thing left to do is deal with my two lower 2nd molars. Both heavily decayed. The right may possibly be saved with a crown. The left has to go. I still have my wisdom teeth. They are under the gum but x-rays show they are upright and if they moved into the gap of the second molar they would be in pretty good position according to my dentist. He feels there is a good chance it will in fact do that but it could take up to a year. Has this happened for anyone my age or older? I have been very stressed about this. I don't want to be missing any teeth ? The thought of the wisdom tooth coming in gives me hope but I am worried about the upper moving down in the meantime..

Hi Islandaquaboo :welcome:

sorry to read what you have been through :( I will keep my fingers crossed for your right molar to be able to get saved. I don't know about wisdom teeth moving at your age, but your dentist should know so if he thinks they will move, chances are, they will? I am not sure what you mean by the upper moving down in the mean time - is your upper wisdom tooth completely erupted? Was your dentist worried that the tooth may come down too much within 1 year? I

Hi Islandaquaboo :welcome:

sorry to read what you have been through :( I will keep my fingers crossed for your right molar to be able to get saved. I don't know about wisdom teeth moving at your age, but your dentist should know so if he thinks they will move, chances are, they will? I am not sure what you mean by the upper moving down in the mean time - is your upper wisdom tooth completely erupted? Was your dentist worried that the tooth may come down too much within 1 year? I
Thanks for the response! Yes I am worried about the top second molar super erupting while I wait for the wisdom tooth.

Thanks for the response! Yes I am worried about the top second molar super erupting while I wait for the wisdom tooth.

I am not a dentist but I had my lower second molar extracted and an implant put in. Due to another extraction of the first molar next to it several months later, the surgeon said it would be easier to wait and have the first implant crown put in when the first molar was also ready. Then Covid-19 happened when I was due to get the crowns put in. So it ended up being just over a year with no second molar and my upper second molar never even moved that I could tell.

Back