• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abscess in front tooth, pre-molar, after root canal

K

Kkaschke

I had a root canal on a front pre-molar over 20 years ago. The dentist also did a crown with a post and core. It has been fine until recently. About 6 weeks ago a lump started on the gum above the tooth. My regular dentist took some xrays and didn’t see anything. No pain until about a week ago. I went to an endotontist the other day and he said it is abscessed and there is bone loss from the infection. He said he doesn’t recommend retreating and recommends extraction and then a dental implant.

I really wonder if I should get a second opinion. The tooth isn’t loose and the thought of having it extracted honestly scares the garbage out of me. And I understand implants can take months and are quite painful. The original root canal was bad enough. The other issue is cost. Implants are expensive even with insurance.

I had a root canal on a front pre-molar over 20 years ago. The dentist also did a crown with a post and core. It has been fine until recently. About 6 weeks ago a lump started on the gum above the tooth. My regular dentist took some xrays and didn’t see anything. No pain until about a week ago. I went to an endotontist the other day and he said it is abscessed and there is bone loss from the infection. He said he doesn’t recommend retreating and recommends extraction and then a dental implant.

I really wonder if I should get a second opinion. The tooth isn’t loose and the thought of having it extracted honestly scares the garbage out of me. And I understand implants can take months and are quite painful. The original root canal was bad enough. The other issue is cost. Implants are expensive even with insurance.

I had an abscess on my front tooth. I tried to save it through root canal, then finally had to extract it. Honestly, the implant process on that tooth was easier than a root canal. It does take time, and money, but is worth it. I was terrified of losing my front tooth! The flipper was made before the extraction so that I had it to wear out after the extraction. I wore it for six months. I wish I hadn’t wasted my money getting a root canal and had just gone for the implant up front. Mine was paid for in phases. I paid for the extraction and implant up front, then paid for the crown six months later. I was also allowed to make the initial implant payment in two chunks.

It never hurts to get a second opinion as someone else may have a different strategy. It at least gives you reassurance rather than leaving you with that “what if?” feeling.

Trouble is if there is chronic infection present causing bone loss, it'll compromise an implant if it's allowed to go on too long.

What is the tooth next to it like? Is it sound or heavily filled/crowned. A cheaper option might be to go for an adhesive bridge like a Maryland.

The teeth next to it are healthy. In the event a second opinion has the same outcome, I’ll probably favor on the side of a bridge. It’s less expensive and less invasive.

Back