• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abscess - need an extraction phobia at it's worst

B

Betty77

Avoiding dental work over the last few years has caught up with me. I am utterly petrified now as i need all the treatment doing i should have had done over the last few years.

On Boxing Day toothache started in a tooth that is crowned, by the following day i was in agony and knew I was getting an abscess. I went to the emergency dentist and got antibiotics, over the last few days my mouth swelled up and today the swelling is almost gone. On Tuesday I went to the new dentists I had recently registered with and he confirmed I need the tooth under the crown removing. Obviously this cant be done until I have finished the antibiotics, i finish them tomorrow and I am scheduled to have an extraction next Thursday.

I am totally beside myself with fear and anxiety. Today now the swelling has gone down the crown feels loose, whether it is or not I don't know, I'm not sure if it is just from the swelling going down and my mouth feeling back to normal after a few days of swelling, or if it is actually loose. On the other side of my mouth where I have been having to eat a tooth that has needed filling for years has begun to crumble a little I think.

I feel physically sick at the thought of :

My crown coming out
Having to have an extraction
My other tooth breaking
Having to have any work at all done

I have registered with a very expensive private dentist - who's specialize in nervous patients and have a very good reputation for phobics. I registered there as they use the quicksleeper system and i hoped that would make having fillings less stressful for me.My dentist assured me the other day it would be a 'gentle extraction' whatever that may be?
I am now having panic attacks and feel incredibly anxious. Will the crown be loose now I have had an abscess? What if it does come out? What if i totally freak out and faint as that is how this is making me feel. I'm barely eating as anything touching my teeth is now freaking me out.

I am so stupid and have put off and backed out of dental treatment many, many times over the last few years. I should never have let myself get in this situation. I can't talk to anyone in real life about this as I am pretty sure people are sick of hearing me go on about this.

I came home from work sick on Sunday because of the abscess and called in sick on Wednesday because my face was still swollen and i felt unwell. I'm meant to be working tomorrow but really feel like calling the dentists first thing in the morning and asking to be seen - even if it is for him to just check the crown.

Totally, totally petrified.

Sorry this has happened to you and that you are in pain, but abscessed infected teeth can often be saved with root canal and do not always require extraction, so you may want to get another opinion before you let someone take your tooth.

Sorry this has happened to you and that you are in pain, but abscessed infected teeth can often be saved with root canal and do not always require extraction, so you may want to get another opinion before you let someone take your tooth.

Unfortunately money is the issue here and at £706 for root canal work and a new crown which could possibly fail again in the future or £120 for extraction I am in the position of an extraction being my only choice. Unless I go to an NHS dentist and have root canal done cheaper. This has already happened previously on this tooth (about 10 years ago).

I am just so scared.Scared the crown is going to come out before next Thursday, scared of everything.

Thankyou for the reply though x

I'm sorry. I do know how you feel. I just had a crowned root canaled tooth extracted 2 days ago and yes it was a lot of money to go through all that and lose the tooth anyway but I could not stand the pain any more.
Chances are your crown just feels loose because of the swelling. You should be ok til your appointment since you got on antibiotics.

I'm sorry. I do know how you feel. I just had a crowned root canaled tooth extracted 2 days ago and yes it was a lot of money to go through all that and lose the tooth anyway but I could not stand the pain any more.
Chances are your crown just feels loose because of the swelling. You should be ok til your appointment since you got on antibiotics.

I am sorry you have been through the same thing recently. I am beyond scared about the extraction, i haven't had any teeth out since childhood.

It seems to be in the last few hours that the swelling has gone down quite a fair bit and its since then i have been scared the crown feels loose. I've just gone to have a look in the bathroom and when i press it is leaking from the abscess.

I was terrified as well to get my extraction. I had never had to lose any teeth before other than my wisdom teeth and I was not conscious for that. I was awake for this and I was so scared, I gripped the chair so tight I'm surprised I didn't break it, and I squeezed my eyes shut because I didn't want to see anything. It was over with so fast I couldn't believe it! I think my tooth was out in less than 2 minutes. You will be ok I promise.
I think if you are finished antibiotics and still seeing pus from the abscess you should call the dentist and let them know. they may want to switch you to a different antibiotic.

I was terrified as well to get my extraction. I had never had to lose any teeth before other than my wisdom teeth and I was not conscious for that. I was awake for this and I was so scared, I gripped the chair so tight I'm surprised I didn't break it, and I squeezed my eyes shut because I didn't want to see anything. It was over with so fast I couldn't believe it! I think my tooth was out in less than 2 minutes. You will be ok I promise.
I think if you are finished antibiotics and still seeing pus from the abscess you should call the dentist and let them know. they may want to switch you to a different antibiotic.

I am getting really worked up about the whole thing, totally petrified. I haven't had extractions since I was a child and then i was sedated. I'm suffering with panic attacks and anxiety i'm so scared.

I have finished the course of antibiotics now but can still feel the abscess in my gum. Is this normal?

Hi Betty,
Yes, it is normal. The antibiotics may help you feel a little better and help a little but won't really get rid of the abscess. The tooth is causing the infection - it is the infection, the abscess is a symptom of the problem which is the tooth. Until the tooth is treated the infection remains and abscess will continue. I have a few, and am also afraid to have extractions so I know how you feel. It is awful. I'm sorry. I wish I had a different answer!

I am getting really worked up about the whole thing, totally petrified. I haven't had extractions since I was a child and then i was sedated. I'm suffering with panic attacks and anxiety i'm so scared.

I have finished the course of antibiotics now but can still feel the abscess in my gum. Is this normal?

Yep, what Mugz said
The antibiotics will make it so that they are able to numb your tooth to work on it, but they can not cure your tooth, which is why once a tooth gets infected we only get a choice of extraction or root canal. Good luck at your appointment.

Yep, what Mugz said
The antibiotics will make it so that they are able to numb your tooth to work on it, but they can not cure your tooth, which is why once a tooth gets infected we only get a choice of extraction or root canal. Good luck at your appointment.

My appointment is on Thursday. I am considering emailing them to let them know i am utterly petrified - even though they are already aware of this.

Best of luck on Thursday! I don't think it's ever a bad idea to remind them how terrified you are... Hopefully they will treat you with kid gloves :)

I'd email FOR SURE and let them know. Heck, call them too if you feel you can get the words out. Did you ask for something to take ahead of time like valium? Sorry if you already mentioned that and I missed it. If you didn't that would be a reason to call...and ask..and remind them how anxious you are. In my opinion they can't hear it....and act on it...enough.

My thoughts are with you on Thursday. Will send strength and prayers your way that all goes peacefully and painlessly for you. Honestly, I know it sounds crazy, but this is really the worst part....the stress leading up to it and the first few minutes in the office. Once you are there people jump in to start helping you and it isn't just you alone imagining the worst....if that makes sense.

You can do it. You can.....We're here for you too, Betty.

Good luck on Thursday Betty, are you getting anything besides Novocain? You can ask if they or if your doctor will prescribe you a valium to take before the procedure. If you do this you will need someone to drive you there and home, but it is worth it if you're as scared as I was. I also asked for nitrous but for me it was not the be all and end all that everyone says it is. Nitrous for some reason did not work on me at all.

I promise you that you will be so glad when it's over. It is so scary doing it, but the pain of healing afterwards is so much less than the pain of living with the infected tooth.

I aren't taking anything to calm my nerves. To be honest i'd rather not as i need to be able to drive myself there and back (40 miles round trip) and i have nobody to drive me either as everyone is working. I haven't emailed the dentist yet as i'm trying (constantly) to resonate with myself. I may email tomorrow when it is the day before my appointment and it may keep fresh in my dentists mind - although i know he is already quite clear as to how terrified I am.

I have a permanent knot in my stomach and I'm struggling to eat. I keep trying to flick away the fear as it is Tuesday today i'm not scheduled until Thursday 2pm.

I have the crappy taste back in my mouth from the crowned tooth, weirdly I never had it whilst on antibiotics. But i have had this taste for absolutely ages and kind of want rid of it now. My teeth and tongue are coated with whatever it is.

I am not sure how Thursday will go and I agree the build up and the wait is probably the worst thing. I know i HAVE to have my mouth numbed (my big fear) but i'm not sure what else to expect. I'm going to take my Ipod so I don't hear anything, i'm worried about hearing whats happening. I'm scared of passing out - I always feel faint anyway so god knows how i will feel. I'm worried about my mouth feeling weird afterwards with a missing tooth. I have issues with feeling anything different or changes in my mouth.

Gosh this is a nightmare. I keep trying to occupy myself with other things so i am not constantly thinking of Thursday. Although that is difficult with the coated teeth and tongue.

I aren't taking anything to calm my nerves. To be honest i'd rather not as i need to be able to drive myself there and back (40 miles round trip) and i have nobody to drive me either as everyone is working. I haven't emailed the dentist yet as i'm trying (constantly) to resonate with myself. I may email tomorrow when it is the day before my appointment and it may keep fresh in my dentists mind - although i know he is already quite clear as to how terrified I am.

I have a permanent knot in my stomach and I'm struggling to eat. I keep trying to flick away the fear as it is Tuesday today i'm not scheduled until Thursday 2pm.

I have the crappy taste back in my mouth from the crowned tooth, weirdly I never had it whilst on antibiotics. But i have had this taste for absolutely ages and kind of want rid of it now. My teeth and tongue are coated with whatever it is.

I am not sure how Thursday will go and I agree the build up and the wait is probably the worst thing. I know i HAVE to have my mouth numbed (my big fear) but i'm not sure what else to expect. I'm going to take my Ipod so I don't hear anything, i'm worried about hearing whats happening. I'm scared of passing out - I always feel faint anyway so god knows how i will feel. I'm worried about my mouth feeling weird afterwards with a missing tooth. I have issues with feeling anything different or changes in my mouth.

Gosh this is a nightmare. I keep trying to occupy myself with other things so i am not constantly thinking of Thursday. Although that is difficult with the coated teeth and tongue.

Hi Betty,
The waiting and worrying yourself sick over it is absolutely the worst part, although I can not lie I was terrified in the chair while it was happening as well.
Honestly it does feel weird afterwards. Especially if this is a bottom tooth. Mine was a molar on the bottom left and because my tongue rests there on the bottom the side of my tongue at rest does feel edges of teeth that it never felt before.
They will swab the area with a numbing gel first before the injections. It makes the injection itself less painful. They will wait a few minutes and then check to see if you are numb before they begin. If you are not numb you will have another injection which you won't feel much because the first injection will have started to work.
You "might" hear some noises. I closed my eyes really tight and gripped the chair in terror. I only heard one noise and it was not as scary or loud as I thought it would be, and I believe it was the sound of my crown breaking and not a sound from my actual tooth.
It was over very quickly.
You will have to bite on gauze for a while to stop the bleeding.
You will take pain meds as soon as you get home before the numbness wears off.
You will have to eat soft foods or liquids the first day, and no brushing, rinsing, or spitting allowed. likewise no straws or smoking. you will need to keep your head elevated including when you go to sleep. stay propped up on at least 2 pillows.
On the off chance that you have any bleeding difficulties you should pick up some plain black tea bags. they can not be herbal, or orange oil added or anything like that. just plain black tea with no other ingredients. If your bleeding continues after biting on gauze then fold a tea bag in half, dampen it with water and bite on it for 40 minutes or so. the tannin in tea will help to form the blood clot you need to begin healing.
If you are not already taking a multivitamin this is a good time to start taking one or at least something with a high dose of C and continue taking it after your extraction. C promotes quicker healing.

It is an upper tooth 3rd from back, my dentist said he 'hopes' the tooth will come out with the crown if not then it may be more tricky :confused:. Under the crown there is very little visible tooth left the crown is put in with a post. Ugh the thought of a space between the teeth fills me with fear, unfortunately I cannot afford an implant £1000+.
I'm hoping the whole procedure is over with quickly, some people have said to me it is quicker than having a filling? The practice i go to uses the Wand for numbing will they use this for extraction or is that just for fillings?

Sorry I am full of questions.

They will use the wand for numbing so that is good :)
My tooth above the gumline was only one tooth wall, the rest was filling, and a pin (which is what cracked my tooth) and covered with a porcelain crown. Even though it was rrot canaled the oral surgeon got it out in one piece.

Yes it was much quicker than a filling. Once I got numbed and he got started it was over in literally less than 2 minutes. As terrified as I was, it was the fastest and most painless dental procedure I have ever had.

I can not afford an implant either. maybe if I had back the $2500 it cost for the crown and root canal and filling....
Here it would cost about $3500 for an implant of a molar, possibly more if a bone graft was needed first. I can't even think about replacing it in the immediate future.

Because yours is an upper and not where your tongue rests you will probably not even feel a difference unless you purposely try to feel it with your tongue. Try not to do that too much because you may disturb the clot while it's healing.
Ask as many questions as you want! I may not know all the answers but I will answer what I can.

Because yours is an upper and not where your tongue rests you will probably not even feel a difference unless you purposely try to feel it with your tongue. Try not to do that too much because you may disturb the clot while it's healing.
Ask as many questions as you want! I may not know all the answers but I will answer what I can.

I am terrible for doing this prodding and poking with my tongue, i even do it without realising most of the time.
Thankyou for answering my questions, your explanations of the procedure have made it feel a little less anxious. I keep swaying from feeling total fear and anxiety to feeling like wanting it over and done with and it will be ok.

:cry: I really hope I don't freak out in the chair. The thought of it freaks me out so much.

I know you will have an urge to constantly check on it, but it's really important to leave it be and let it heal.
You will be so relieved when it's over with. You may have some pain while it's healing but it is so much less than the pain of living with a bad tooth.
Oh it is a good idea to have an ice pack ready too. If you don't have one you don't have to buy anything special, you can take a wash cloth, fold it up, get it wet, stick it in a sandwich baggie and put it in your freezer so it's ready when you need it. place it against your check plastic and all not the bare ice. It will keep the swelling to a minimum and the less you swell the less painful it is. You should use the ice for 15 minutes at a time for the first few days.

It's all so daunting. I imagine being a non phobic you would feel nervous about it, but as a full blown phobic it is petrifiying. I would rather give birth again twice with no pain relief than go through this.

Back