• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

abscess popped, terrified that infection is going to spread

1398_Days

So I've had an infected tooth for about a year. I had a toothache in June 2018 and then developed a small abscess that has just been hangin' out over since. There's no pain (I'm pretty sure the tooth is dead) or anything and to be honest I almost forgot about it until a few days ago. I was having some pain and pressure near the tooth for a few days, and when i woke up today the abscess was larger. Not huge.. maybe like the size of a pea. It was pretty uncomfortable and felt like it was going to burst. And it did, just a few minutes ago. Now I'm really scared because I know that I need to see a dentist but I'm completely terrified. I can't even afford to see a dentist right now! I'm so scared the infection will spread. I've been having this weird pressure in my face (right under my eye) for about a month and it only just occurred to be that it might be related to the infection. I'm so scared. I'm also scared of taking antibiotics (i have emetophobia and I know antibiotics can upset your stomach). I don't know what to do, please help!

Call 211 (or your local equivalent) and tell them what you told us.

the Unknown is scary. I totally understand the fear of the infection and what will happen. The sooner you can get to a dentist the sooner your fears will subside as the problem can be treated. Please try not to worry about things and take action to take care of it. The fear will be worse than any treatment you may have.

Back