• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum Abscess Popped

K

kattiemkf

I had a root canal when I was 17 on tooth #10. It never really gave me problems after, but when I would forget to floss for a good week or two, it would be slightly sensitive - so, i just flossed. About 3 or 4 months ago I noticed an odd feeling next to my nose when I itched it...a numb/pressure feeling. I did a further examination and discovered a bump, which I believed to be an abscess high up in my gum line. I went to my doctor and was told I'd need another root canal. I was also prescribed amoxicillin, though I am VERY against antibiotics as it has caused me intestinal issues from childhood use. I wasn't very religious taking it, but would do it at least once a day. I would also eat raw garlic and take oil of oregano. (Yes, go ahead and judge the witch doctoryness)
Anyway, I had my second root canal at the beginning of October, about 3.5 weeks ago. The first one never hurt and this one never really hurt either...I guess I was lucky. My endodontist told me that because I could feel the "pressure" from the abscess near my left nostril as well as when I press on the front left of my palate that the root canal could not work as hoped and I'd need a further surgical procedure to clean it out. He mentioned something about the abscess being present for a long time, he asked if I've had any trauma in the area and I told him I chipped my front tooth next to it at age 6. Don't know if it could have started then or when it rechipped at age 11 (and didn't get fixed until 13). #9 was also my first cavity.
He went ahead with the root canal, the abscess bump was still there, but he said it could go away. The thing I was worried about was that if the bump was still there, that means the pus from the infection is still in there. And if that pus is still in my body, how on Earth will it get out?
Got my answer this last week, the abscess started to move lower down to the tooth. Or spread lower down. There was also a "white head" on it. This morning I woke up, looked at it, and the area where the whitehead was popped. I cleaned it up with sterile q-tips and swished organic coconut oil (oil pulling) for five minutes. I also consumed oil of oregano. The pus stopped coming out, but there are two other white heads now that will hopefully pop here soon to relieve the pressure, and hopefully...HOPEFULLY mean the end of the abscess.
So, I guess long story short, should I go back to my endodontist? Is it something to worry about? What should my next steps be?

see the endodontist don't wait

Back