• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Absolutely terrified and new here.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zumi
  • Start date Start date
Z

Zumi

Junior member
Joined
Mar 11, 2013
Messages
1
Hello,

I've been lurking this forum for quite some time off and on. Like all of you, I'm absolutely terrified of dentists, anything to do with them makes me feel ill and I'll cry at the thought of seeing one. I haven't seen one since I was 12 due to a bad experience (I'm 20 now).

I have terrible anxiety in general. I don't even look at my teeth most of the time. I have blackened teeth due to cavities in my top four front teeth. I also have cavities in other parts of my mouth. I have two wisdom teeth grown in (none of my teeth hurt or anything, I'll get random pains off and on, but nothing really bad, just annoying, and they'll go away after a few minutes. Most of the time, it might be me just thinking about my teeth so much that they kind of hurt, if that makes sense.) My other two wisdom teeth will probably grow in soon, one is starting to already.

Besides the fact that I,m so scared of treatment, I don't even know how it'd be paid for money wise. I live with my parents and we do not have insurance. Only one parent is working, and she would not be able to afford treatment for me.

I did find a dentist office's website that's about an hour away from where I live, with a 99% positive rating. On the website, there's an $85 dollar off coupon..that puts some fear into me because that alone makes me think things will be really costly. However, the website did make me a bit more comfortable.

I do know that treatment in my mind is just a possible idea right now, I'm just looking for support to know that just maybe I'm not the only one who cries reading the threads on this forum. Thanks for reading.
 
Zumi,
All of us on this forum most likely feel the way you do..We don't like our teeth, we need some or alot of treatment, no insurance and not enough funds...my husband and I are both getting our teeth done..He had all of his extracted and has his upper denture..He got fitted today for his lower partial. Soon after he got his upper denture I started having problems with my teeth...I had all but 8 pulled on the bottom ..Now a tooth on the top is bothering me...No more insurance and no more money....It is anxiety producing....All you can do is make the appointment and have the dentist check you out and give you a ball-park figure on how much it will cost (and use the coupon.) Then go from there... Maybe he has a payment plan...
 
Hi Zumi, Like you I've been lurking around reading other peoples threads and today I finally created a profile and posted about some of my story so far. The only difference is that I am just over a week into my treatment plan and have already had three teeth extracted and to be honest with you it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Sure, it's uncomfortable and swells but it's already so much better than it was. I'm amazed you aren't in agony. I know I was. I had two abscesses under the teeth that were extracted, the poison was seeping into my body and actually making me really unwell. One dentist told me that it'd cost £50,000+ to give me what I not only wanted but what I needed. I honestly thought that was it. With my amazing partner and parents encouragement I was brave enough to get a second opinion and I'm so glad I did. With their help I found an amazing dentist who was all of the things I never thought I'd find in a dentist. He is kind, considerate, talks to me and always explains everything to me. He listens to me and makes me feel so incredibly strong when in reality I'm an anxiety ridden depressed stress ball. I am never a problem for him as he is never a problem for me. We both agreed we would conquer this as a team and so far he has kept his word. He makes me laugh and has never EVER hurt me. This man is my golden dentist and with his help I know I'm finally going to have that beautiful smile. The other lot didn't even tell me my face was quite literally rotting! All they cared about was me saddling myself with debt for the rest of my life. So I guess what I'm trying to say is you have to be brave not just for the fear but also for the fact that people are going to find out about your secret. Don't worry though. They don't tell you off, judge you or make you feel bad in anyway. If they do then they definitely aren't the right dentist for you. Good luck x:clover:
 
:welcome: to the forum zumi and Imdoingitrightthistime :butterfly:

I agree with everything that has been said to you, I hope you can find a dentist that will be willing to work with you both on your mouth and financially, some dentists will make a payment plan as lillyh has suggested. Do you live near a dental hospital, sometimes they take on patients and are usually very good.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover:
 
Back
Top