• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Advice needed please re pain following irrigation 2 weeks after extraction

L

littlewren

Hi, this is my first post on what seems a great forum, so I'm hoping someone can reassure me please. Please excuse if it's quite long!

2 weeks ago today I had 2 molars extracted, one on each side of my mouth, both second from the back. The dentist at the hospital where I was referred said it was a simple extraction.

I followed all the rules about not spitting out mouthwash, not gargling forcefully for a while etc. and as the days went on I just kept my fingers crossed that I wouldn't get a dry socket. I have been using salt water mouthwash 3-4 times a day after food and before bed.

A few days ago, I found that when I tried to brush the tooth behind on one side, as soon as the toothbrush touched near the gum line, it bled. There wasn't any pain as such, but the gum continued to be a little puffy around the large extraction site, even though I gently brushed it. This was the first time I'd been a bit more 'adventurous' in cleaning that particular tooth, so I hoped that was all it was.

Yesterday, I decided to go back to the dentist to have it checked as I was worried in case I had an infection. Of course, this wasn't the dentist that extracted the teeth as they were done at the hospital, so she didn't know the history. She was very vague and just said she would irrigate the site because of the gum being a bit puffy and said she would put a dressing on, which would fall out in 2 or 3 days. She said I didn't need antibiotics.

5 hours later, after not having eaten or drunk anything, I decided to have some lunch (eating near my front teeth) and gently used a salt water mouthwash again, as she'd told me to continue doing. I felt something 'gooey' in my mouth - it was the dressing!

I phoned the dentist's surgery and was told that she would ring me back. Then I received another call to say she'd gone home (nice grrr) and that another dentist would ring me later, which he did. He told me it didn't matter about the dressing, saying that it didn't matter if it came out.

This morning, I woke up early with my mouth hurting in that area, when it has been pretty good for the past 2 weeks. So it seems that having it irrigated has started it hurting! It has continued to hurt - not bad, but just there, whereas it wasn't before. I could do with taking painkillers to try and knock it on the head but I'm loathe to when I stopped taking them about a week ago.

Could the dentist have caused me a problem by irrigating and then applying a dressing which fell off?

I don't really want to have to go back again unless absolutely necessary, it costs me £20 in taxi fares each time as I have nobody to take me. Obviously I would if I really had to but...

I didn't have much faith in the dentist who did this. I asked about something on the other extraction site, it looks like it could be a stitch but I'm not sure myself. Her answer: "it could be..." I felt like saying, you're the dentist, don't you know? :(

Any advice would be really appreciated and apologies for the long post.

Many thanks,

Carrie

Re: Advice needed please re pain following irrigation 2 weeks after extraction

Hi :welcome:to the forum.

It could be that the gum is tender from the treatment she did on it. I find that the gums can stay feeling a bit tender for some time after extraction if we brush or the dentist does something in that area.

Your dentist doesn't seem very helpful towards putting your mind to rest. Could you ring the hospital maybe they can help.

I am not a dentist but things sound normal to me. Because you haven't brushed or have been careful when brushing around the extraction area the gums get soft and can bleed when brushed, they will toughen back up after a few days and the bleeding will stop when you can brush again properly. In the meantime keep the area clean after eating by rinsing. People take different times to heal so there is no hard and set rules. I would take the pain med you need, it is pointless suffering and you may find that after a couple of doses you won't need any more.

If the pain doesn't ease with pain meds and you get a really bad taste in your mouth then contact the dentist again. Nothing that you have said sounds out of the normal after having a tooth extracted. Try not to worry and don't let the pain build up. When we are worried it can make things feel much worse than they are, and a pain left to build up is very hard to get rid of. :butterfly:

Re: Advice needed please re pain following irrigation 2 weeks after extraction

Hi Carole,

Apologies for my late reply, I haven't been on here for a while and have only just found your reply. :)

Many thanks for your advice, it did settle down, you were right. I have another query though, which I've just put in a new thread so would be grateful for your advice with that too, if you wouldn't mind?

Many thanks,

Carrie

Back