• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Afraid of RCT on front tooth

H

happysunflower

I have lots of fillings but recently I got a new one on my incisive center tooth. I am so scared because fillings must be replaced and each time dentist always damage a little bit of the natural tooth. My problem is: someday they gonna reach the pulp and I will need a rct. I already have two rct but they are on the molars. I don't want a rct on a front tooth, just by thinking of it makes me sick! And also I feel ashamed because it is really hard to find someone with a filling on the front tooth.

I am young and I do everything I can to delay the replacement of the fillings (Im brushing for 2 to 3 minutes, flossing and mouthwashing 3x a day), I'm not eating sugar or acids anymore and I'm getting crazy about it. I only drink water and eat soft foods.

Have you guys had any similar experience?
What else should I do to keep them longer?
Is there any way I can avoid a root canal in the future?

Thank u so much and wish you all the best

fillings must be replaced??? I have never had a filling replaced

I've got 8 fillings in my front 4 teeth. They were done when I was 17 and had a heavy Coca Cola habit. I've had them for going on 43 years now and they're still fine.
The filling materials are even better now than 40 years ago, so there's no reason why yours will need done again for a very long time...

I've got 8 fillings in my front 4 teeth. They were done when I was 17 and had a heavy Coca Cola habit. I've had them for going on 43 years now and they're still fine.
The filling materials are even better now than 40 years ago, so there's no reason why yours will need done again for a very long time...
The fillings I got put in 6 years ago were terrible. Fillings are only as good as the material used.

What Gordon said :).

Re. prevention, make sure you don't use mouthwash after brushing (unless it has been specifically prescribed by your dentist), as this dilutes the fluoride from your toothpaste. Also, make sure you spit out the remaining toothpaste, but don't rinse with anything (including water).

You might also be interested in these pages which contain lots of tips:

How to prevent gum disease

How to prevent tooth decay

That is interesting about the mouth wash, I remember reading something about avoiding mouthwash on most occassions but its good for a few.

I had a root canal on my front tooth, and it was actually much easier than the one I had on a molar. It was my front top tooth. I had a childhood injury that broke the edge of the tooth, so I had a small filling to fill in the broken edge. However, the tooth very slowly died, and abscessed this year. Even with the abscess the root canal was very easy. The first root canal I had was on a molar, and I was petrified, and needed nitrous oxide to get through it. The one on my front tooth was done without sedation, just local anesthetic.

Although you will likely never need it redone. I did have my filling redone on my front tooth twice, but it was because the first one was done when I was nine, and had really crooked teeth. Once I got braces, the filling part didn't line up properly, and was "bulky", so a different dentist redid it. The second time was about 15 years later, because it was leaking in one small spot, and it made it a little discolored. The dentist wanted to redo because he was afraid the leaking would lead to decay. They did have to go a little more each time, but it never got near the pulp, and my root canal was entirely due to the injury I had when I was nine.

None of my other fillings have been replaced. In fact I am getting a tooth crowned this coming week, and the dentist said we didn't need to touch the filling that has been there since I was 20 (19 years ago), as it still looked good.

I had a root canal on my front tooth, and it was actually much easier than the one I had on a molar. It was my front top tooth. I had a childhood injury that broke the edge of the tooth, so I had a small filling to fill in the broken edge. However, the tooth very slowly died, and abscessed this year. Even with the abscess the root canal was very easy. The first root canal I had was on a molar, and I was petrified, and needed nitrous oxide to get through it. The one on my front tooth was done without sedation, just local anesthetic.

Although you will likely never need it redone. I did have my filling redone on my front tooth twice, but it was because the first one was done when I was nine, and had really crooked teeth. Once I got braces, the filling part didn't line up properly, and was "bulky", so a different dentist redid it. The second time was about 15 years later, because it was leaking in one small spot, and it made it a little discolored. The dentist wanted to redo because he was afraid the leaking would lead to decay. They did have to go a little more each time, but it never got near the pulp, and my root canal was entirely due to the injury I had when I was nine.

None of my other fillings have been replaced. In fact I am getting a tooth crowned this coming week, and the dentist said we didn't need to touch the filling that has been there since I was 20 (19 years ago), as it still looked good.
I know it's off topic but should I be ashamed that I am 31 and need Dentures?

I know it's off topic but should I be ashamed that I am 31 and need Dentures?

Not at all. Everyone has a different struggle. I have always taken great care of my teeth, and am having all kinds of trouble with them now at 39. I have had so many dental procedures done since last April that I actually have to stop and think about it to remember everything I have had done. So even with great dental hygiene and regular cleanings, it doesn't guarantee good teeth. One of my grandfathers had dentures before he was 30. He took care of his teeth, but the enamel was soft and he kept getting cavities. My other grandfather ate lots of sugary food and drank a pot of coffee a day, and had all his teeth until his death at 94. He only had two cavities!
We all have struggles, and sometimes fears, finances, or childhood experiences keep people from taking good care of their teeth, and other times people take good care of their teeth and still have trouble. So there is nothing to be ashamed of.

And also I feel ashamed because it is really hard to find someone with a filling on the front tooth.

A lot of people have fillings on their front teeth. Done nicely they should be unnoticable.
I have a filling on my front teeth as well, if if helps.

May I ask who told you fillings need to get replaced and in which context?

Last edited:
Back