• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Afraid of the "Switcheroo"... has anyone else had this experience?

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Afraid of the "Switcheroo"... has anyone else had this experience?

So the last dentist I was at before my current one, had a habit of doing what I call "the switcheroo".. Not only to me, my children but also several other friends.

There was my dentist who at first was very kind and easy to have dental work by,, but about 2 years ago he changed and started rushing and started this different thing where you would make an appt for him, he would come in and say hi but when the work was about to begin, he would come in and say. "oh my partner is going to do the work" and make you feel really awkward right in front of them . As I said it happened to myself, both kids andseveral friends. Actually one of my friends it happened to, the other dentist destroyed this teeth by shaving wayyyy too much off and my friend actually cried when he came home ahd showed her. The original dentist schrugged it off saying "that isn't a big deal, she didn't do anything wrong, ".. but clearly she did.. total denial of wrong doing or terrible dental work.. hence to say myself and about 4 other familes left the practice..

But now I'm afraid of it happending at my new practice,, going i and them trying to switch me off to another dentist . I'm trying to get over this.. and not worry ... I really don't want it to happen. Thankfully the switch options are a bit better, the last place the other two options were awful..

But I still fear it happening..Has anyone ever had this happen besides me?

This is one of the reasons I like going to a practice with only one dentist. A few years ago my dentist was out on medical leave for a couple of months and I wouldn't see the covering dentist eve though I was having a really bad toothache - I waited for him to return.

I do think you can make it clear to the dentist now that you don't want to see anyone else. If the dentist and his office won't respect that, it means they are not respecting you as a patient. Maybe just tell the dentist about your experience and your fear that could happen again? You can say that it's nothing negative about the other dentists, it's just that you trust him and that's it.

I totally hear you, I'm the same way, I probably would wait too Fearful. unless it got REALLY bad.. but I'm thinking of a way to let them know this.. I will have a talk next week when I go in and mention this. or maybe email the girls. and tell them to mark my file. they are really supportive . I have general anxiety and my psychologist says big anxiety trigger for me is change.. that is so true. I can have far less anxiety when i know what is giong to happen and who is doing it and i know they are good.. and compassionate.. then my anxiety level is way down.

Last edited by a moderator:
ps. the way you said it is really good.. "nothing negative about the other guys.., just I'm used to this dentist."

I worry about this all the time with my dentist and hygienist both and they even promise to let me know if something happens so I can reschedule. I'm pretty sure my dentist knows by now that no else is getting near me unless I'm dying or it's something she doesn't do. I mean the other guy does root canals and I wouldn't even schedule unless she was there.
At this point if I showed up and someone else came in I would probably just walk out and reschedule.

If you are happy with your current dentist maybe have a chat at your next appointment and just let them know that it takes a long time for you to build trust with medical staff and you would like to make sure your appointment are always with them. You can also ask a note be placed in your file to notify you if your dentist needs to be out on a day you are scheduled.

I usually call the week of my appointment and confirm that both my people are still scheduled for me just in case.

, he would come in and say. "oh my partner is going to do the work" and make you feel really awkward right in front of them . As I said it happened to myself, both kids andseveral friends.

But now I'm afraid of it happending at my new practice,, going i and them trying to switch me off to another dentist .

Hi KR I don't think this will happen at your new practice as it is not ethical to do this. Even in UK NHS (where Associate dentists only staying 6 months to a year maximum is rife) a dentist has to prescribe the treatment they carry out themselves as they are personally accountable for what they do.
It seems like your old dentist has some 'issues' - who rushes an implant for goodness sake? - which has caused him to behave like this and pass work on to junior staff. I am betting she was not a partner at all which implies business owner but rather an Associate.
I would have thought that with 'fee for service' dentists in USA rather than PPO/HMO it would be the norm for your appointment to be with the named person even in a multi-partner practice. Any change or a need to see someone else in an emergency would be for you to decide and should not be sprung on you at the last moment so it is hard to say no.
If it happens again, just decline and rearrange the appointment for later or change practice again.

Last edited:
Thanks again Fearful, Tigerstriped and Brit... exactly Brit, super unethical!! and actually I was curious as to why there was a big split in the old offices practice and I checked it out at the courthouse, there is definately quite a bit of unethical practices here. I'm glad I got out when I did !!

As for the new office. It does seem they are very ethical and are so kind and helpful, i don't think it will happen here but I fear because of the past that it could .. lets hope not!! and you are right if it does I will be polite.. and say like Fearful suggested, nothing negative about the other guys , its just a preference I stick with the same provider am comfortable with , it helps with the anxiety level.

Back