• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Afraid to go with yellow teeth

G

grumpymeatball

Hi everyone. This is my first post.

To be honest, I've been avoiding the dentist for a long time. I didn't go for almost three years until I decided it was time to make a change. I went to a new dentist and had a consultation. I went back for two more visits: a regular cleaning and to fix a cavity.

The dentist is very nice and her office is lovely. But I get really nervous about cleanings because I know they can tell I haven't been doing the best job and know it's been a long time. Unfortunately, I ignored the cleaning follow-up notices and now it's been another year since my last cleaning.

I know I need to go for general health purposes but I'm afraid because the backs of my lower front teeth are very yellow. I don't know if it is from staining (I drink green tea every day) or the enamel wearing away. It doesn't look like that on my front teeth. I'm scared they might tell me is it irreparable or that it is more serious than I realize.

I brush twice a day and use fluoride mouthwash but I've been bad about flossing regularly. I will usually start flossing for a few weeks and then slowly get lax about it until I've stopped completely. Being judged during cleanings is so hard and I know it's my own fault but I always leave feeling rather depressed and don't want to go back. Part of me wishes I could go to a different dentist for every cleaning so they never have to see me again.

Go for it!

I have the yellowest teeth on earth, and if mine are okay (they never say anything), I’m sure yours will be fine also.

You can do it. They’ll be glad to see you.

Don't be embarrassed. For one thing, even people who brush and floss regularly can have yellow teeth. Mine are pretty yellow and I am meticulous about my oral hygiene. My poor daughter was seriously sick her first few years of life, and had a lot of antibiotics. Her teeth are very yellow, and we have never had a dentist comment on it, or say that she has poor brushing skills.

Remember, the dentist and hygienist will see a lot worse than yellow teeth or plaque build up on a regular basis. They want to help you have healthy teeth.

Grumpymeatball (love your nickname!),

try not to worry about this. It's amazing you did the step to see a dentist after a long time and if this regards your teeth can't be that "bad" (there is no such a thing as bad teeth anyway). It's a year from your last cleaning and you feel the need to schedule again and you do reflect on your oral care (and you even know dental floss exists AND you have used it in your past!!), which puts you on the list of dream patients for any hygienist! Just keep in mind, your dentist and you hygienist work, on regular basis, with people who:

- never had a cleaning in their life
- believe cleaning is unnecessary and only a way to get more money from patients
- believe flossing unnecessary
- do not brush at all because they do not feel able to
- do not have teeth
- have white teeth
- have yellow teeth
- have black or grey teeth

The back of lower teeth is one of the spaces most prone to tartar, so that's where a dentist will find it almost on everyone, so do not worry about this either.

So putting it shortly: just talk to your dental team and let them know what worries you and schedule your cleaning. Oh and if any hygienist ever makes you feel judged, just find an another one. Your dental team should always be supportive and if there are any challenges for you in the oral care, they should discuss ways to solve them with you (getting cleanings more frequently for example or find some tools you will find easy to use).

Thanks everyone for your replies. It does make me feel a bit better to know I'm not the worst patient they've probably seen. I'd also like to try Invisalign down the road so it'd probably for the best that I try to get my teeth as healthy as possible now. I'll try to make an appointment soon.

Hi everyone. This is my first post.

To be honest, I've been avoiding the dentist for a long time. I didn't go for almost three years until I decided it was time to make a change. I went to a new dentist and had a consultation. I went back for two more visits: a regular cleaning and to fix a cavity.

The dentist is very nice and her office is lovely. But I get really nervous about cleanings because I know they can tell I haven't been doing the best job and know it's been a long time. Unfortunately, I ignored the cleaning follow-up notices and now it's been another year since my last cleaning.

I know I need to go for general health purposes but I'm afraid because the backs of my lower front teeth are very yellow. I don't know if it is from staining (I drink green tea every day) or the enamel wearing away. It doesn't look like that on my front teeth. I'm scared they might tell me is it irreparable or that it is more serious than I realize.

I brush twice a day and use fluoride mouthwash but I've been bad about flossing regularly. I will usually start flossing for a few weeks and then slowly get lax about it until I've stopped completely. Being judged during cleanings is so hard and I know it's my own fault but I always leave feeling rather depressed and don't want to go back. Part of me wishes I could go to a different dentist for every cleaning so they never have to see me again.

Oh my dear fellow dental friend, hugs. I'll show a pic of my front teeth (please ignore my dopey eye. If I could fix that, I would also). Anyway, I was horrifically terrified to go thinking mine were the worst ever. I was never made to feel like an awful person. I'll even put a pic of them up. I have two of them filled with tooth colored composite (front was done a few mths ago btw. the good one next to my good front was just done an hr ago, but I've no pics of that new one yet. Just the bad teeth with one good front 20190530_153212.jpgtooth done a few mths ago)
It's yellow due to my stupid Mt dew obsession. I never knew It turned yellow and I'm sad. But it's not rotten any longer. That's what counts. The one left of my fixed front was done today.)

So please don't feel bad. I showed mine a mouthful of rot. Yours will be as kind and loving as my dentist is. They can clean it right up also. Let me see if I can get a "see my 2 fixed teeth now" pic up also. He cleaned my yellowed Mt dew tooth so I'd love to see the difference as well. My bathroom lights are
Yellowish so I never saw the discoloration going on.

15592625512851024862338854922164.jpg
Looks like dentist cleaned up the yellow dew stain amazingly! They CAN clean your yellow stains also. I'm 99% positive.

Chromashadows, thank you for your sincere and honest reply. It means a lot to me! It's so hard to muster up that courage and I'm so glad you went to have your teeth cared for. They look great now and it is very motivating and inspiring to see your progress. That helps me a lot. Thank you!

Looks great Chromashadows. Good for you!!

Back