• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Another successful wisdom tooth story.

B

BigWuss

During my last cleaning the dentist gave me the dreaded news, it was time for my one and only wisdom tooth to come out. I'd been putting it off for over twenty years but it finally started to push the tooth next to it and was making my hygenist frown more than usual.

So a couple months later I made an appointment with an oral surgeon and started panicking. (Doom, despair and agony on me.) I turned to the internet (and the bottle) for comfort and found this site. After reading every post about wisdom teeth removal I started to feel alot better about things, it was a huge help, thanks everyone! So here's my short story:

My appointment with the oral surgeon was at 2:00 on a Friday to get my upper wisdom tooth on the left side removed. We'd already discussed this a week before at the consultation that since it was only one tooth all I would need is some novocaine. At 2:00 I was given a couple novocaine shots and at 2:15 the oral surgeon started his thing. I kept my eyes closed the whole time and went to my happy place. No pain at all, very smooth, no stitches. At 2:20 I was all done and sitting in a nice comfy chair with some gauze in my mouth. I was walking back to my car at 2:30, all smiles.

For the rest of the day I took it easy and changed the gauze when needed. I popped a couple Advils once in awhile but probably didn't even need them. The next morning the bleeding had stopped and I put together my breakfast in the blender. All my meals for the next week were soft, mushy stuff just to be on the safe side. A hand-held immersion blender is a wonderful thing, so is Trader Joe's French Vanilla ice cream.

Two weeks afterwards I went back for my follow-up visit and the surgeon said everything is healing up nicely.

So my advice is to not panic, go to a good oral surgeon, stock up on soft foods, get an immersion blender, eat ice cream, do sea-salt saltwater rinses, no sucking or smoking for at least a week.

Edit:
I totally forgot to mention using a cold compress for the first 24 hours and then a warm one the next day, didn't have any swelling and they felt great.

Last edited:
During my last cleaning the dentist gave me the dreaded news, it was time for my one and only wisdom tooth to come out. I'd been putting it off for over twenty years but it finally started to push the tooth next to it and was making my hygenist frown more than usual.

So a couple months later I made an appointment with an oral surgeon and started panicking. (Doom, despair and agony on me.) I turned to the internet (and the bottle) for comfort and found this site. After reading every post about wisdom teeth removal I started to feel alot better about things, it was a huge help, thanks everyone! So here's my short story:

My appointment with the oral surgeon was at 2:00 on a Friday to get my upper wisdom tooth on the left side removed. We'd already discussed this a week before at the consultation that since it was only one tooth all I would need is some novocaine. At 2:00 I was given a couple novocaine shots and at 2:15 the oral surgeon started his thing. I kept my eyes closed the whole time and went to my happy place. No pain at all, very smooth, no stitches. At 2:20 I was all done and sitting in a nice comfy chair with some gauze in my mouth. I was walking back to my car at 2:30, all smiles.

For the rest of the day I took it easy and changed the gauze when needed. I popped a couple Advils once in awhile but probably didn't even need them. The next morning the bleeding had stopped and I put together my breakfast in the blender. All my meals for the next week were soft, mushy stuff just to be on the safe side. A hand-held immersion blender is a wonderful thing, so is Trader Joe's French Vanilla ice cream.

Two weeks afterwards I went back for my follow-up visit and the surgeon said everything is healing up nicely.

So my advice is to not panic, go to a good oral surgeon, stock up on soft foods, get an immersion blender, eat ice cream, do sea-salt saltwater rinses, no sucking or smoking for at least a week.

Edit:
I totally forgot to mention using a cold compress for the first 24 hours and then a warm one the next day, didn't have any swelling and they felt great.

wow thank you for this. i'm going in tomorrow for my upper wisdom tooth to be removed. it erupted and is pointing towards my cheek. i'm terrified, no fear of needles just fear of having something ripped from my face. :( i'm just getting a local, i'm really scared but i hope this goes well you are giving me hope. my time is tomorrow at 12:50, hopefully this goes well. thank you for your story.

I had my wisdom teeth removed a long time ago (about 15 years probably) and I remember being very scared beforehand. I remember people saying my face would puff out and I'd look like a guinea pig, lol. I won't lie and say it was a nice experience... but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - and because they put you to sleep there's no problem about seeing the dentist and all his tools of the trade.

Scrambled egg is my recommendation for food afterwards... nice and soft. :)

you nailed it! scrambled eggs have been my friend through this i'm on my fourth day of healing and feeling pretty good. i didn't puff up at all. i just had a local so i was awake for the whole thing, even drove myself home, i was in and out in 20 minutes. i felt so stupid for worrying so much! this forum really helped me! best of luck to everyone. :)

Back