• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxious about final part of root canal! Success stories please!!

L

loopylass

Hi - everyone is so helpful on here and I‘m often reading other peoples stories for help with my own teeth.
I’m looking for reassurance as I’m in a tizz about an upper premolar that’s going to be completed next week. I’ve had a couple of failed root canals on other teeth that are now extracted, they were cracked teeth, and never got pain free even after initial clean out of nerve. This one was started in January and became infected recently so has been cleaned out, and is not giving me pain but is tender. The dentist did the tap test and it didn’t hurt - it’s just tender if I press on it with my tongue. The x ray didn’t show infection and I’d had a course of antibiotics prior to the cleaning. Dentist said it’s just some residual infection. I understand as Gordon says, that this is because the root treatment has not been completed. I’ve had tenderness for so long now with that tooth that I want to hope that it’ll be better after it’s been completed - but I’m worried it’ll end up being another failed tooth. I am nervous about the actual appointment as they’ll be masked up and in full PPE, which will be scary, but I am preparing myself for that, my main fear is that I’ll still have months of tenderness afterwards. It makes is so hard to forget about the tooth then. I can’t take anti inflammatory meds so have to rely on paracetamol to bring down any inflammation. Have others had similar tenderness that has gone away after treatment?

Hi loopylass,

sorry to read about your worries. It must be so challenging to deal with the anxiety if you have had failed root canals in the past :( I know many people here were worried about teeth being tender mid treatment, but this should all pass once the tooth is done. I will be keeping my fingers tightly crossed for this tooth to be ok. May it become a pain free successful root canal tooth that stays with your for a long, long time!

All the best wishes and let us know how the procedure went

Thank you Enarete ?? your words are very comforting, and I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Hey I totally hear your concern. I had my premolar done in December of last year and also the neighboring tooth due to difficult to diagnose pain. The premolar continued to ache so he went in twice. I am still having issues but no pain I think there is just some inflammation perhaps? No infection or cracks found. I was hitting high on the new crown so make sure your dentist checks that as it can cause tenderness.

I don't do well with root canals apparently. I have had 3 total and all were not well tollerated it seems by my body however to give you encouragement, two have ended upp calming down and hopefully the third will as well. My one tooth is going on 15 years problem free and yours will too!?

Just give it time. I personally feel that endodontic treatment is more invasive then they lead on and it can take your body time to accept and heal to the root canal. Just think positive. Chances are it will go just fine and is crack free. Be good to yourself, eat healthy and try and keep inflammation down in your body. You will be fine. Thinking of you!!!

Acheygirl thank you so much for understanding my worries. I’m encouraged that you have 2 successful ones and hopefully a 3rd. Think it’s made it harder as due to lockdown I’ve been caught mid treatment and had longer than normal to think, and also for the tooth to get infected again. I shall try to think more positive and be patient to allow healing. Thank you ?

Loopylass, you will be ok. This Pandemic has truly been hard especially when experiencing dental issues and pain. I don't know about you but I actually had anxiety and a sense of panic that it was hurting and the fear of Covid. I am so glad that you got the tooth retreated to get the infection. I bet you will be just fine. Just because the other teeth did not work does not mean this one won't work for you. Positive thoughts headed your way. Would you keep us posted?

Acheygirl, I felt just as you describe and it’s hard to believe that maybe things will improve for me but I hope so, you too. I will post back next Friday after the appointment

Have had the root canal finished and he was pleased with result - said he’d got right down to the tip. As it’s a premolar he’d said it would need a crown and he prepped for it today and used a scanner to get one made. I asked about pain and he said I might not need to take paracetamol but as he pushed the temporary crown into place I could feel it was tender so am preparing myself for some initial discomfort. I has tenderness for couple weeks after the initial cleaning in January so it’s going to be sore after all the work he did. Wish I could take anti inflammatory meds - do you think a cold flannel would help reduce swelling?

I’ve never had either root canal or crown before so not sure what to expect now but am pleased and relieved it’s over.

He was wearing a respirator so difficult to understand everything he said but he did keep reassuring me and saying I was doing well which helped my anxiety lessen.

Enarete and Acheygirl - thank you both for your support - it is so helpful to share our dental worries on here xx

Tenderness immediately after a root canal is so common it's almost surprising if you don't get any.
Cold compress or ice packs might help a wee bit, worth trying anyway.

Thank you Gordon

Back