• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxious about healing post extraction - can’t call dentist due to COVID-19

V

Vickers_x

Hi,

it took me 3 years to pluck up the courage to see a dentist about a filling that had fallen out. To cut a long story short I only went in the end as I couldn’t stand up from being in pain and subsequently had to have the tooth removed due to an abscess.
I am now 3 weeks post extraction (it was an upper molar).There’s still a slight hole but today I’ve woken up and there’s a dark pink soft lump in the extraction site. I have been going out of my mind trying to google a solution to this.
There is no pain as such but more of an intermittent twingey type feeling which I brushed off as being normal healing.
I really don’t want to have to even attempt to see my own dentist at the moment but will I need to it is this normal? I’m getting scared to eat or drink now because of it and it’s disturbing my sleep because I’m so anxious.
thank you

The chances are is that it's all part of the normal healing process, everyone heals differently and at different rates. Just continue to keep it as clean as you can and it'll more than likely continue to heal. It's very unlikely to be anything to worry about :)

You could try and get a pic and post it but that may be somewhat tricky!

The chances are is that it's all part of the normal healing process, everyone heals differently and at different rates. Just continue to keep it as clean as you can and it'll more than likely continue to heal. It's very unlikely to be anything to worry about :)

You could try and get a pic and post it but that may be somewhat tricky!

hi Mike. Thanks so much for replying! I have attached 2 pictures as best as I could possibly get. In one of them I’ve circled the red lump as it’s quite difficult to see. Appreciate any help/advice. Thank you

Attachments

• 50808E20-A533-48AE-A391-9CE574495D29.jpeg
    50808E20-A533-48AE-A391-9CE574495D29.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 677DCF98-5253-4978-B508-44CC98559EFA.png
    677DCF98-5253-4978-B508-44CC98559EFA.png
    2 MB · Views: 23
It looks fairly normal to me. The granulation (healing) tissue which fills and repairs the socket is usually much redder than the normal gum. Sometimes if there's still a bit of food etc trapping it can also make things a bit redder. You can see at the back of the socket its similar but just not as red, once its all covered it'll become pink and look and feel like normal gum :)

You could do some warm salty rinses to keep it clean. I wouldn't likely do anything else (other than maybe a gentle rinse) even if you were to come to see me!

It looks fairly normal to me. The granulation (healing) tissue which fills and repairs the socket is usually much redder than the normal gum. Sometimes if there's still a bit of food etc trapping it can also make things a bit redder. You can see at the back of the socket its similar but just not as red, once its all covered it'll become pink and look and feel like normal gum :)

You could do some warm salty rinses to keep it clean. I wouldn't likely do anything else (other than maybe a gentle rinse) even if you were to come to see me!

that’s wonderful. I will follow your advice. Thank you so much again for your time

Hi Vickers
Just wanted to say I know how you’re feeling worrying about healing - I'm 2 weeks post extraction—it’s so hard knowing whats normal and not. Whether to leave alone or do something.
They are all so helpful and patient on here and with the current situation its a valuable support for us who are anxious.
Thank you to all ?

Sometimes they heal slowly but seldom there are problems that require intervention.

Dr Raymond - thank you that’s encouraging to hear. I never had fear of dentist until all the recent issues I’ve had, and now I seem to need reassurance more than others maybe do. It’s so helpful to have advice from professionals such as yourself

Hi Vickers
Just wanted to say I know how you’re feeling worrying about healing - I'm 2 weeks post extraction—it’s so hard knowing whats normal and not. Whether to leave alone or do something.
They are all so helpful and patient on here and with the current situation its a valuable support for us who are anxious.
Thank you to all ?

mph definitely. It helps to know you’re not the only one too. I had a similar situation to you where I was anxious about going and then a load of stuff went wrong with this tooth before it was ultimately extracted with just re confirmed my anxiety. This forum is excellent and the people here are definitely invaluable not just for dental care but for emotional well being and mental health too ❤️

I’ve had 6 teeth out over the years & I always feel aches and twinges for weeks after, that sounds fairly normal.

looking at your pic that also in my opinion looks ok too.

Back