J
Jimbod42
Junior member
- Joined
- Oct 27, 2020
- Messages
- 3
- Location
- Exmouth uk
Hello, not sure if the best way forward for me. After years of alcohol misuse (2 years dry now) , and grinding my teeth while asleep. My teeth are in very bad condition, I honestly cannot remember when I saw a dentist last, over 20 years ago. After working on the mental health issues I had and getting my alcohol addiction under control, I have been wanting to do something about my oral hygiene but am so scared of finding a dentist, It’s a mix of both fear of the treatment, and also as I’m so ashamed of being judged due to the fact I have neglected my teeth and know this is self inflicted. I’ve been constantly taking painkillers for the last few months due to toothache and have had a few abscesses (I believe they were anyway) which I just left untreated as I was so scared to get hold of the emergency dentist, this also effects my sleep as when I’m grinding my teeth it causes pain which wakes me up, even with gum shield in place which I purchased from a pharmacist.
I really would like to know if I did get to a dentist, whether I’d maybe be able to chat with them over the phone first to maybe make it a bit easier and explain the situation I find myself in, I don’t know if this is possible. Also whether it would be best to wait for a NHS practice or to a private one.
Apologies if posting on wrong forum I just don’t know what’s best.
I really would like to know if I did get to a dentist, whether I’d maybe be able to chat with them over the phone first to maybe make it a bit easier and explain the situation I find myself in, I don’t know if this is possible. Also whether it would be best to wait for a NHS practice or to a private one.
Apologies if posting on wrong forum I just don’t know what’s best.

! Thanks for joining!