• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Baby tooth extraction

L

Lozboz

Good morning,
I was hoping someone could reassure me re my son’s tooth extraction. He broke a tooth chewing a ruler, thankfully his baby tooth D, and not an adult tooth. The dentist tried to repair a few months ago but decay has started to set in and my son was in pain so they extracted on Tuesday. He woke at 5.30am this morning and said it was really throbbing, he was very upset. Is that normal? It’s settled now with painkillers. We’ve been salt water rinsing since 24hrs post-extraction.
I’ve attached a pic of his site. I think my own experiences are coming into play here, but I’d really appreciate some reassurance if possible. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 6E920CBA-9673-40BA-A883-7693CFEE0CC8.jpeg
    6E920CBA-9673-40BA-A883-7693CFEE0CC8.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 10
He's probably bumped it a bit in his sleep. Just carry on with Calpol and reassure him. I wouldn't do the salt water rinses on a child, it's asking a lot for them to not swallow a bit too much of it.

Thank you, Gordon! He has settled down now and I’ve had a look and it looks very normal compared to pics I’ve found…phew!

Sorry to bother again so soon…he just had some really intense throbbing again. It’s settled again with the painkillers but everything I read suggests dry socket, although I’ve also read it’s very uncommon with baby teeth. I’m really worried he’ll be in agony with no dentists open on Christmas Day (I’m catastrophising I know) Is throbbing normal after extraction?

Hey Lozboz,

In 30+ years, I have yet to see a dry socket on a baby tooth. He may be getting a bit anxious and therefore reacting more than normal to the slightest discomfort.

I would suggest plenty of reassurance that it is just normal healing and painkillers as required.
I am sure he will be fine.

Thank you v much for replying. You were totally right of course, he’s fine now. I think he was just in more pain than he expected to be and I’m totally neurotic when it comes to teeth! Thanks again.

Back