• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Back again. Swollen gum. Had enough

S

SallyUK

Hi
I’m pretty sure I’m going to ride this out till Monday but needed to express my utter exhaustion with dental issues and anxiety. I am waiting for my upper molar to be removed, a crown fell off months ago, temp filling put on and a decision to root canal or extract put on hold while another tooth decided to give problems. It has been decided to extract and that happens in a few weeks, meanwhile I am due an extraction of my canine on Monday.

At the beginning of Feb the gums around this back molar swelled a bit and emergency dentist said I needed antibiotics so I took them. She said I might get a bump on the side of the tooth, but I never did and things settled. I did end up with some ulcers and pain on the roof of my mouth and checked in with my own dentist, who said he couldn’t see an immediate issue with the molar and the pain was muscular from clenching. Fine to wait and extract in a few weeks.

Last night pain increased towards back of mouth/jaw and similar to clenching pain, which I’ve been doing as terrified of my extraction coming up. The gums swelled today, on one side of the tooth, (the bump the emergency dentist predicted?) turned red and then vile drainage of pus and blood. Gum swelling reduced but sore still. Is this an abcess. I’ve only ever had a small hard bump with them before, no pus. Maybe a gum infection?

So I’ve sat with this, thinking is this an emergency? I don’t want any more antibiotics. I am using salt water rinses. I’m scared it will get worse but will call dentist if it does but don’t know what worse is as now not sure what is infection pain or clenching pain. I don’t expect any answers here, I’m just expressing the nightmare of living with this right now.

Is it a coincidence that this gum swelling has happened twice and each time it has been a few days after I’ve been at my dentist? I’m wondering if it is a localised gum infection, the tooth root that’s left is a bit rough. I was at the hygienist on weds and the time before I’d had a check up. So both times I would have had the tooth ‘prodded’.

I was feeling Okish about my extraction, staying off the internet, staying calm and thinking positive that it’s a good thing but now my mind is preoccupied again because my gums on this other tooth are now an issue. I really hope I don’t get sent away on Monday with more antibiotics. I want both these issues gone. I’m scared things will get worse before Monday and really don’t want to see another dentist. Can’t afford the call out charge either. But also thinking I want out of this discomfort but not sure what that would entail..... whether they can do much as the swelling is draining

My cheek feels hot and burny but it often does with the clenching, other than that I have no temperature and the swelling looks localised and definitely draining. I’ve never ever had swollen gums like this and never had pain and ongoing issues like this either. Get toothache, get sorted has been my experience prior to this. My anxiety makes it so hard to think what to do and what not to do.

Rant over. I’m just so exhausted I just don’t want to deal with anything. Can’t think properly anymore. Just going to carry on with rinses and try and calm down and ignore it to some extent and pray I can cope on Monday.

Last edited:
Oh, Sally, so sorry to hear you are having such a hard time still. I know it’s hard to believe, but it will get better.

I wrote a “journal” about my nightmare year in that section of this forum, and honestly, I asked my dentist to take all my teeth out and fit dentures at one stage. I just felt I couldn’t go on. In retrospect, I think I possibly had work that wasn’t dentally needed and was the neuralgia I was later diagnosed with (I had such terrible ongoing pain, and eventually after months and months of it, my dentist agreed to do root canals because the teeth did have big amalgam fillings, and removing the nerves, or the teeth, was the only thing that might solve the pain, which appeared to have no cause).

I felt at times that I was quite mad, between treatment, worrying about what was going to happen next, and also worrying about costs/time off work. Those root canals cost me £2,000, as well as a load of other problems I caused with bruxism, my partner had been made redundant (worrying about him and the financial strain was what started me clenching), and I was irrationally terrified of losing my own job because I kept needing to go to the dentist. In reality, my manager was super-supportive and kind, but my thinking became really distorted for a while. At one stage I burst into tears in his office and told him I was scared I would be sacked and we’d end up homeless. He couldn’t have been more shocked!

Now, I am still a bit mad, but far less peak mad than I was! This time last year I couldn’t have imagined that I might try to offer reassurance to someone. Now, while I realise I sound like a dick saying this, I know I can make it through whatever I have to, dental stuff, work stuff, home stuff. You can too. I promise. ❤️

@Judythecat thanks Judy. I’m sure you are right and I’ll be ok. Right now I can’t think straight, all I want is to be out of discomfort, eat and sleep again. I am ok with a plan but the plan keeps changing and I’m not coping with the sense things aren’t improving. I’m angry tonight too. Not feeling in control and had enough of rinsing my mouth, worrying if the swelling and pain will increase and feeling upset at what feel like ‘band aids’ to my issues. I know logically that issues are being addressed but not sure I’m feeling like there is understanding about the impact on my quality of life. I suppose dentists do this as a job and see you, send you away and just work through what’s presented but when you live with issues in between times, it can be too much. The money is a worry. I’m not working right now and feel like I couldn’t! Life just feels stuck....

I’m not good with anything medical, find it hard to judge what’s ok and what’s not. The swelling and pus freaks me out ? but do know that it draining has to be a good thing. So disgusting. Glad I can write here. I’ve even stewed garlic to rinse with, antibacterial. I never wanted to be a tooth expert! ?

I understand completely what you mean about it being “just” the dentist’s job, while it’s YOUR MOUTH and YOUR LIFE! But I think that’s the same in every job. Sometimes in my job I have to tell students they have failed exams/modules, which has a huge impact on them and their immediate future plans - I feel compassion for them, but ultimately I have dozens of other students to deal with, a milliion things to do, and it’s just a crappy part of my day. (Meanwhile, my colleagues joke I should retrain as a dentist because I am so obsessed with teeth.) I also know what you mean about not feeling able to work while so much is going on and it is so draining. My job can feel like a performance at times - hard to sustain when you are in pain and mentally exhausted, but I just had to paint on a lipstick smile, and pretend everything was okay!

My hunch is that once you have these teeth out, you will feel much better. The source of the infection will be removed, and you will have a chance to heal and process what’s gone on. Hopefully things will then stabilise and you will get a break!

Oh Sally, my heart hurts for you, going through another recurring issue. You know I can empathize. One problem fixed, another one comes up.

I am also frustrated and anxious about my "plan" changing all the time, and not knowing what is going on. My front tooth still hasn't settled after the apico, and the endodontist said if it still is sore next week, she is going to refer me to the oral surgeon. I can't even fathom having my very front upper tooth out. I can't get an immediate implant either, because of the bone loss from the abscess and the apico. I will have to go months with some kind of temporary, which terrifies me, because of having to take it out to eat in public places.
The abscess draining is a good thing, from what I was told. My endodontist said that when it drains, it isn't eating into the bone like mine did with my front tooth. My husband had a draining abscess for well over a year, because he refused to go to the dentist. He eventually had the tooth pulled.
I am really hoping for both of us that our teeth get sorted out sooner rather than later. I feel like I am going to have no teeth left after all this. My endodontist told me straight out that I probably shouldn't get any more root canals, as my body seems to reject them. I am hoping that it doesn't reject this implant, since it seems that implants or dentures are my only options now.
When are you scheduled to get the tooth removed? I would say that they probably will want to put you back on antibiotics, but maybe since it is draining they will let it go.

Oh Sally, my heart hurts for you, going through another recurring issue. You know I can empathize. One problem fixed, another one comes up.

I am also frustrated and anxious about my "plan" changing all the time, and not knowing what is going on. My front tooth still hasn't settled after the apico, and the endodontist said if it still is sore next week, she is going to refer me to the oral surgeon. I can't even fathom having my very front upper tooth out. I can't get an immediate implant either, because of the bone loss from the abscess and the apico. I will have to go months with some kind of temporary, which terrifies me, because of having to take it out to eat in public places.
The abscess draining is a good thing, from what I was told. My endodontist said that when it drains, it isn't eating into the bone like mine did with my front tooth. My husband had a draining abscess for well over a year, because he refused to go to the dentist. He eventually had the tooth pulled.
I am really hoping for both of us that our teeth get sorted out sooner rather than later. I feel like I am going to have no teeth left after all this. My endodontist told me straight out that I probably shouldn't get any more root canals, as my body seems to reject them. I am hoping that it doesn't reject this implant, since it seems that implants or dentures are my only options now.
When are you scheduled to get the tooth removed? I would say that they probably will want to put you back on antibiotics, but maybe since it is draining they will let it go.
Nightmare isn’t it? So challenging to quality of life, mental health, bank balance ?

Your fears are similar to mine. I get the partial tomorrow & didn’t get told straight up that I can’t use it to eat, so don’t know how I will manage. Aaaargh but, I just want infection out of my mouth. I really do. All my jaw pain and muscle issues, I’m now thinking they are possibly chronic infection as well as clenching. I just want no pain.

Thanks for info re draining. It’s disgusting and don’t really understand why it’s happened? Is it the gum or the tooth or both? I left the tooth as was advised ok to do so for now, root canal was an option at first, so I’m guessing it’s deterioated as no proper crown on it. I really don’t want antibiotics and hope he can go ahead with canine extraction despite this new issue. I really need to feel I’m getting through the treatment plan, can’t stand the anxiety anymore. It’s like permanent exam nerves...

Interesting your dentist thinks your body rejects root canals, I’m beginning to think similar, that my body is easily irritates by work. It’s inflammation issues I guess and stress, lack of food and sleep play into that.

The dentist said rejection is rare, but does happen. Apparently my body is seeing it as a foreign object to fight against. That must be why the apicos don't help.

I, too, just want the infection out. After learning that mine has been chronic and gone on for years undetected, it scares me to think of a flare up in the future.

Update: I have had the second molar extracted this morning. Back at home numb but relieved I can start to heal.

Sad to loose another tooth but relieved the source of infection is gone! Dentist said usually antibiotics would keep an infection at bay for a while and more antibiotics and waiting not a good idea. So he did it.

I'm sure I'm in shock it's over. Taking it easy for rest of day. No rinsing my mouth for 24 hrs. Does that mean I can't clean them?

Update: I have had the second molar extracted this morning. Back at home numb but relieved I can start to heal.

Sad to loose another tooth but relieved the source of infection is gone! Dentist said usually antibiotics would keep an infection at bay for a while and more antibiotics and waiting not a good idea. So he did it.

I'm sure I'm in shock it's over. Taking it easy for rest of day. No rinsing my mouth for 24 hrs. Does that mean I can't clean them?

When I had my back upper molar extracted, they told me not to rinse for 24 hours either, but to go ahead and brush my teeth as usual. They said to avoid brushing the tooth next to the extraction site the first day. It was super awkward getting toothpaste out of my mouth, but you kind of let it fall out, then use a tissue or paper towel to wipe out the excess.

When I had my back upper molar extracted, they told me not to rinse for 24 hours either, but to go ahead and brush my teeth as usual. They said to avoid brushing the tooth next to the extraction site the first day. It was super awkward getting toothpaste out of my mouth, but you kind of let it fall out, then use a tissue or paper towel to wipe out the excess.
Thank you. I forgot how hard it is not to spit, swill and generally not do things that might dislodge the clot.

Back