• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

burst abscess on gum & broken infected teeth

T

thetricktolife

i have had two broken infected teeth for a while & because of being incredibly ill haven't had the remainders of those two teeth (which are next to each other) removed! one has a bit missing, the other there is only a tiny stump left.

a few weeks ago i got a swelling on my gum near it & after a while it went away, i have over the past few days had a soreness return & a few hours ago looked in the mirror and noticed a swelling with pus and blood inside it.

just a few minutes ago, i noticed it has burst and the pus i must have swallowed whilst eating! it is a smidgen bloody but not too bad from what i can tell! (tastes disgusting though)

i was basically wondering, now it has burst how urgent is it that i see a dentist? would i be safe to wait a couple of days? or do i need to see them urgently?

thanks for your time.

Hi the sooner you can get to see a dentist the better but nothing drastic is going to happen to you in a couple of days. You may feel ill with the abscess filling up and draining as it isn't nice at all.

The infection won't spread anywhere else either but as soon as you can go go and see the dentist. :)

Nothing bad will happen in a couple days. I had an abscess on a very broken molar that I had to let go for a couple of weeks until my insurance kicked in to remove the tooth, but it did continue to fill up and then pop and around the tooth it stayed very sore. Then literally the morning after receiving my insurance card I has some slight facial swelling so I ran to the dentist. There was no better relief than having that tooth out, so please do make sure you get it taken care.

To promote healing, you may want to use salt water rinses multiple times throughout the day. But please do call a dentist and have it and your teeth properly treated. You'll feel so much better - my infections and swollen lymph nodes didn't go away until I started going to the dentist.

Back