• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Calculus Buildup Even with Daily Brushing and Flossing and Twice-a-Year Dental Cleanings?

J

jaime

Calculus Buildup Even with Daily Brushing and Flossing and Twice-a-Year Dental Cleanings?

So I brush 2x a day, floss daily, and get regular cleanings. But I've never really looked intimately at my teeth until a few days ago. I took a mini flashlight over my teeth and saw some surprising tartar buildup and orange spots, which was weird since my last cleaning was last than two months ago. The most surprising of all was one of my bottom teeth has extreme tartar buildup (halfway up the tooth's backside). Googled and now know it's calculus. I read it takes a while for tartar buildup to get this bad. So now I'm left wondering why none of the 3 dentists I've seen in the past 8 months told me about this. Why would a dentist ignore calculus and not attempt to clean it?

Re: Calculus Buildup Even with Daily Brushing and Flossing and Twice-a-Year Dental Cleanings?

2 months is plenty of time for calculus to build back up after a scaling, it forms quite quickly on some people. Me for instance :)

Re: Calculus Buildup Even with Daily Brushing and Flossing and Twice-a-Year Dental Cleanings?

Wow, I didn't think it could build up that fast. I had my last cleaning 2 months ago, but I think the buildup has been on that tooth for atleast a year because after cleanings I would still feel that 'bump' on the tooth later in the day. I just thought the tooth was eroding with age since the dentist never said anything about it. And I was too afraid to ask about the tooth for fear that the dentist would say something is wrong with it and more work needs to be done. Foolish, I know. :redface:

Back