• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can a night guard cause any serious issues?

Thanks for all the replies, I've noticed since this morning it seems to have caused something like a tiny blister during the night (a small white patch with some irritated red around it, it's clearing up though thankfully). Clearly I can't wear it until its adjusted, without hurting myself so I'll email them later then they should get it first thing in the morning.

Does anyone know if its really necessary for a guard to go past the gumline? Mine does by about 5mm in some areas at the front but hardly at all with the molars.

I was also thinking about doing some DIY smoothing, I've heard a heated up spoon works well, but I'm not willing/rich enough to risk messing it up on the inside ?

I was given a night guard a few years ago. I never got used to it so stopped wearing it. It actually made matters worse and I chewed a hole in the guard. I kept it for a while but then threw it away and have never worn one since. I no longer go to the dentist who originally gave me one because he moved away and have had two or three dentists since and none of them have ever suggested a night guard so I am wondering whether I actually needed one in the first place. And I was never aware that I grinded my teeth until that dentist told me and who knows it could have only been a temporary thing and I no longer grind

I was given a night guard a few years ago. I never got used to it so stopped wearing it. It actually made matters worse and I chewed a hole in the guard. I kept it for a while but then threw it away and have never worn one since. I no longer go to the dentist who originally gave me one because he moved away and have had two or three dentists since and none of them have ever suggested a night guard so I am wondering whether I actually needed one in the first place. And I was never aware that I grinded my teeth until that dentist told me and who knows it could have only been a temporary thing and I no longer grind
Hi, thanks for answering, do you mind explaining what you meant by the guard made matters worse?

ok the guard made me clench more and grind more that I ground a hole in the mouth guard. They say stress causes grinding and the stress of wearing the guard made me grind even more

ok the guard made me clench more and grind more that I ground a hole in the mouth guard. They say stress causes grinding and the stress of wearing the guard made me grind even more
Ah thank you, that does not sound good at all! I'm glad things improved for you regardless (or just guard less ?). At the moment I think I do need one for my tmj, it did feel better even after the first night, I just also need it to fit

I notice I "chew" on the guard as well, and felt like it was making me clench more, just because there was something in my mouth. The guard has deep tooth marks in the hard plastic so I apparently put a lot of pressure on it at night. The dentist said that it the guard looked like that, imaginr what I was doing to my teeth without it. No wonder all my molars are cracked!

Hi Rjayne,

was thinking of you this morning while brushing my splint.. :) how are things going for you?

All the best wishes

Hi Rjayne,

was thinking of you this morning while brushing my splint.. :) how are things going for you?

All the best wishes
Thank you for enquiring, to be honest I've not been in touch with them yet, I've been procrastinating over the weekend as my dentist isn't in on Mondays (... I realise it's nearly Wednesday), you've reminded me to get on it, I'll make sure to report back!

They managed to squeeze me in an appointment tomorrow afternoon, calling back pretty much as soon as I sent the email, I'm away for the weekend so hopefully I can take my guard with me (and not leave it behind accidentally!) ?

Just updating to say after the appointment the guard feels so much better not only whilst it's on but also to take off, that is a big relief, I hated removing it before. Its been smoothed and finished properly so I feel like I've actually got the product I paid for ?. One more appointment in a fortnight to check how it's working out and then I'm home free, fingers crossed it won't take much getting used to now.

This is so great to hear!! :) :) :welldone::cheer::cheer2:

So the good news is I can wear this thing all night no issues, so that's great and I'm really hoping the weird aches/sensations in the morning wear off quickly. I have realised I'm kind of anxious of putting it in and a bit beforehand but I'm yet to put my finger on why, I'm guessing I just need my subconscious convinced it's not going to do any harm (maybe my conscious side too haha).
Anyway, what I would like to ask is - Does anyone have a good method for removing them? Like back first, or up in one go?

It varies depending on the type of guard. Given a few weeks practice though and you'll probably manage it with just your tongue :)

Back