• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can Infection Spread So Quickly?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dancinhamster
  • Start date Start date
D

Dancinhamster

Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2013
Messages
24
Location
Hampshire
Hello all,

I've posted here about ongoing problems I've had with jaw and teeth, but as a refresher, I have TMJ (which causes dreadful pain, dizziness, nausea, muscle spasms, swelling etc), and started with additional pain in my upper left back tooth.
I told my NHS dentist about this (Nov 14th). He had X-rayed my jaw the week before (for TMJ) and told me there was nothing wrong. I went back because the roof of my mouth swelled (Nov 29th). He insisted there was nothing wrong. I went back and he again said my teeth & gums were fine, and took an impression of my upper teeth for a bite guard (2nd Dec). By the Sunday 8th Dec I was vomiting, sweating, and in terrible pain. I had to get a lift into Southampton to see an emergency dentist. She wasn't very good - insisting I had an abscess. Having had many I assured her it wasn't and asked for an X-Ray. She then said I had a gum infection & prescribed 250mg of Amoxil. By the following Thursday I was still in terrible pain and went back to my own dentist. Once again he told me there was NO infection, and sent me away. I was beside myself. No sleep, sickness, terrible pain.
On Xmas Eve, after more vomiting and pain I managed to make an appointment with a private dentist. He took two X-rays - and found a root infection in the tooth. He gave me 500mg Amoxil, and I booked in for a dreaded root canal next Tuesday (Jan 7th).
Since then the pain has spread to the tooth next to my upper left canine - the tooth next door but one. Is this because the infection went on so long (from Nov 14th)??? I'm so scared as it is - and the thought of MORE painful and expensive treatment is so depressing. I no longer trust the NHS dentists I've seen, so I'll be paying private prices - and I lost my job last March.
Has this neglect from the two dentists caused more infections in more teeth?
 
Hi Dancinhamster,
Not the ideal start to the New year!
Reading your post, I would say that the infection has been present at least since the 29[SUP]th[/SUP] of November. That swelling in the roof of your mouth was most likely caused by an infection in the upper left back tooth. This is also known as an abscess, so the emergency dentist was right! Abscesses can present in a number of different ways. Just because you felt a different type of pain previously does not mean that you do not have an abscess now.
Sometimes, antibiotics alone cannot settle it and root canal treatment to clear the dead nerve. At least now you are booked in to have the necessary treatment done.
It is not really possible for the abscess to spread to adjacent teeth. However, the pressure generated by the infection can press on nerve endings in the jaw and make if feel like it is spreading. I am sure once the root canal treatment is done all the pain will subside.
I do not think the treatment from the two previous dentists has caused the infection to spread to other teeth.
I hope the root canal works out well and you have better luck with your teeth in 2014!!
Lincoln
 
Hello all,

I've posted here about ongoing problems I've had with jaw and teeth, but as a refresher, I have TMJ (which causes dreadful pain, dizziness, nausea, muscle spasms, swelling etc), and started with additional pain in my upper left back tooth.
I told my NHS dentist about this (Nov 14th). He had X-rayed my jaw the week before (for TMJ) and told me there was nothing wrong. I went back because the roof of my mouth swelled (Nov 29th). He insisted there was nothing wrong. I went back and he again said my teeth & gums were fine, and took an impression of my upper teeth for a bite guard (2nd Dec). By the Sunday 8th Dec I was vomiting, sweating, and in terrible pain. I had to get a lift into Southampton to see an emergency dentist. She wasn't very good - insisting I had an abscess. Having had many I assured her it wasn't and asked for an X-Ray. She then said I had a gum infection & prescribed 250mg of Amoxil. By the following Thursday I was still in terrible pain and went back to my own dentist. Once again he told me there was NO infection, and sent me away. I was beside myself. No sleep, sickness, terrible pain.
On Xmas Eve, after more vomiting and pain I managed to make an appointment with a private dentist. He took two X-rays - and found a root infection in the tooth. He gave me 500mg Amoxil, and I booked in for a dreaded root canal next Tuesday (Jan 7th).
Since then the pain has spread to the tooth next to my upper left canine - the tooth next door but one. Is this because the infection went on so long (from Nov 14th)??? I'm so scared as it is - and the thought of MORE painful and expensive treatment is so depressing. I no longer trust the NHS dentists I've seen, so I'll be paying private prices - and I lost my job last March.
Has this neglect from the two dentists caused more infections in more teeth?

im no dentist and i can't offer any advice but you are absolutely right about NHS dentists, my dentist has left my teeth in a right state and im in pain, i am now looking at private dentists. don't forget dentists do work actually work for US! i hope you get your teeth sorted out soon.
 
Thank you both! I appreciate your answers!

Drhirst - the private dentist found decay & infection in the root. The emergency dentist saw that my lower jaw was swollen, and assumed I had an abscess in the bottom jaw. This swelling is my TMJ. The pain was in my upper left tooth. The NHS dentists weren't thorough, and kept sending me away despite the fact that I hadn't slept, eaten properly, was in terrible pain, and was vomiting...I'm really disappointed by them :cry:

The other tooth has been jumping like crazy tonight - whenever I drink or eat (which is mostly mashed potato, soup & yoghurt), so I think I may have a cavity as it's getting worse. It's reassuring to hear that the infection from the root of the other tooth won't spread - thank you for that :)
Dreading the RCT....feeling so frightened after the previous disasters, but I'm hoping it'll work. I'll ask him to check my other tooth out...maybe he can chuck a quick filling in at the same time :giggle:

Bailey - I used to be private years ago when I had a well-paid job. The dentist was great. Very gentle. The NHS dentists are so over-booked, and I honestly believe they're so under pressure that they can't really devote enough time. It's a shame as they're always rushed. I don't think they were incompetent - just too busy to investigate. I spent 30 mins with the private chap - and about 10 max with the others :(

I'll let you know how it goes - and thanks again for your kind wishes - hope the new year is kind to your teeth!
 
Last edited:
Hi, sorry to but in, I really dont mean to be rude but I just felt the need to stick up for nhs dentists. My dentist is private and nhs but I am an nhs patient and I have never felt that he has rushed any of my appointments, infact quite the opposite at my first few appointments when I was nervous. I dont really know how nhs works (dont they have to see a certain amount of patients per day/week or something?) but I think it must be a pretty tough balancing act for the dentist (meeting their targets vs spending more time with patients). Please dont right off all nhs dentists as some of them are still great even with tough targets to meet. Personally I am very grateful to nhs dentists, we are very lucky to have the option of nhs dentists here in the uk otherwise a lot of people (me included) would not be able to afford to even get treatment.

Equally the private dentist I went to before my current nhs one spent ages with me but did not acknowledge my fear or try to reassure me at all, he just seemed interested in finding as much treatment as possible to add to the treatment plan. After almost an hour it was up to nearly £9000. But it hasnt made me think all private dentists are like that as I know better. Of these two dentists I know which one I prefer!

Sorry if it seems like a rant but I just dont want people to be put off nhs dentists before giving them a fair chance.
 
Last edited:
Hi Spanna I am 100% with you on this one. I was badly neglected by an nhs dentist over three or 4 years and left in total agony. But over the last couple of years I have had some very good treatment from nhs dentists, I had one that wasn't too good inbetween seeing 4 different dentists and between them they have managed to get me sorted out and helped me with my phobia, and I was terrified. Now I have a wonderful dentist that takes her time and does proper cleans and check ups and it so friendly it is like visiting a friend. I never thought I would be saying that about a dentist.

Like Spanna says please don't put all nhs dentists into the same barrel there is good and bad in all and we don't always get on with everyone. The trick is to keep looking and seeing different dentists until you are happy.

I wish you all the best with your treatment and future appointments :butterfly::butterfly::butterfly:
 
Ditto Carole and Spanna. I have only ever had treatment by NHS dentists and cannot complain about much except the current long wait to get an appointment for a check up. (I do admit that I cannot be that flexible with times though due to working hours)
 
Good Morning,

actually, if you read my post, I defended the NHS dentists. I stated that I felt they were unable to devote the time, and that they were NOT negligent.

It's reassuring to know that your own personal experiences with NHS dentists have been positive.

However, please bear in mind, when you've been left in extreme pain for weeks and weeks and weeks, sent away several times, unable to eat and sleep, it is hard to trust the dentists concerned.

To to add insult to injury, I have received a letter from the NHS practise this morning stating that I have not finished a course of treatment. This pertains to the bite guard. I was told it had not arrived on the 12th Dec, and I would be contacted by the clinic as soon as it came in. I've had NO messages from them - despite them having my landline and mobile numbers. Kind of proves my point that they are a bit remiss in their treatment - don't you think? Especially as the letter was dated 30th Dec, and states that I must contact them in 7 days. They're closed over the weekend. So, I have Monday to call them. Or I lose my £214.00

I started this thread as a question - NOT an attack on NHS dentistry.
I'm actually rather upset that my question - and worry concerning the pain - has been kind of ignored in favour of telling me I'm wrong about my experience of the NHS :cry:
 
Last edited:
sorry, that was my fault jumping in.:shame:
 
Hi Dancinhamster,

Please don't take my post personally it wasn't meant like that and I definatley am not trying to tell you that you are wrong about anything.

The comment that made me reply was actually baileybaileys
im no dentist and I can't offer any advice but you are absolutely right about NHS dentists, my dentist has left my teeth in a right state and im in pain, I am now looking at private dentists.
again nothing personal and I do feel for anyone who receives less that satisfactory treatment, I know how much of an impact this can have for a dental phobic person. It just seemed like a bit of a sweeping statement. I totally understand that if people have bad experiences with nhs dentists they may then be more inclined to try a private dentist next time (If finances allow) or vice versa. I did this myself.

I was just trying to point out that while some nhs dentists may be more driven by meeting targets some are not and do take the time needed to get it right. Think they are just hard to find sometimes though which isn't much use when you're in as much pain as you are.

The nhs dentists that you saw really don't sound very good as no dentist should just send you away in so much pain that you are unable to eat and sleep properly. I wouldn't return to them. Are things any better now with the stronger antibiotics? I'm sorry that I can't be of much help advice wise :(. I hope drhirsts advice helped a little.

I saw on another thread that you are nervous about the rct, I cant make that go away but I can reassure you that they really are not as bad as we all fear. As I said in the other thread they can be quite long and boring appointments but should not be painful and make sure you let the dentist know if you feel anything so he can numb you more.

Good luck for Tuesday :clover::clover: If you have any questions about rcts feel free to ask!
 
baileybailey,

I was still typing my reply when you posted. I hope you don't take my comments personally as they are really not meant like that.

I am sorry you received bad treatment, whether from nhs or private dentist its unacceptable! Did you complain? And have you managed to find the right dentist for you yet?

If either of you can travel to Midlands I can recommend a great dentist! ;)
 
Dancinhamster no way am I telling you that you are wrong, I totally understand how you feel about the way you have been treated. I was left for over 20 months in total agony being told that nothing was wrong with my mouth only to find out when a tooth broke and I ended up losing it that I had had a abscess for a long time. I also ended up having to have a rct in the tooth next to the one lost. I was in total agony I could not think, eat sleep my head was bursting. I hate the man that did this to me and the practice that would not deal with my concerns.

I was trying to encourage you to have a look for another nhs dentist as going private is very expensive especially if you are not working. If you have savings that you can use to go to see a private dentist then I think if that is what you wish to do that is the right thing for you. I would never tell anyone they are wrong on here. We all have to make decisions that are right for us as individuals. I am not in your shoes and I am not in your pain I have no right to tell you what to do or attack you for your choice. As stated I would never do this.

I was trying to give another side to a story of similar problems that you have suffered, and hopefully help you in knowing that not all is lost and there can be a happy outcome when things seem most helpless.

I really think this is what the others on here were trying to do as well, sorry it has upset you. I hope you will continue to come on and have these discussions with us and I also hope we can be of some help to you.

:(:(:( a real big sorry that this has upset you :(:(:( are we forgiven :butterfly::butterfly::butterfly:
 
Carole, Spanna & Bailey

THANK YOU all!

I've been a wreck today. The antibiotics don't seem to have stopped the discomfort & pain in the back tooth, and the other tooth is jumping as if the nerve is exposed.
Crying has only made my jaw swell up - I'm an idiot - stress makes the TMJ so much worse :shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::):shame::shame:

I e-mailed my NHS practise this morning regarding their letter. I've explained that I was sent away several times, that my request for antibiotics was ignored, and that they failed to contact me regarding my bite guard. I doubt I'll get any sense, so I'll go in first thing on Monday.

Its taken such a huge toll on my life - and I know how ridiculous that sounds, trust me. I've missed out on parties, nights out, races (I run), good food and a few Xmas drinks. Nothing important, but enough to spoil my birthday and the festivities. The GOOD thing is that I've lost about 6lbs! Always a silver lining.

I'm popping Paramol like crazy, and trying to remain calm regarding Tuesday. Seriously - dentists, drills, needles, pain - stick a clown in there and that'll be ALL my phobias :giggle::grin:

Dammit - I can't get my smilies to work!!!!!!!

Hoping you're all well with no dental pain xxx
 
I have sent you a pm I hope it helps. I have been where you are and I know it is really bad. Any dealings you have with this practice put in writing to the practice manager.

In the meantime could you find and go to see another dentist, or wait until you have seen the dentist on Tuesday and see what happens.

I really wish you well and I hope you get this sorted out soon. Try an ice pack on your face and cool salt water mouth washes, it was heaven for me. I found heat made things twice as bad. I even slept on a cold water bottle. It isn't a cure but it worked for me a bit it might help you.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:
 
Carole, Spanna & Bailey

THANK YOU all!

I've been a wreck today. The antibiotics don't seem to have stopped the discomfort & pain in the back tooth, and the other tooth is jumping as if the nerve is exposed.
Crying has only made my jaw swell up - I'm an idiot - stress makes the TMJ so much worse :shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::):shame::shame:

I e-mailed my NHS practise this morning regarding their letter. I've explained that I was sent away several times, that my request for antibiotics was ignored, and that they failed to contact me regarding my bite guard. I doubt I'll get any sense, so I'll go in first thing on Monday.

Its taken such a huge toll on my life - and I know how ridiculous that sounds, trust me. I've missed out on parties, nights out, races (I run), good food and a few Xmas drinks. Nothing important, but enough to spoil my birthday and the festivities. The GOOD thing is that I've lost about 6lbs! Always a silver lining.

I'm popping Paramol like crazy, and trying to remain calm regarding Tuesday. Seriously - dentists, drills, needles, pain - stick a clown in there and that'll be ALL my phobias :giggle::grin:

Dammit - I can't get my smilies to work!!!!!!!

Hoping you're all well with no dental pain xxx

i know how you feel, thats why i just jumped in as im furious with my dentist. i had to see another at my practise as mine had gone on holiday. i had a back tooth pulled in october and am still in pain with dry socket! i went in when it was really bad, my dentist wouldn't change the packing and the receptionist said 'if you're still in pain in 2 days then ring' why the bleedin hell should i, i was there and in pain!! i have teeth crumbling and they told me it was probably plaque falling off and me thinking it was a tooth, (when i know the difference between a piece of plaque and a tooth) i have a tooth next to the one that was pulled out, he cracked the filling and he just put more filling over the top of the crack!! i went back as i said i wasn't happy with that so he filed it down and put more filling over it!!! it feels as though he put a brick there, its really sharp and i can feel with my tongue the crack, so i asked the dentist i had to see what he would have done and he said he would have replaced the entire filling, as i went out of his room i heard the nurse say 'its alright if you don't have to pay for it'!! they also said that to my mother once. i like you have not eaten since october and have dropped 2 dress sizes, christmas was ruined for fear of toothache and not being able to eat or drink, i was also in a foul mood and im really at the end of it.

have you tried the doctor with your TMJ? they usually put you on Amitriptyline for that.

once again i do apologise, i just saw red and sounded off. i know what its like to only eat paracetamol and ibuprofen and toothache is the worst, i really hope you can get sorted.
 
baileybailey,

I was still typing my reply when you posted. I hope you don't take my comments personally as they are really not meant like that.

I am sorry you received bad treatment, whether from nhs or private dentist its unacceptable! Did you complain? And have you managed to find the right dentist for you yet?

If either of you can travel to Midlands I can recommend a great dentist! ;)

hi, no, i didn't take them personally, i was angry at my dentist and just sounded off, i've not yet put in a complaint, i just thought perhaps if i paid i might get better treatment, i don't know! on monday i will be looking at a couple of dentists, one is the sister branch of the one i'm at and the other is a private one near enough in my doorstep and have come from Guys, they sound good and my son would get free treatment and they do Denplan aswell, im just going to look at everything.
 
hi, no, i didn't take them personally, i was angry at my dentist and just sounded off, i've not yet put in a complaint, i just thought perhaps if i paid i might get better treatment, i don't know! on monday i will be looking at a couple of dentists, one is the sister branch of the one i'm at and the other is a private one near enough in my doorstep and have come from Guys, they sound good and my son would get free treatment and they do Denplan aswell, im just going to look at everything.


Good luck :clover::clover::clover: they sound a nightmare I hope the new dentists are going to treat you properly. Don't settle for bad treatment no matter how many dentists you have to try. :butterfly:
 
Wow - it's amazing how many people have had negative experiences :shame:

We're all brought up to trust what health practitioners tell us, aren't we? I think the overwhelming message is to stand up for yourself and speak out if you feel you're not being taken seriously or treated well....but that's easier said than done.

My tooth pain has been awful today - and yet another tooth (front left incisor) is now hurting. It's like sharp needles being pushed into it. So - that's two teeth with needles, and one that feels hot and like a bee-sting.
Can they fill other teeth when they do RC's, or will I have to wait longer?

Feel like chopping my head off! I can't imagine what other people with multiple tooth pain go through. It must be horrific :eek:

My GP has refused to acknowledge TMJ. She refused to refer me to a Chiro after my two car accidents, so I'm having to pay for fortnightly treatment for my back/neck too. I'm in the process of finding another GP who can be more helpful.

Maybe healthcare here in Hampshire is over-stretched?

Take care all xxx
 
Wow you really havent had much luck with drs or dentists have u?!

When I first started my treatment I needed 2 rcts and multiple fillings, my dentist did any filling around the teeth he was doing rcts on at the same appointment as that area was already numb so it made sense for him to rather than me having to have another appointment and more injects. Needless to say I was very happy with that! So yes they can do both in 1 appointment. Hopefully the teeth are close together so it means less injections although tbh if done slowly you can hardly feel them anyway.
 
sorry i got it wrong its neuralgia they give amitriptyline for not tmj. (just thought i should correct it).
 
Back
Top