• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Check Up Do You Prefer a Dentist Who Says Number to The Assistant or Says Nothing Until The End

R

robbiebee

Check Up Do You Prefer a Dentist Who Says Number to The Assistant or Says Nothing Until The End

Hi

My old dentist when I went for a check up did not say anything to his assistant and he just discuss things at the end. Usually that I was doing a good job of the cleaning and to come back in 6 months. He retired 5 years ago and I went to a new dentist where I live now and the my new dentist before the examination would explain what she was going to do and the say numbers to her assistant 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and the same for the bottom and then explain that she was going to use a probe on my gums and she would say numbers to the assistant which were all zeros. She has now left and my new dentist who is very nice again does not say any numbers.

I was wondering what people preferred? I prefer the numbers as I know if there is going to be a problem.

Re: Check Up Do You Prefer a Dentist Who Says Number to The Assistant or Says Nothing Until The End

I prefer English.

I don't care if he or she uses numbers and says what is wrong. What I don't like is numbers and words that don't tell me if there is something really wrong or kinda wrong.

Silence would be better. A summary of every thing at the end would be just fine.

Re: Check Up Do You Prefer a Dentist Who Says Number to The Assistant or Says Nothing Until The End

I like the numbers, but I just like numbers so that helps

sounds like you had your gums probed and those pockets recorded in your chart which is the right thing to do now and then.

I had no clue what the numbers were on Monday when he was checking my teeth, so I kind of panicked. I realized that he had a tone when he said 7 and I was like "ah poo... big numbers are bad". AFTER he did all the numbers, he explained to me what he was doing. Maybe that was smarter tbh- I might have started crying if I knew ahead of time.

I always asked about the numbers what there mean, what the dentist was calling out as she was super quick last week as my normal dentist was away, so this frighten me. I knew about gum pockets.

Do I prefer the dentist not to call numbers out, it will worries me either way but need to know what is going on I don't like all the mumbling as well to the assistant/helper