• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Chipped front teeth (photo attached) Easy fix or costly & difficult?

T

TKB1974

So, slowly but surely I’m working through my dental fears. In the last 1.5 months I’ve managed 2 root canals, a crown, a full dental exam/cleaning & 2 filling replacements. The only thing that’s still concerning me is the fact that I have two chips on my front teeth (circled in pic). My dentist didn’t mention the chips & I didn’t either, because I’m maxed out on dental benefits until January 1st. Just curious if this is an easy fix or is it something that will take a lot of time/money? I’ll also be getting a night guard in January as well as I grind/clench my teeth at night & my front teeth come right down on top of each other (no overbite at all). Thoughts? Please tell me it’s a cheap & easy fix! ?

Attachments

• 701CAFA8-979F-4E34-A45D-1790888683F2.jpeg
    701CAFA8-979F-4E34-A45D-1790888683F2.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 31
I would just smooth that down a bit to make it less noticeable. So very cheap and very easy. Depending on your bite it might be possible to bond in a little bit of composite to the upper tooth, also cheap and easy.

I would just smooth that down a bit to make it less noticeable. So very cheap and very easy. Depending on your bite it might be possible to bond in a little bit of composite to the upper tooth, also cheap and easy.
Thank you so much! One quick follow-up question; Am I okay waiting until January to have it fixed? I just don’t want to endanger the health of my teeth by waiting, but I assume my dentist would’ve said something if it was urgent. Now that I’ve finally caught up on dental I don’t want to risk anything. ?

It will be absolutely fine to leave it till then.

Thank you so much for your quick response(s), Gordon. Much appreciated! ?

So, slowly but surely I’m working through my dental fears. In the last 1.5 months I’ve managed 2 root canals, a crown, a full dental exam/cleaning & 2 filling replacements. The only thing that’s still concerning me is the fact that I have two chips on my front teeth (circled in pic). My dentist didn’t mention the chips & I didn’t either, because I’m maxed out on dental benefits until January 1st. Just curious if this is an easy fix or is it something that will take a lot of time/money? I’ll also be getting a night guard in January as well as I grind/clench my teeth at night & my front teeth come right down on top of each other (no overbite at all). Thoughts? Please tell me it’s a cheap & easy fix! ?
Hi there just wondering how your crown went? Was it bad getting the temp crown procedure, may i ask why you got the crown on that tooth or was it a root canal tooth? Thanks so much

Hi there just wondering how your crown went? Was it bad getting the temp crown procedure, may i ask why you got the crown on that tooth or was it a root canal tooth? Thanks so much
Hello!
Both the temporary crown & the permanent crown procedures went well. The temp crown took quite awhile to fit/place. The dentist said the tooth was a bit “tricky.” It was my farthest back molar on the top. That being said, the procedure wasn’t painful or uncomfortable- just lengthy. I was very fearful initially so I had nitrous to help chill me out a bit, which did help. My dentist was awesome at continuously checking in throughout the temp crown placement to make sure I was doing okay. She let me know if I needed to take a break or if anything hurt that I could just raise my hand and she’d let me take a rest. I had to have a crown due to a cracked molar + root canal. The whole experience was so much better than I was anticipating. Please feel free to ask me any other questions you might have. Best wishes to you! ❤️

Hello!
Both the temporary crown & the permanent crown procedures went well. The temp crown took quite awhile to fit/place. The dentist said the tooth was a bit “tricky.” It was my farthest back molar on the top. That being said, the procedure wasn’t painful or uncomfortable- just lengthy. I was very fearful initially so I had nitrous to help chill me out a bit, which did help. My dentist was awesome at continuously checking in throughout the temp crown placement to make sure I was doing okay. She let me know if I needed to take a break or if anything hurt that I could just raise my hand and she’d let me take a rest. I had to have a crown due to a cracked molar + root canal. The whole experience was so much better than I was anticipating. Please feel free to ask me any other questions you might have. Best wishes to you! ❤
Thank you so much for your reply.

im getting a crown placed within the next month I have to have a metal band around the tooth first unfortunately (struggling and constantly rubbing tongue along it) I still can’t eat on it properly either.

my tooth is also in same position as yours. May I ask how long it took before you could confidently eat on ur crowned tooth? Mine hasn’t had a root canal as I’ve been trying to avoid that (traumatic experience a few months ago with 2 failed rtcs) it has cracked tooth syndrome as no visible crack but has had a total of 4 fillings over the years.

I just want to feel normal again and eat without fear.... so glad your experience went well I’m praying for the same. ❤️

Thank you so much for your reply.

im getting a crown placed within the next month I have to have a metal band around the tooth first unfortunately (struggling and constantly rubbing tongue along it) I still can’t eat on it properly either.

my tooth is also in same position as yours. May I ask how long it took before you could confidently eat on ur crowned tooth? Mine hasn’t had a root canal as I’ve been trying to avoid that (traumatic experience a few months ago with 2 failed rtcs) it has cracked tooth syndrome as no visible crack but has had a total of 4 fillings over the years.

I just want to feel normal again and eat without fear.... so glad your experience went well I’m praying for the same. ❤

I was VERY fearful (initially) to eat on that tooth- some post traumatic stress from previous pain (cracked tooth with infection to the root/nerve). I think I gave it a few days before I carefully tried using that tooth of softer food (pasta, sandwich, softer fruit, veggies, etc). Once I realized that it did not hurt, I used that side of my mouth for chewing again. I avoided hard/crunchy foods until I had the permanent crown placed & even with the permanent crown I’m still somewhat apprehensive about really crunchy or hard food. I think I’m totally fine to eat those things, but I’m just a little nervous still. Once you’ve experienced really bad dental pain, you’ll do just about anything to avoid feeling that kind of pain ever again (at least that’s the case for me). Also, I constantly rubbed my tongue over the temp crown because the tooth texture felt different. I still catch myself doing it with the permanent crown every once in awhile, but it think it’s because the tooth feels so smooth & pain-free now! Wishing you pain-free, worry-free eating very soon. I know it’s tough trying to feel “normal” when the worry is always in the back (or front!) of your mind.

I was VERY fearful (initially) to eat on that tooth- some post traumatic stress from previous pain (cracked tooth with infection to the root/nerve). I think I gave it a few days before I carefully tried using that tooth of softer food (pasta, sandwich, softer fruit, veggies, etc). Once I realized that it did not hurt, I used that side of my mouth for chewing again. I avoided hard/crunchy foods until I had the permanent crown placed & even with the permanent crown I’m still somewhat apprehensive about really crunchy or hard food. I think I’m totally fine to eat those things, but I’m just a little nervous still. Once you’ve experienced really bad dental pain, you’ll do just about anything to avoid feeling that kind of pain ever again (at least that’s the case for me). Also, I constantly rubbed my tongue over the temp crown because the tooth texture felt different. I still catch myself doing it with the permanent crown every once in awhile, but it think it’s because the tooth feels so smooth & pain-free now! Wishing you pain-free, worry-free eating very soon. I know it’s tough trying to feel “normal” when the worry is always in the back (or front!) of your mind.

aw thank you I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your reply. I am exactly the same after going through the most excruciating pain I’ve ever experienced in my life with an infected cracked tooth also to nerve then having the failed 2 rtcs and in the end extraction I think it’s really messed me up mentally and I’ve never been the same (it’s been 4 months of issues since that happened) I feel I’m so close now but still feels so far away till I won’t be consumed with my mind on my teeth.

it’s comforting to know I’m not alone in the little things like checking the tooth a lot with tongue, I’m currently wearing a mouth guard at night due to the stress this has all caused I now clench, I feel it’s hurting this banded tooth a little hoping it’s ok as dentist has adjusted guard multiple times. (he knows my mobile off by heart now as we speak so often ?)

I can’t wait for the day I can eat anything without worrying about pain, I miss corn chips and salsa so bad haha. Thank you so much again means more than you know for your support and info.

Back