• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Chronic infection is gone! I feel so much better!

@JJC it was really only about a week before I felt completely different…more energy and overall well. However, I had my tooth extracted and the whole abscess and infection manually cleaned out. The root canal didn’t completely take care of it, and neither did the apicoectomy that I had after the root canal didn’t work. It was only until the tooth was gone that I felt better.

So yours may take longer if your immune system is cleaning up the leftover infection.

@MountainMama Thanks so much for your reply. I think you’re right, I’ve been told there is chronic infection present elsewhere other than the tooth that will only clear with time now that the infection in the actual tooth is clear.

At what point did you know / decide that the root canal /Apicectomy hadn’t worked for you and you needed to get it extracted instead? Was it because you still had general symptoms or could you still feel the pain around the tooth itself? For me, he’s said the infection has fully cleared from the tooth, so I assume that’s completely taken care of, it’s just I’m still getting the more general symptoms and pain in other areas like jaw and neck.

Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it.

@MountainMama also what was the difference between your apicectomy and when you had the abscess manually removed and cleaned out? Is that not what the apicectomy would have involved?

@MountainMama also what was the difference between your apicectomy and when you had the abscess manually removed and cleaned out? Is that not what the apicectomy would have involved?
The apicoectomy just takes off the tip of the tooth root. The idea is that the root can harbor infection still.

When they go in manually, the surgeon removes the tooth and cleans out the whole socket. He basically was able to see where the abscess had been and scraped out every bit of infection. I had a lot that the root canal and apico did not get rid of.

Back