• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Completely terrified of getting my wisdom teeth removed.

hoboflotovoto

hoboflotovoto

Hello everyone.

Upon waking up this morning for college, I had the sudden realization that I am getting all four of my wisdom teeth removed on Wednesday, bright and early. And now I've worked myself into a panicky, terrified mess. I have only been to the dentist twice in my life. The first time I was like, 10. I hated him, and the dentist, and I never went back. Not until my impacted wisdom tooth got infected to the point that I was in a feverish state and unable to even close my mouth because it was so swollen. I finally went to a different dentist, who seemed nice. But I don't trust easily. She cleaned and filled a bunch of cavities I had. I had to get four needles on each side just to not feel it, and even then I was uncomfortable. They kept talking about weird things, the suction tube kept making me gag (My mouth is very sensitive and I gag easily, just the slightest touch) and I kept feeling like I was gonna choke. She gave me penicillin and tylenol with codeine for the pain.

Then I find out all four of my wisdom teeth need to be removed. By an oral surgeon at a college. Temple to be exact. This terrifies me. Will they know what they're doing? My consultation was over a month ago, and my memory is very bad so I don't remember much of what the oral surgeon told me. I remember she was nice and I liked her, but it doesn't help me now. I have bad anxiety, and I'm afraid of pain and or any sort of gagging and choking feelings. My best friend told me he had been put to sleep and didn't remember a thing.

From what I understand, I will be awake. Now that I'm thinking about it, I really don't want to be awake or coherent at all. Because then I will know they are cutting up my mouth, and I will thinking about it and drive myself insane and probably give myself an anxiety attack I know I should probably tell the dentist this. I've been fantasizing about ways to avoid it. I feel like I'm being stupid and childish. But to me it feels like I'm getting my limbs sawed off by some murderer or something.

I believe she said something about novacaine or some sort of gas. I don't really trust it. What if it's like those movies where you feel all the pain but they have you on these drugs so you can't even react or tell them.

I'm sorry for this really long rant o_O
But I'm glad to have stumbled upon this site. I'm hoping maybe someone has some advice to help me deal with this. ^^; Thank you for listening!

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

Upon waking up this morning for college, I had the sudden realization that I am getting all four of my wisdom teeth removed on Wednesday, bright and early. And now I've worked myself into a panicky, terrified mess. I have only been to the dentist twice in my life. The first time I was like, 10. The dentist was only cleaning my teeth, but I remember how painful it was and how he cut my gums all up in the process. I hated him, and the dentist, and I never went back. Not until my impacted wisdom tooth got infected to the point that I was in a feverish state and unable to even close my mouth because it was so swollen. I finally went to a different dentist, who seemed nice. But I don't trust easily. She cleaned and filled a bunch of cavities I had. I had to get four needles on each side just to not feel it, and even then I was extremely uncomfortable. They kept talking about weird things, the suction tube kept making me gag (My mouth is very sensitive and I gag easily, just the slightest touch) and I kept feeling like I was gonna choke. She gave me penicillin and tylenol with codeine for the pain.

Then I find out all four of my wisdom teeth need to be removed. By an oral surgeon at a college. Temple to be exact. This terrifies me. Will they know what they're doing? My consultation was over a month ago, and my memory is very bad so I don't remember much of what the oral surgeon told me. I remember she was nice and I liked her, but it doesn't help me now. I have bad anxiety, and I'm afraid of pain and or any sort of gagging and choking feelings. My best friend told me he had been put to sleep and didn't remember a thing.

From what I understand, I will be awake. Now that I'm thinking about it, I really don't want to be awake or coherent at all. Because then I will know they are cutting up my mouth, and I will thinking about it and drive myself insane and probably give myself an anxiety attack I know I should probably tell the dentist this. I've been fantasizing about ways to avoid it. I feel like I'm being stupid and childish. But to me it feels like I'm getting my limbs sawed off by some murderer or something.

I believe she said something about novacaine or some sort of gas. I don't really trust it. What if it's like those movies where you feel all the pain but they have you on these drugs so you can't even react or tell them.

I'm sorry for this really long rant o_O
But I'm glad to have stumbled upon this site. I'm hoping maybe someone has some advice to help me deal with this. ^^; Thank you for listening!

I have the same fear as you do too, feel very bad that we have to go through this, the only method I know would be be honest to your dentist and speak the concerns you have politely to him. Also would be great to ask him that if you could stop the procedure at anytime when you feel pain, if the dentist refuses, changing dentist would be a good choice. Hope my comment helps,
UltFear.

:welcome:to the forum

The person doing your wisdom tooth removal will be capable of doing it, if it is a teaching school there will be a tutor on hand to check what is being done, and to make sure things are going fine. Both for you and the person doing the extractions. You did say that it would be an oral surgeon, so more than qualified to do this for you.

Your fears are not stupid they are very real. Explain how you feel when you get there, they are very good and they know that we are nervous, they are used to seeing all kinds of things and will be able to help you calm down and stay calm.

You won't feel anything you will be really numb, they will know if you are having pain or are getting stressed out. I don't know what the gas is that they are giving you but it will help, and you will still probably still be able to respond to anything they say to you.

Try not to get too stressed out, could you ring the hospital tomorrow and speak to someone that can explain a bit more to you and answer any questions you have. They will be able to put your mind at rest a bit before you go.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: let us know how you get on.

Back