• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Confused about tooth pain

D

debsky

Hi. I don't know what to do about my teeth as I don't even know what to ask when I go to a new dentist. To give a little history my last visit to a NHS dentist was horrific......no exaggeration. I went with lower molar tooth pain which was persisting. I had a dental xray taken and he said nothing showed up on it. The pain persisted and he recommended a root canal 'to see what was going on in there'. I was uncomfortable from the start but the deeper he went the more painful it became. I managed to stop him and asked for more anaestheic which he obliged. After more drilling the pain became really excrutiating and I have never felt pain like it! I tried to shout stop and put my hand up but he kept going. Also whilst he was drilling he was rested on my hair and was pulling on it a lot which also hurt. I tried so hard to be brave but ended up getting out of the chair while he was still working because he wouldn't stop. I said to him sorry no way can I go through that and he packed it full of gauze and told me to come back when it had settled down. Well the pain never settled down infact I continued in severe pain and lasted 2 days in agony before I tele a private dentist and asked him to pull it for me. I got a prompt app and didn't experience pain with the extraction and felt immediate relief. I am now experiencing similar pain in a right top molar and an on off pain in a bottom right molar. Along with the tooth pain I have also got constant headaches and pain upon pressure in the upper part of my skull above the temples. I have suffered from temporomandibular problems in the past which may be due to either the fybro or an overbite/small jaw. I had an xray on the painful molar about 5 months ago which again was clear. What should I be aware of regarding teeth with this type of problem before I visit a new dentist?

Sorry you had such an horrendous experience, there's no excuse for that behaviour nowadays.
I can't really answer because I don't understand what you're asking?

I still have intermittent pain in a few of my molars and sometimes it persists for about 2 weeks and then it goes then comes back at a later date. If x-rays show nothing wrong, should a root canal or extraction be advisable in this situation? I know that people with Fybromyalgia sometimes get nerve pain attached to their teeth which comes and goes and wondered if dentists are more clued up nowadays about Fybro and its effect on teeth? I suppose its hard to answer unless you yourself suffered from this condition and I understand that now, sorry about that x

If x-rays show nothing wrong, should a root canal or extraction be advisable in this situation?
Not usually. Assuming they look OK visually too.

I know that people with Fybromyalgia sometimes get nerve pain attached to their teeth which comes and goes and wondered if dentists are more clued up nowadays about Fybro and its effect on teeth?
Yes they should be.

Back