N
Nameless
Member
- Joined
- Nov 3, 2012
- Messages
- 67
- Location
- England
Okay I know this sounds a bit odd at first, but ever since I started having panic attacks over my fear of the dentist (about a year and a half ago) I have realised that they have come about by thoughts about dental procedures or having things wrong with my teeth and needing extensive treatment. Basically, it all started when I thought about at least trying to find a dentist that specialised in phobics like myself and I sort of played scenarios over in my head that everything would be alright: so thoughts like sedation would be there; that I would really warm to the dentist and they were expert at treating phobics; I didn't need anything doing beyond a cleaning or something; there would be gadgets there (i.e drill-alternatives, numbing gel etc.) etc. Now I did this to try and comfort myself and to give myself a sort of hope that there hopefully would be some sort of dentist out there that would be able to help and that is what got me looking at this website ages ago before I made an account here.
But along with that hope that I would find a dentist I liked, I also got unwanted thoughts of nightmare procedures which have made me cringe and have played on my mind a lot and has put me off looking for a dentist a bit. What also didn't help was my friends telling everyone about their toothache, painful extractions, new fillings and numbed faces all over social networking sites; before I just used to ignore it because when I was younger I used to think it was only adults who got things like fillings etc. and I used to never think that would happen to me because I looked after my teeth well and that I was younger than them. But my friends having this done and telling us all about it on social networking sites just hit me hard that most people my age (nearly 17) are starting to have stuff like this done - leaving the thought in my head of when will I need stuff like that doing (hopefully not for a long time!)
So yeah, the thoughts of having dental treatment really don't appeal to me and the thoughts that come into my head out of the fear really do get me down and make me worry even more 
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else gets these "thoughts" in their heads and also if anyone has any effective coping strategies that help? Thanks
But along with that hope that I would find a dentist I liked, I also got unwanted thoughts of nightmare procedures which have made me cringe and have played on my mind a lot and has put me off looking for a dentist a bit. What also didn't help was my friends telling everyone about their toothache, painful extractions, new fillings and numbed faces all over social networking sites; before I just used to ignore it because when I was younger I used to think it was only adults who got things like fillings etc. and I used to never think that would happen to me because I looked after my teeth well and that I was younger than them. But my friends having this done and telling us all about it on social networking sites just hit me hard that most people my age (nearly 17) are starting to have stuff like this done - leaving the thought in my head of when will I need stuff like that doing (hopefully not for a long time!)
So yeah, the thoughts of having dental treatment really don't appeal to me and the thoughts that come into my head out of the fear really do get me down and make me worry even more 
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else gets these "thoughts" in their heads and also if anyone has any effective coping strategies that help? Thanks





. She would always tell me all the gory details, including the fact that the dentist was always “angry” at the state of her teeth and when I tried to ask her to stop because I was “ a bit squeamish” she told me that that kind of attitude would get me nowhere and everybody at some stage in their life would end up undergoing at least one nasty dental procedure no matter how well they look after their teeth, it was all just one of life’s inevitabilities.
This thought terrified me for a long time, then I suddenly realised that in all the time I had sat opposite this lady, I had watched her crunch her way through a 500g bag of pear drops every single day, washed down with 3 cans of irn-bru per day. That made me realise that whilst I may still face dental work at some point, I can, to some extent, control the likelihood of this and if and when this does happen, I also knew I was in safe hands with my own dentist who would help me though any treatment.
, when trying to get to sleep at night… So I started playing word and number games in my head so as not to give the dental thoughts any space – counting backwards from 100, naming as many bands/films/countries etc beginning with a certain letter of the alphabet. My CBT therapist did emphasise that this kind of thing is a short-term measure to change the way in which you use thought processes and as a technique to overcome the negative thoughts, more focus should be on the ability to answer the negative thoughts.
. Or that people would just be aware of others’ discomfort and keep their horror stories to themselves.
but still, it is a comfort in a funny kind of way)...