• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crazy Dental phobia - Does anyone think the same things?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dissolved Girl
  • Start date Start date
D

Dissolved Girl

Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2010
Messages
21
Location
Bristol
Hi every one, i'm sorry the story below is so long, i thought it would be helpful for you to understand how this all began for me;

Shortly after leaving university i started getting minor panic attacks, nothing serious, just panicky before walking
into a pub or being afraid to sit and eat a meal in a restaurant etc.

Then i suffered a cold in March last year (2009) and it gave me a terrible toothache. I was in immense pain
and went to the dentist where he told me i needed a root canal to get rid of the problem. The pain wasn’t causing
me to panic, it was just distressing.
My dentist (who is a lovely man) started the root canal and after about an hour i started to panic because of the
taste, noise etc. I kept having to spit out the water because the smell of the infection/bone being ground down.
I was so panicked i couldn’t go on so he filled my tooth in with disinfectant to get rid of the
infection and put in a temporary filling.

Then maybe a month later i was in work and a tiny piece of the filling came out. I could taste the disinfectant
and because i could taste it and not get away i started to panic. This turned into a week off work of me
constantly panicking, i lost a stone because i didn’t want to eat and was constantly crying. The doctor put me
on anti-depressants, valium and beta blockers. Around the middle of this week i had my dentist fill in the part
of the filling that came out. He did, which got rid of the disinfectant taste but this didn’t stop me panicking.
I think in my mind i was aware that the disinfectant was still there and this made me panic in case the filling
came out again.
When i visited the dentist he put me onto the NHS to have the root finished whilst under sedation.
Typically for me my application was never put ‘through’ and i was still on edge.
so i went and had the root done under gas at a local private practice. This cost me a lot but i was just glad to get
It done and out of the way.

I had some strange thoughts for a long time after though. Such as being aware there was a ‘foreign’ element in
my tooth and what if another nerve died in my tooth and i started thinking the most ridiculous things.

I had hypnotherapy with a lady which seemed to cure me for two months after which i split up with my
boyfriend. This seemed to trigger a huge panic attack once again over me thinking about my teeth.
Since then i have been scared again and worrying. For example last night i started crying because i couldn’t stop
thinking about my teeth. This began to get ridiculous. I started thinking that my teeth were enemies,
and my mouth was full of bacteria (another dentist trip waiting to happen) i even started thinking what if i choke
on my tongue???

It’s getting so out of hand now. Sometimes i am too afraid to eat because i seem to have associated panic
attacks with my mouth/teeth. I panic if i even have a slight tooth ache. I know how ridiculous this is.
I have tried to counsel myself but i always seem to go back to square one once i suffer another panic attack.
I have suicidal thoughts because i can’t stand being on edge all the time.

Does any one else have dental phobia . . . but to the point where they panic about slight tooth ache or even have stupid thoughts about eating etc???

I just want to know whether i'm the only one. I don't know whether this is a more exaggerated phobia or whether people with dental phobia have also had the same thoughts as me . . not wanting fillings, worrying about eating, panicking about tooth ache etc etc.

I was thinking perhaps i should try some CBT. It suggests exposing yourself to your phobia. Do you think this will help? Please let me know how you came you came to have dental phobia or any phobia at all.

Many thanks
Faye (Dissolved Girl)
 
I just want to come and hug you. I feel your pain. I hope you feel better. Sorry that I'm not much help.

Triple_S
X
 
Hi Faye

Send me a PM and we can chat.

Blessings :D
 
Thank you for the replies.
I shall send a PM as soon as i can if you want to give me some advice!?

Thank you
DG X
 
Hey DG,

How are you getting on?

Just read your post and feel for you.

CJ
 
Making an appointment! Scared!

Hi there

I have decided i am going to make a dental appointment because i really have to go and it's been a while. It makes me scared even thinking of it.

I am also thinking of getting a teeth 'clean' whilst i'm there. My teeth are getting brown on the inside of my front teeth. I guess from smoking etc.
The last time i went to the dentist i had a root canal and the taste of the bone being ground down etc kept making me gag.
I really want good teeth but i am so scared of the taste, sensations etc.
Any tips?

Thanks
DG X
 
Re: Making an appointment! Scared!

Also, sorry, what is there to expect from a Dental clean?
Is it umcomfortable?
 
I've merged these two threads as I needed to know your history before answering your newer question. Unless it is a totally different topic - we reserve the right to merge threads in Support to make it easier for others to lend support and not risk repeating themsleves.
I'll reply when I've read the whole thread.
 
Did you take Stressdoc up on his offer in June? I'm sure it's still open.

Having read the rest of your history now, I was wondering did your original dentist use a rubber dam when doing your root canal? If not then I think future treatment using one would be much easier for you to cope with since you wouldn't get the sensation of bits, water in your mouth etc etc . In fact in my experience it feels as if you are not being worked on and it is just your tooth that is...very strange.

I would say what you describe is entirely normal for our posters ;) so don't worry you are most definitely not the only one who feels as you describe. It is very common for dental phobia sufferers to also struggle with anxiety in other areas as well.

You should feel proud of getting the other tooth completed despite your fears...if necessary you can seek sedation for future treatment as well but it may not be necessary....it is possible to remove the sensations you described (rubber dam helps) and the other key thing would be 'giving you more control' so that you can stop the dentist and have breaks as and when you need them

Explanations of what is happening may also help...stop your mind running riot with worst case scenarios, I doubt any bone was involved....but I could be wrong. They can also warn you about what tastes, sensations are coming up so you aren't taken by surprise. Familiarity (as in most things) usually breeds contempt in dentistry as you get used to it, assuming the treatment is empathetic and competent.
Best wishes - try to choose a dentist who will work at your pace and give you control during treatment - that would help you a lot. Getting a cleaning done now and then maintaining a good daily hygiene regime would lessen the chances of your needing future treatment...so that could also lessen your anxiety about things going wrong in future.

Gagging tips here: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/gagging/
 
Last edited:
Hi there Brit

I did take the StressDoc up on his offer and they have been extremely helpful and put me at ease with questions i have had.

My dentist who started the root canal didn't use anything to stop all the sensations/tastes ie (i meant the enamel being ground down plus i had an infection which wasn't nice). I shouldn't have needed it because i was not phobic then.
But i got the root finished under sedation privately and the dentist in that clinic used a piece of rubbers and put it over my tooth so nothing went down my throat. I told her the tastes and stuff made me panic. Is that a rubber dam?
It was a lot better.
I know a clean/polish won't be so bad but i am just worried that any taste etc will give me a panic attack but i suppose i will have to wait and see.

I am glad to know i am not alone. I assume people with dental phobia must have panic attacks over the thought of going to the dentist. I seem to have them over toothache but i guess that means i know i will need to visit the dentist so it is the same thing really.
I guess i just need to bite the bullet.
Every one on here has said i must visit the dentist before my teeth get bad and there won't be anything i can do about it.
Am just frightened i guess.

But i agree i must visit because putting it off is just making me more anxious!!!
 
Yes that was a rubber dam. It is not actually considered to be the best standard of care to do rct without isolating the tooth with a rubber dam. This is so the treatment has the best chance of working but also to make it better for you. The worst part of it should be having to keep your mouth open for so long - nothing else.

With cleaning you might find it easier to cope if just hand tools are used rather than the ultrasonic scaler but best try it and see.
Best wishes with your ongoing journey.
:grouphug:
 
Back
Top