• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Day 4 - Ripped stitch/skin, little bleeding, stinging pain?

E

erikajana

Hello! I'm 21 years old and I recently (the 14th of Jan) had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted, bottom two were partial bony impactions and the top two were fully erupted. I was completely knocked out (because I am a huge baby when it comes to the dentist)

A couple hours ago I shouted something too loudly and overexerted myself - I felt the pressure and pain at the bottom right site almost immediately and shortly after tasted blood. Now the pain is lingering - it feels like a stinging pain, made worse when I speak or "puff out" my cheek with air. Is it possible I ripped a stitch/skin around the stitch? I also thought I felt something dislodge but I didn't feel anything in my mouth or swallow anything (that I'm aware of).

I'm also too afraid to look at it because as I stated earlier, I'm a huge baby :cry: Has anyone had something like this happen? I wasn't in too much pain before but this pain is worrying me now. However, it's not unbearable, like I hear dry socket pain is.

I actually have another strange question - I noticed today that I have a piece of what looks like plastic stuck in between my bottom molars on the other side of my mouth - the two teeth in front of where my wisdom tooth was. I tried to floss it out but it seems pretty stuck - I'm too afraid to pull on it any harder. Do you think it might be a stitch? It's very strange.

Thanks for reading this!

Update: I finally mustered up the courage to actually look into my mouth and found that my surgeon actually attached the stitches to my cheek on both sides! I wasn't expecting that at all but it makes perfect sense; on the side where it hurts, there is a cut on my cheek next to the stitches from where I ripped it from the skin. Is that normal, to place stitches into the cheek? I guess they stay in better that way? :redface:

The plastic stuck in my tooth on the other side is definitely part a stitch - I think I'm going to leave it until my follow up because I don't want to rip anything else.

Back