• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep cleaning - scared out of my wits

L

louise1608

Hi everyone... I've been lurking on this board all week trying to calm my nerves so I am hoping that writing this down and getting my fear out there might help to get it out of my system a little.

I am 31 years and I will be the first to admit that my dental care could definitely be improved. I brush every single day 3x a day with an electric toothbrush now and use mouthwash 1-2x per day as well but this is only a recent change as in the past year or so. Prior to that I would always brush every day but usually only once and then 1 mouth wash rince... I've always had good teeth and seen the dentist very rarely but every time I went I just needed a regular scrape a polish, half an hour to remove a bit of tartar build up and off you for for another 6 months... although I am so scared of going that 6 months often turned into a year or more between visits but I think I just got comfortable with how things were... I know now I have really neglected my teeth and am trying to make things better.

I contacted the dentist as soon as covid restrictions were eased up thinking I'd be lucky again and just need that scrape and polish because they were looking a bit yucky and its hardly a surprise since apparently its been 3 years since my last appointment. I am trying so hard at home so I suppose it was just wishful thinking.

I saw the dentist a little over a month ago, she is quite lovely really and I don't know why I always put off my appointments. She had a look and said my teeth are in good condition, no broken bits or cavities or anything like that... she thought there might have been one so she took an xray but all was good on that front. She told me though that I have very slight bone loss and that I need a deep cleaning. She didn't really give me any information about what the cleaning would be or how it would be done but I do know I am being charged NHS band 2 for the treatment so its obviously more than a regular cleaning. My teeth are covered in tartar at the bottom but I don't think the top is as bad. My gums are not sore, red or swollen and do not bleed at all when I brush and I use the highest setting on my electric toothbrush so I am hoping that is a good sign and that the cleaning will not have to go too deep? I really don't know. I am freaking out because I don't like even regular cleanings... I worry about all kinds of silly things like what if a tooth gets loosened while they are doing it because they feel like they are putting so much pressure on my teeth and being so rough with them.. its crazy I know because they know what they are doing of course. I am worried its going to hurt and I am worried that whatever damage I have caused is going to be irreversible. I think what's worst is that because she didn't tell me much that I don't know what to expect. She said the appointment would be 30-45 minutes and that if I am more comfortable then I can be numb for it. I can't concentrate on anything... can't eat or sleep properly knowing its looming. It's first thing in the morning and all I want to do is cancel it but I know that I can't. Anyway that was really long, sorry about that... if anyone has been in a similar position and might be able to put my mind at ease it would be much appreciated!

I've been and am now back home. The clean took 30 minutes for my full mouth and felt exactly like a normal cleaning for the most part with a bit more"pinching" and sensitive pain but nothing that can't be tolerated. Used an ultrasonic tool that seemed to spray water or something. No injections, not even a numbing gel on the gums so I'm feeling very brave and relieved to be done with it. She is confident there is no gum disease and that we've caught and cleaned in time. Sent away with advice to use interdental brushes and with my next appointment in 6 months which I definitely will keep. Hope this helps anyone who might be feeling nervous about the same thing

Hi louise1608:welcome:,

you have been so brave! :jump:
I see how not getting any information can make things look much scarier and the worries you had regarding the deep cleaning are pretty much the worries most people go through. It was nice to read that you had a good experience. A deep cleaning really isn’t that much different to a normal cleaning, but if people have a lot of issues with their gums, it can be a bit unpleasant afterwards. But, back to you: you did amazingly and it was a great idea to get a new appointment straight away. Fear of the dentist often comes with putting off visits, so 6 months can turn into years very easily.
Give yourself a pat on the back and hope you will get yourself some nice treat! :)

All the best wishes

Back