• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental appointment tomorrow!....help!!!!!

That's so annoying glitter fairy, however you just have one more day and it'll be Friday.

That's true:)

They offered me Friday and another date in August (in a few weeks times)...and I was very tempted to take the August date and then I thought to myself...no I am getting this over and done with and I opted to go friday..i am not letting it drag on and feel anxiety for another three weeks...plus I was worried if I wait another three weeks it would give it more time to decay and id end up with a bigger filling;D

Last edited:
I hope I can get through it as I have no anti anxiety medication ..

I was thinking the same thing about treating myself ;D...i was thinking of promise myself that after my appointment id go to a shop and buy something I really wanted (to give me something to look forward to)....and that if I didn't go through with the appointment and have the filling I wouldn't buy the treat for myself....kind of like giving myself a reward and an incentive ;D

Yes do! And when your sitting there just think of what your going to get yourself. It'll be over before you know it. I recently got 2 fillings and 2 extractions and the thought is way worse.

That's true:)

They offered me Friday and another date in August (in a few weeks times)...and I was very tempted to take the August date and then I thought to myself...no I am getting this over and done with and I opted to go friday..i am not letting it drag on and feel anxiety for another three weeks...plus I was worried if I wait another three weeks it would give it more time to decay and id end up with a bigger filling;D

Yes you are so right just get it over and done with :)!!

Wow thats impressive...did you have all that done in 1 appointment?

Yes do! And when your sitting there just think of what your going to get yourself. It'll be over before you know it. I recently got 2 fillings and 2 extractions and the thought is way worse.

Wow thats impressive...did you have all that done in 1 appointment?

I had 1 filling and 2 out in one sitting yes. The filling was fine and the first tooth was fine. But the other one took about 30 mins to get out! You'll be fine. If you need any advice or anything feel free to pm me :)! Let me know how you get on.

I had 1 filling and 2 out in one sitting yes. The filling was fine and the first tooth was fine. But the other one took about 30 mins to get out! You'll be fine. If you need any advice or anything feel free to pm me :)! Let me know how you get on.

30 mins of pulling on your tooth?:scared:

Feeling nervous right now:scared::cry:

My appointment is in 40 mins:cry:

Sending good thoughts and virtual hand-holding!

Hope you are OK.

how did it go?

:jump: I did it!!!!! I got my filling;D

I didn't have any anti anxiety medication to use for this appointment and I already knew my dentist doesn't offer sedation etc so I spent the day slowly preparing for my appointment and listening to a lot of music (to take my mind off the fact I had a dental appointment that day)

Any way to prepare for my appointment I made sure that I took pills for stuff like acid indigestion, nausea etc so that it lessened the chance of me getting so frightened that id throw up;D

Another thing I found EXTREMELY helpful in the hours leading to my appointment was every time I felt the panic coming on I take a cough lozenge and concentrate on sucking it and think of nothing else but sucking it...by the time it was sucked and gone my panic had gone...so I kept doing that each time I felt the panic appearing and it kept me calm in the hours leading up to my appointment:)

The taxi ride to my appointment was torturous...i had built myself up mentally that I could do it( have the filling)...once the taxi driver knew she was driving us to the dentist she started going on and on recounting every horror story about the dentist...my confidence plummeted and I actually thought I was going to throw up in her taxi...

I arrived at the dentist feeling nervous and nauseous (because of that taxi drivers stories) and I would have thrown up in the waiting room only there was another lady in there too and I didn't want to be embarrassed by throwing up in front of a stranger;D

The dentist finally called me and I went up to her room and sat in the chair...i was so anxious by this point I was coughing with nerves and kept gagging...the dentist tipped the chair right back which increased my anxiety and made me cough and gag more...i said to her does it have to be tipped so far back and she said yes I need to be able to see your teeth properly....she put that numbing gel on my gums and then did the injection....i braced myself for pain and must have looked petrified as both the dentist and dental nurse kept speaking gentle to me...anyway when she did the injection I felt a slight scratch and nothing else...i actually laughed with relief:giggle:

Then came the drill...i braced myself for that expecting to feel pain and discomfort and felt NOTHING..and because it was a tiny filling she had it drilled in a couple of minutes and then put the filling stuff in and I was done:jump:

She said my teeth are all fine and I don't have to go back for 6 months:jump::grin::giggle:;D

I felt absolutely elated that I did It...when I left the dentist surgery my knees were trembling from the earlier anxiety...but I felt on top of the world that I did it and I was so happy that none of it hurt and that she did it so quick...

I couldn't believe how my mind had built it up when in reality it was painless and quick (my mind had built it up to the point I was convinced it would be like torture:ROFLMAO:)

Hope you are OK.

how did it go?

Yay!!! So glad to hear that it went so well. It sounds like you've found a good dentist who you will be able to work with and hopefully start a routine of regular dental treatment to keep your teeth/gums healthy,

Excellent!!! Well done you:jump::jump::yayy::cheer2::dance::dance2::cheer::cheer::yay::yay:

Go you! It's soooo scary going through appointments like that, but you did it! Well done! :jump:

Yay!!! So glad to hear that it went so well. It sounds like you've found a good dentist who you will be able to work with and hopefully start a routine of regular dental treatment to keep your teeth/gums healthy,

My dentist is lovely...even though they dont offer sedation the dental surgery is advertised as being for nervous patients and I did notice she was nicer and gentler than previous dentists....she went at my pace which Impressed me :)

Excellent!!! Well done you:jump::jump::yayy::cheer2::dance::dance2::cheer::cheer::yay::yay:

Thank you :)

I hope my posts help someone else to pluck up the courage to go to their appointments...they can see how even though I was panicking i managed to do it...and it feels like an achievement when you walk out of the dental surgery afterwards;D

Go you! It's soooo scary going through appointments like that, but you did it! Well done! :jump:

It was scary to the point I was trembling even after it was over...and I had no anti anxiety medication and they dont offer sedation at my dental surgery so I had to get through it with sheer will power...i honestly didn't think I could do it...even when I was sat in the dental chair and she was getting the needle ready I still didn't think I could do it...but once she was actually working on my tooth I was fine.

Well done I knew you could do it ����

Thank you...

What made it easier to actually do it was having this forum as support and knowing there are others out there going through the same thing... :)

Back