• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental crowns at a young age

M

Mabsphone

So I suffer from health anxiety and often look into the future and worry about what is going to happen, mixed in with some dental anxiety this is a nightmare.

So I'm 21 years old and will likely require two crowns within the year. Obviously I've read up about dental crowns multiple times but, can't really find my answer and I'm not the type of person who can think on my feet and ask questions in the dentist.

I've read that dental crowns can last from anywhere to 5-15 years. Sometimes longer but it isn't very likely.

Obviously if a crown only lasted 10 years for me I would only be 30 and would either have a gap or would need to get an implant. Obviously with the implant I'm worried that I might not be medically suitable for it as well as not knowing where I'll be financially in 10 years.

My question is related to a crown and its life span and whether it can be replaced after its failed extending that 5-15 years estimation.

For example if my crown lasted 10 years and then failed could another one be replaced and last for an additional 5-15 years?

I know a crown can be replaced if its cracked and what not. But I'm specifically wondering what failed actually means. Does a crown hitting its maximum life require the tooth to be extracted?

I've also got some white spots on my teeth and am worried hopefully will look in the future so will likely need more crowns later on in my life. Hopefully not until I'm 30.

My teeth are a result on bad practice during my teenage years. However, im taking pretty dent care of my teeth and my dentist on my last visit said there's no decay present and my brushing is fine. Obviously there's still marks from previous neglect though.

If anyone wants me to try and explain myself better let me knoe. I know a lot of this is case specific but was wondering on average really.

Also, is it common for a 21 year old to have crowns?

Crowns can be replaced if they ‘fail’. What that usually means is they crack, fall off, or the seal between the crown and the tooth starts to leak and cause additional decay under the crown. With crowns, it’s especially important to be vigilant about brushing and flossing. It’s also important to get regular preventative dental care so a dentist can monitor the crowns and replace them if they are starting to leak or look cracked.

Crowns can be replaced if they ‘fail’. What that usually means is they crack, fall off, or the seal between the crown and the tooth starts to leak and cause additional decay under the crown. With crowns, it’s especially important to be vigilant about brushing and flossing. It’s also important to get regular preventative dental care so a dentist can monitor the crowns and replace them if they are starting to leak or look cracked.
Okay. So when dentists put a life span on a dental crown for example 10/15 years. Does that mean after that period no more crowns can be put on.

I understand throughout the time you have a crown you may need it to be replaced a few times for the reasons above.

If I had a crown put on and it reached its maximum life span would I be able to have another crown potentially redrilling the tooth again or when it reaches its maximum life span would the tooth require extraction.

Depending on the problem a crown may be replaced with another crown. Lifespan will vary tremendously. I have seen people have them for up to 50 years.
?
Is the situation that caused the need for a crown resolved or is it on going? This determines the lifespan.

Back