• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental implant and wisdom teeth extraction coming up with fear of anesthesia issue

@Scaredbutready Thanks! Better understanding really helps. I had horrible experiences as a kid being subjected to procedures being given no knowledge of what was happening or why and being treated like a piece of meat and given no information at all and I am still traumatized from that, so I want maximum information about everything now. Do you have to do another sinus lift and implant? If so, I hope it goes really well! Yes it was shocking how easy the implant procedure was, I had been freaked out by my previous Dr. trying to refer me somewhere to have a general anesthetic for that, and though I never knew why she had wanted to do that, I had thought one possibility was it was extremely intense or painful, so this was a pleasant surprise.

@NervousUSA Some things sound so much scarier than they end up being, but, that’s what anxious patients do right? We expect the worst. So thrilled for you. I had a sinus lift on tooth 3, and 13, 14 in April with bone grafting. implant on 3 was placed right away, getting my final crown this week! then my implants will be placed with some additional bone grafting for 13, 14. That side needed a bit more healing which is why it’s spaced out. hope the rest of your journey is just as successful! Great Job!! And also the follow up appointments after your implant are a breeze.

@Scaredbutready Thanks so much, it means a lot to me to have support! You are very reassuring. Congrats to you on being almost done, it sounds like!

Fantastic! That seems like a wonderful plan.
I had implants placed on the top jaw, I’m nervous about the bottom jaw.

@Beccab213 Mine is on the bottom jaw. Do you feel like the bottom jaw might be more difficult for you?

@NervousUSA I’m scared I won’t be able to be fully numb. I heard the bottom jaw can be harder to numb.

@Beccab213 If it helps I can tell you I was fully numb on that side of my lower jaw, and did not feel any pain from the drilling, etc. I did have some pressure/vibration sensations and hear grinding and clicking sounds which were kind of weird but no pain at all. I felt some mild pain/discomfort from things like the dentist resting their hand on my front teeth and pinching my lip a little bit (which can happen with any procedure) and the dentist held my jaw from outside kind of under the chin with his hand uncomfortably tight while actually putting in the implant but it didn't hurt, it was like when someone shakes your hand too hard but on the jaw. I needed to take 3 doses of tylenol yesterday and am not in pain or needing tylenlol today.

@Beccab213 If it helps I can tell you I was fully numb on that side of my lower jaw, and did not feel any pain from the drilling, etc. I did have some pressure/vibration sensations and hear grinding and clicking sounds which were kind of weird but no pain at all. I felt some mild pain/discomfort from things like the dentist resting their hand on my front teeth and pinching my lip a little bit (which can happen with any procedure) and the dentist held my jaw from outside kind of under the chin with his hand uncomfortably tight while actually putting in the implant but it didn't hurt, it was like when someone shakes your hand too hard but on the jaw. I needed to take 3 doses of tylenol yesterday and am not in pain or needing tylenlol today.
@NervousUSA well thank you! This was most helpful! My top teeth implants were a breeze so I’m hoping my bottom jaw is the same. I’ve only had top teeth extractions and implants. I’m nervous to have bottom molars pulled and implants placed.

@Beccab213 I think the bottom will be a breeze too for you. The extraction I had of the molar this implant was replacing was also totally painless and the procedure itself no big deal at all, though I was out of my mind with anxiety and got very upset because of that. I could feel pressure and strong tugging which was weird but painless. I had novocaine only from the dentist, but also took ibuprofen at home before hand.

I'm freaking out again. I had an appointment last week and a really strange scenario with a dental hygienist happened, and I have lost my trust that I had built for this dentist and practice. Now it looks like I will have to, before the extractions I have on Monday, ask the dentist some uncomfortable questions about a diagnosis done by a dental hygienist. I'm really scared and don't know how I will handle this discussion on top of having to have two wisdom teeth extracted. It also looks like I will have to get a second opinion on the situation that was diagnosed and treatment chosen by the dental hygienist, which I can't really afford to pay for, and it terrifies me to go to new practices. I am miserable and this is all happening on Monday. I had thought this was getting better but I feel like its snowballing and falling apart.

Here is a link to the story of the appointment last week, and what went wrong, which I posted in the ask a dentist forum to get a dentists advice. I would appreciate any more support and advice. This is on my mind all the time, I can't sleep, and I am just miserable.

Dental Hygienist Diagnosing and Making Treatment Plan

Back