• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Implant Pain

K

Ktooth

Hello,

About two years ago I had a root canal on lower molar 18. It ended up getting extracted after it started acting up again and retreatment failed. I had the tooth extracted January 2019 and had an implant placed August 2019. It healed up and didn’t bother me after that until about a week ago. About a week ago I started getting pain in the implant area and in my cheek. The pain isn’t unbearable but it’s annoying. Sometimes it’s like zaps of pain in the implant area, sometimes it’s dull aching in my cheek. Is the implant failing? I’ve been through so much and spent so much money on this tooth, I can’t bear to think about needing more work on the implant. I have an oral surgeon appointment tomorrow where they were planning to place the abutment (I think that’s what it’s called?) but now I don’t know what they’ll do when I bring this pain up. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated :(

I had pain with my implant off and on the entire time, with my molars. The first one, I went in several times and the surgeon said everything was fine. I got the torque test and passed. He told me that it was always better to have it checked out but that danger signs would be redness and swelling. Mine had neither.

For my front tooth, I had the extraction, bone grafting and implant placed in early September. No issues until Friday morning, when I woke up with a dull pain and a pinchy feeling. I called and went in and they took am x ray. No swelling and he said the implant looks great but that I had a bit of bone graft from the bone plate that was flaking off and causing irritation to my gums. Nothing to cause the implant to fail.

So don't panic! It could be something simple. Mention it when you go in tomorrow and they can check it before doing anything else.

I had pain with my implant off and on the entire time, with my molars. The first one, I went in several times and the surgeon said everything was fine. I got the torque test and passed. He told me that it was always better to have it checked out but that danger signs would be redness and swelling. Mine had neither.

For my front tooth, I had the extraction, bone grafting and implant placed in early September. No issues until Friday morning, when I woke up with a dull pain and a pinchy feeling. I called and went in and they took am x ray. No swelling and he said the implant looks great but that I had a bit of bone graft from the bone plate that was flaking off and causing irritation to my gums. Nothing to cause the implant to fail.

So don't panic! It could be something simple. Mention it when you go in tomorrow and they can check it before doing anything else.

Thanks MM! What ended up happening with your molar? Did the pain just go away? I’ve read if the implant is failing, pain would be somewhat severe and that’s not how it feels

I have 3 implants, 2 front teeth and one molar. I had on and off pain with my left front tooth, which sometimes felt as if my whole implant was throbbing. It turned out that I had taken the instruction to keep them clean too seriously and had been way too zealous in flossing and irritated the gums.

I went back to the periodontist who placed the implants and he told me what MountainMama said, that the signs of failure are constant pain, swelling and redness.

It is good you are going in, they will check it out for you. Hope everything is OK.

Thanks MM! What ended up happening with your molar? Did the pain just go away? I’ve read if the implant is failing, pain would be somewhat severe and that’s not how it feels

The pain in the molar implant did go away. It briefly came back after the torque test, but is gone now.

Hi Ktooth,
From your description it is not possible to say whether there is a problem with the implant or not. As you have seem from the other replies it is quite possible to have minor twinges that do not necessarily mean the implant is failing. So let's hope this is the case for you.
Hope it all turns out OK
Lincoln

The pain in the molar implant did go away. It briefly came back after the torque test, but is gone now.
I’m glad it went away for you! Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts with me

How is your implant doing now?

How is your implant doing now?
Hey MM! Sorry for my delayed reply - I’d been taking a break from the forum world for a while. My molar implant still has on and off pain. Seeing my dentist in a few weeks and going to ask again but I just had xrays a month ago and was told everything looked great. How are you holding up? Your molar implant doing okay?

Hey MM! Sorry for my delayed reply - I’d been taking a break from the forum world for a while. My molar implant still has on and off pain. Seeing my dentist in a few weeks and going to ask again but I just had xrays a month ago and was told everything looked great. How are you holding up? Your molar implant doing okay?
I am glad x rays are showing it is good. Yes, mine are good. They still have occasional twinges as well and sometimes achy feelings but I had the torque tests done and they are good to go! I get my crowns at the end of this month. I can’t wait!

I am glad x rays are showing it is good. Yes, mine are good. They still have occasional twinges as well and sometimes achy feelings but I had the torque tests done and they are good to go! I get my crowns at the end of this month. I can’t wait!
Do yours ever throb quite a bit on and off? I haven’t had torque tests. I’m a little worried and wondering if I should pop back into the oral surgeon’s office once more before getting the crowns placed. Glad things are going well for you! The implant journey is not fun ?

Do yours ever throb quite a bit on and off? I haven’t had torque tests. I’m a little worried and wondering if I should pop back into the oral surgeon’s office once more before getting the crowns placed. Glad things are going well for you! The implant journey is not fun ?
I thought they always did torque tests before approving for the crowns? If I were you, I would ask.
I will occasionally get a dull ache but not really throbbing. I agree that the implant journey is not fun! Getting impressions was uncomfortable. They are going to numb my back molar implant with topical anesthetic for the crown placement.

I thought they always did torque tests before approving for the crowns? If I were you, I would ask.
I will occasionally get a dull ache but not really throbbing. I agree that the implant journey is not fun! Getting impressions was so uncomfortable and I was not prepared for how much it hurt. They are going to numb my back molar implant with topical anesthetic for the crown placement.
I got an appointment next week at the oral surgeon and I’ll definitely ask about it! I’ll let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed for your crown placement :thumbsup:

I got an appointment next week at the oral surgeon and I’ll definitely ask about it! I’ll let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed for your crown placement ?
Yes, let me know how it goes! Fingers crossed for good news!

Back