• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Phobia - Iv Sedation

M

Mrsmurray23

Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2023
Messages
68
Location
Texas
Hello all,

I have developed pretty extensive dental phobia over the years to having my lower jaw numb. So much so it has caused me to avoid the dentist all together unless it’s an emergency…and of course, it’s an emergency now 😭

I have a lower molar with a large filling that last week become infected inside. It was horrible pain, like truly unbearable. The dentist has recommended a root canal but I don’t feel comfort with one and prefer to just have it extracted and an implant or bridge placed.

Because I was so hysterical during my appt my dentist recommend iv sedation. This way he can pull the tooth, so the bone graft, and fill 5 teeth on that side as well while I’m sedated. I agreed, but I am having the worst anxiety. What if I stop breathing, have cardiac arrest, anaphylaxis, my mind won’t stop playing out worst case scenarios and it’s affecting my life to the point where I cry everyday and can’t work or hardly concentrate on anything else.

Has anyone here specifically had iv sedation with midazolam AND fentanyl. That is what my dentist uses, and he said he’s done so safe probably 2000 times in his career and I trust him, but I am also freaked out by mixing the two strong drugs. Please help put my mind at ease with your success stories. My procedure is next Thursday so I have 7 more days of these emotions to go through 😭
 
That is the combination that my colorectal surgeon uses for my colonoscopies and I've had 6 of them so far without incident. I know that feeling of going to the worst case scenarios, but after I was diagnosed and treated for hypothyroidism a few years ago, that no longer happens to me. I'm still worried about things on a more normal basis now, but life is much better on that front. Not suggesting that you have thyroid issues, but just saying that I REALLY understand how you feel! So, please know that my experiences with that drug combo were very good, and I hope that others chime in with more like mine and can help put your mind at ease a bit.
 
@LittleLynnie Thank you so much for your response, that does help me to know you’ve had it so many times and no issues. Anxiety is such a beast and it truly has me feel like I made a decision to die by having this done 😢 I am so glad you’ve had good experiences with Iv sedation and that your anxiety is doing much better!
 
@Mrsmurray23 Did you proceeded with IV Sedation? I am in the same shoe as you now. Need to extract a lower teeth and I have this fear of numbing my tongue due to pass experience. Trying to overcome this via counseling but my last resort would be IV Sedation. The only lucky thing for me is I just experienced my first IV sedation 2 mths ago for my colonoscopy hence it is less scary to me now.
 
@nickwch I rescheduled my first appt and I am due to have it done on Thursday 1/4. The sedation is definitely freaking me out the most, so I’m glad to hear you’ve had it for the colonoscopy and it went well! If you know how you react to it and had a good experience with it, I would do sedation again too. The panic around having my mouth numb is so severe, I feel like if we can safely be sleeping or just not remember the procedure - then all the better!
 
@Mrsmurray23 I had fear before my 1st IV Sedation too but I told myself there are procedures in life where you have no option but to do it under IV Sedation (like Colonoscopy). I told myself if anything happens after the sedation, I will deal with it later (at least I get my gut health checked). This some how gives me courage to carry on.

Anyway, about the IV Sedation, basically is just like sleeping. So just tell yourself you just need to turn up for a nap. Once awake, it's over and job done.
 
Back
Top