• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental phobia, other phobias and IV sedation...please help

  • Thread starter Thread starter star2sparkle
  • Start date Start date
S

star2sparkle

Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2011
Messages
24
I hope someone may be able to help.
I have had a dental phobia for many years due to a couple of awful experiences.
I managed to get quite brave and had quite a bit of treatment done as my teeth were black and I couldn't smile at all.
My fear was bad and I didn't have all the treatment done. Now my teeth affect my confidence still (the odd horrible person has said how my teeth let me down) and I need quite a bit of work, a couple of dentures eventually and a deep clean. The first part of work, my dentist has suggested IV sedation.
I have researched it on here and what bothers me is that I do have an intense fear of losing control and on here, about IV sedation, it states;

"You should want to be sedated. If, for any reason, you’re unwilling to “let go”, for example because you’re terrified of not being in control, it will be more difficult to be successfully sedated".

I'm worried I'd fight against it and I'm concerned the dentist would have to give me loads...too much! That it would affect me badly or something.

This is making me wonder if I really should have the sedation. The thing is I just can't go because of my anxiety. The dentist just cant do the work. I have tried valium beforehand but it doesn't work for me and if anything makes me spaced out which actually manages to trigger further anxiety!

Please help! Any comments would be gratefully received :-)
 
Hi star2sparkle I think if you really want to get the work done and your dentist has advised that sedation would be the best option, then if you really don't think that you could work with the dentist using local then I would go for it. I would however have a further word with your dentist and explain how afraid of the loss of control you feel. They won't give you too much, or harm you in any way, he sounds a rather caring dentist to offer the sedation, as he must think after seeing you that this is the way to go. If you could just think about the end result, and keep this in mind. It may help you to deal with this.
I personally hate the thought of sedation or GA and with the help of a caring dentist I managed to get the work I needed doing done. It was not easy and I did panic at times, but I am so much better for being able to get the work done.
Everyone is different and you must talk to your dentist and reach a decision that you both feel comfortable with. They do say on here also that they are so pleased when they have had sedation and got work done. Look around for the success stories about people that have had sedation, and concentrate on those not the negative.

I wish you good luck, if you need more support or advise from a fellow nervous/phobic person please feel free. I am sure someone that has had sedation will be along before too long and be able to put your mind at rest.:grouphug:
 
I fear loss of control and when I had nitrous I felt very in control. I know it's not the same as iv sedation but I don't think you'll have any trouble being sedated from what I heard about people who have experienced it. I think you should go ahead with the treatment using iv sedation.
 
Back
Top