S
SallyB
Junior member
- Joined
- Jul 9, 2009
- Messages
- 8
Hi,
My name is Sally and I'm currently in my third year of a Psychology degree at The University of Sheffield. My dissertation is about phobias - specifically about emetophobia, needle phobia, dental phobia, blood phobia and injury phobia - and I would be really grateful for any dental phobics who would take part in my survey. The study has been granted ethical approval from the Department of Psychology ethics committee, and I am being supervised by a chartered health psychologist.
Here is the link to take part, there is more detailed information on the opening page: [broken link removed]
Thanks very much, if you have any more questions about it before you take part then feel free to ask!
Sally
My name is Sally and I'm currently in my third year of a Psychology degree at The University of Sheffield. My dissertation is about phobias - specifically about emetophobia, needle phobia, dental phobia, blood phobia and injury phobia - and I would be really grateful for any dental phobics who would take part in my survey. The study has been granted ethical approval from the Department of Psychology ethics committee, and I am being supervised by a chartered health psychologist.
Here is the link to take part, there is more detailed information on the opening page: [broken link removed]
Thanks very much, if you have any more questions about it before you take part then feel free to ask!
Sally
Last edited:
I did deliberately try not to make any of the photos too scary, or at least not any worse than what you might see on a TV programme. Thanks for your comments about the Corah Dental Anxiety Scale...I realise that no such scales can ever be ideal or completely accurate but as I'm only an undergraduate I have to use standardised scales that other people have created and the Corah scale plus the Dental Concerns Assessment were the ones my supervisor advised me to use. I would please ask people not to fill out the other phobia sections not relating to dental phobia unless they have the other phobias though.
For my part, I am happy to provide information to help this process along.
I only got as far as the third picture (not sure how many there actually are) and then had to stop and get away from my computer for a minute or two. I wouldn’t want anyone on this site to have a relapse or real anxiety attack based on the completion of this survey so whilst I am pleased to have helped – and have chosen to take part in the follow-up – I would encourage others to be aware of the content before going into this. This is not critiscm, I am just concerned that some people might think, “well it has been posted and allowed on DFC so it can’t be too bad…” I’m also not saying I think it should be removed from the forum, this is certainly a great place to reach a good cross section of phobics and I hope that other people do decide – after thinking carefully about what they might see and how it might affect them – to help you out with this important work. 