• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist appointment coming up soon.

A

Alani

I have my check up and cleaning coming up in a few weeks. This one is a little different as my dentist suggested we kill 2 birds with 1 stone essentially. He said he wants can do a fix of a failing filling in my upper right molar (the one next to my wisdom tooth) and a cleaning in the same appointment all up the appointment is 1-1.5hrs long or something like that. I want to know is this normal? And would the cleaning be done first then the replacement filling? Or vice versa? I’m nervous for this appointment but mainly the LA I hate the feeling for being numb but I also hate the pain the drill can cause, I’m not nervous for the injecting part as my dentist is quite gentle with the needles. My last filling over 2yrs ago was painful even with local as it actually wore off after 10mins and I could feel the drilling part it was a sharp instense electronic shock and that was with 2 injections. Although I was numb in my cheek and lips just not the teeth being worked on. The actual LA needle didn’t actually hurt at all. I’m just wondering what part of my face will be numb if my dentist is working on my top right last molars the 2nd back one, Will my whole cheek and lips be numb or just my tooth? And what will the dentist do first the cleaning or filling?

Hi Alani,

it's been a few days from this post and you got some replies from Gordon about the "not being numb" part so hopefully, that reassured you a bit already. Sounds like you are happy with your dentist so just having a chat about your fears and your last experience might help him make sure the anesthetic is where it needs to be to give you a comfortable pain-free treatment. You will feel numbness on your cheek around that tooth. Your lips shouldn't be numb.

Some time ago I had been numbed up on the first molar and two weeks later on the second molar. The effect on the second molar felt less uncomfortable and stiff, it felt less numb compared to the first molar. My dentist told me this is how many patients feel as there are fewer nerves the further back in mouth you go. Chances are you won't feel too annoyed by the numb sensation.

Not sure whether your dentist will want to do first do the filling or the cleaning. Do you have a preference?

Thanks Enarete,

yes I feel somewhat better but still nervous about the whole thing. I had one filling before on this particular tooth that caused some weird lip muscle stuff as in I couldn’t smile properly made me look like a weirdo. (it wasn’t the dentist I go to now though I fact I never went back to him as I didn’t feel comfortable) my dentist is tolerable to my nervousness and I often say I’m really nervous and he always reassures me. I just hope there’s nothing that’s making this filling fail that’s to extreme.

to be honest I think he will possibly do the cleaning first then the filling but then he might want to do the filling first then the cleaning to make sure everything is clean after the filling. I don’t know what I prefer I just don’t want to spit after the polishing part when I’m really numb as I’ve had instances where I have made a fool of myself my getting my spit everywhere It’s embarrassing.

The very best thing you can do for your dentist is to let him know what exactly worries you and how you feel. He will surely be understanding if you tell him about the past things and will make sure you are ok. It is reasonable to worry about spiting everywhere during the surgery (btw. a piece of small advice, just put your hand on the part of your mouth that is numb to hold the muscle in the place and then spit).
If it helps, this happens to many patients every day and your dental team doesn't find it weird or embarrassing at all.
Also, if it helps, I once took a sip of water from my while chatting to my dentist after the treatment and completely forgot I was numb so haven't used my hand to hold anything. The water landed in my mouth and then just poured down and landed on my shirt :drool:. This all while sitting on a normal chair with my dentist and my nurse sitting opposite looking at me. :toofunny:

Thank you I will make sure I’ll mention why I’m nervous for this. Hopefully I remember everything since I tend to forget things when I’m so overwhelmed and nervous. He is a pretty good dentist and actually got nominated for the top dentist in our city and he was in the top 5 so he is definitely a great dentist and makes lots of people feel relaxed.

what you described would be my worst nightmare and I’ll make sure I remember to hold my face muscle.

I ended up postponing my appointment as it clashed with a class that I was taking that couldn’t be moved so I changed it to today. The appointment went fine he did my examination first, and said that instead of the 2 fillings he was only going to do the 1 which is the most urgent but quite tiny as the other one was a watch and see what happens. It isn’t a necessary filling as it’s a old filling that might crack, but right now it’s holding up fine. He then numbed me up which I’m usually fine with and I didn’t feel absolutely anything from it he has always been a great injection giver. Then he cleaned my teeth with the ultrasonic cleaner and then the filling which I had no clue which tooth he was working on and I couldn’t feel anything at all. Then he polished up my teeth rinsed and then fluoride treatment and off I went. He is probably the most gentlest dentist that I’ve ever been too and when I say I’m nervous he really talks me through everything and makes sure I’m completely comfortable he had a student dentist with him as well which was nerve wracking. But I’m safe to say that I am cavity free thankfully but I just have old fillings that could need to be done but for now I’m free for 6 months.

Wow ,,, This is awesome, he sounds like a great and caring dentist !! :perfect:

So glad you got him and he seemed to really take his time and love he was gentle! This is just awesome !! So happy you went through and did it well!! :cheer2::cheer2:

Wow ,,, This is awesome, he sounds like a great and caring dentist !! :perfect:

So glad you got him and he seemed to really take his time and love he was gentle! This is just awesome !! So happy you went through and did it well!! :cheer2::cheer2:
I guess I’ll keep him, he is pretty good and is always a laugh. I even booked in for 6 months time, he basically said please keep yourself safe from corona I’ll be trying to keep myself safe.

Back