• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist appointment for the first time in 24 years. I'm terrified

D

Danielle1006

Okay, so I haven't been to the dentist since I was a child but I desperately need to go now because I accidentally hit my gum while I was chewing a crisp. Swelling occurred the next morning as I woke. Extreme fear has held me back from going to the dentist. It's ridiculous because I've been living with this infection for one month and a half now, everyday it's going around and around in my head, tremendous amounts of stress and anxiety daily. I tried to pick up the courage to go to a walk in center in hopes I would get antibiotics to help it. Throughout this time, I've tried 6 times. I walk into the clinic and walk back out or sometimes I just stand outside of it and walk back home... The anxiety is too serve and I feel like breaking down crying every time.

With the infection living this long, I think it's caused gingivitis. My gums aren't so red or painful but raised slightly in between some of my teeth. In fact, nothing is painful in my mouth but I know infection is there because I have a small bubble where my swollen gum is. I hit behind the incisive papilla (behind my front teeth) and I have a little lump where the bubble is at the front of my teeth so behind and in front of my teeth are slightly swollen and some gums surrounding it are raised and you can only see under certain lighting. Depending on the light it makes it look worse. When I brush my teeth it bleeds sometimes, but not every time. I've been trying to keep the area clean at all costs using antibacterial mouthwash after brushing.

This causes more anxiety because I feel like I'm going to lose all my teeth. When I tap on my teeth I can feel them so does that mean I won't lose them?

However, after all this time I've got the courage to tell my mother to make an emergency appointment at the dentist for me (I can't do it myself with the anxiety). She's giving them a call tomorrow morning.

It's 00:31 in the morning here and already my anxiety is through the roof and I'm crying. My appointment isn't even confirmed yet. I'm shaking with sweaty hands and I'm losing my mind.

All this time I've tried other alternatives. Salt water gargles, a teabag on the area, eating raw honey and raw cloves of garlic but clearly it needs cut into and drained. The swelling has went down from what it used to be but it's remained the same for a while.

I bought some gel too for gingivitis but with an infection present and the teeth and gums not cleaned under the gum line properly it's obviously not going to have any affect but I keep putting it on anyway in hopes things don't get worse.

I feel like I'm going to embarrass myself when I step into the dentist. I already feel like I'm going to lose control, lose my voice and probably breakdown crying, trying hard to stay put and not walk out.

I just want this over with and sorted. I know I'll feel relieved and joyed when everything is done but what can I do to prevent horrible anxiety attacks? How can I stay calm?

I'd appreciate your help.

I know what your going through . I went to the dentist for my 4th time in 50 years. I had really really bad visits as a child and swore them off. I’ve delt with broken teeth and swollen face, abscess that would send me climbing the walls. I was afraid the dentist would tell me the same thing .....pull all your teeth.....But she didn’t, yes I have to have somempilled . She sent me to a oral surgeon that I saw last wk. yes I went in there in tears I had an baggie full of tissues ready with another Baggie ready for my trash . But now that I just went through my 5th dentist visit in 50 years I found I didn’t crya as much . He said a lot of people have had really bad experiences and we will help you . They were so nice , told me I can either wear partials or get implants . I’m scared of dental work needed for implants so I asked if I can get partials for now and if I decided on partials if I can do them later . He was very nice told me I can,I have dental surgery on the 18th and I know I can make it . I know you can do this......I was 27 years between appointments.........it’s ok to cry, I’m 50 and I cried......please let your Mom confirm an appointment....My Hubby had to for me I didn’t have the courage to make the appointment and he went with me....no shame in that .,....,.let us know what happens. !!!!

I know what your going through . I went to the dentist for my 4th time in 50 years. I had really really bad visits as a child and swore them off. I’ve delt with broken teeth and swollen face, abscess that would send me climbing the walls. I was afraid the dentist would tell me the same thing .....pull all your teeth.....But she didn’t, yes I have to have somempilled . She sent me to a oral surgeon that I saw last wk. yes I went in there in tears I had an baggie full of tissues ready with another Baggie ready for my trash . But now that I just went through my 5th dentist visit in 50 years I found I didn’t crya as much . He said a lot of people have had really bad experiences and we will help you . They were so nice , told me I can either wear partials or get implants . I’m scared of dental work needed for implants so I asked if I can get partials for now and if I decided on partials if I can do them later . He was very nice told me I can,I have dental surgery on the 18th and I know I can make it . I know you can do this......I was 27 years between appointments.........it’s ok to cry, I’m 50 and I cried......please let your Mom confirm an appointment....My Hubby had to for me I didn’t have the courage to make the appointment and he went with me....no shame in that .,....,.let us know what happens. !!!!

It's good that you managed to go to your appointments, that's the main thing. I've got an appointment tomorrow morning at 10. It's early so I guess it's better than waiting all day and panicking over it. I'm just going to go in and face my anxiety. I'll tell the dentist I've got bad anxiety and ask for laughing gas. That should definitely calm me down and help me feel relaxed. Yet again, fear and anxiety comes from our own thoughts and we intend to think of the worst. Maybe it won't go as bad as I thought tomorrow morning once I'm talking to the dentist and sitting in the chair. I find myself always babbling and making conversation when I'm nervous and it helps so hopefully tomorrow my body will fight to get me through it. I'll let you know how it went tomorrow.

Hello again. I finally made it to the dentist. Last night I was having bad anxiety and in the morning before my appointment. I was shaking with fear at 08:30 this morning.

The good news is I haven't got an infection, the dentist said the swelling can take months to go down. I had an xray and all my teeth are good. I had a clean (scale and polish) and I was good to go.

My next appointment isn't until June now. I can finally calm down instead of thinking about my gum and teeth 24/7.

Hello again. I finally made it to the dentist. Last night I was having bad anxiety and in the morning before my appointment. I was shaking with fear at 08:30 this morning.

The good news is I haven't got an infection, the dentist said the swelling can take months to go down. I had an xray and all my teeth are good. I had a clean (scale and polish) and I was good to go.

My next appointment isn't until June now. I can finally calm down instead of thinking about my gum and teeth 24/7.

You did awesome..........it’s so hard getting over this fear I wonder at times if I’ll ever get over it. I’m havign 7 teeth pulled on 12/18/17........so please keep me in your thoughts and Prayers. I’m having daily anxiety attacks now just thinking about it. Everyone thinks I’m nuts to have this done a Wk before Christmas but then I can enjoy Christmas and not have to think about it. I’m sure loose a little weight because I won’t be able to eat normal, but that’s ok !!!

Back