• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist didn't give a temporary crown, permanent one being placed in 2 weeks, am I safe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter donnieberry
  • Start date Start date
D

donnieberry

Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2025
Messages
29
Location
Bellshill
I have a molar in which I got a crown prep done today. It's a root canal treated tooth.

I asked the dentist if I am getting a temporary crown, she told me that she is not going to provide one because she's had multiple patients complain that it just comes off eventually, and also, due to how my bite is and how much she has shaved off, the tooth doesn't touch any other teeth when I bite down, so there is little to no risk of it breaking.

She just told me to keep it clean because if I don't, plaque could stop the crown fitting.

Is this normal? I've attached a photo of my tooth. I am scared because she hasn't put a temp. After some research online, I've read things like:

- The tooth can shift, meaning the crown doesn't fit
- Bacteria can get in

so now I am worried. My permanent one is being fitted on the 16th, am I safe to wait that long?
 

Attachments

  • signal-2025-12-02-202629.jpeg
    signal-2025-12-02-202629.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 3
Yeah, it should be OK till the 16th. Potentially it might over erupt a bit and cause issues with the bite on the crown but it's not likely in just 2 weeks.
 
@Gordon

Thanks as always Gordon. Assuming it does over erupt, what happens then? will it be adjusted a bit on the day?
 
The crown will need to be adjusted when it's being fitted. Not the tooth! Pretty unlikely to be a big issue in 2 weeks though.
 
Thanks Gordon!

final question and I would like your professional advice here, is there ANY reason why my dentist would opt to leave it exposed rather than give me a temporary crown?

I requested one a couple days ago, the receptionist at the dentist called back today and told me:

"I spoke to the dentist and she said she won't provide one as it'll just come off most likely, and you will be fine without one. Just brush 3 times daily and keep on top of it"

But literally everywhere online says there is no reason to not give a temporary crown, and there is many risks with not having one such as, teeth moving, margins being covered by the gum etc.

I don't fully trust my dentist if I am honest, and I had to go with them because of the price at the time. Should I move practice?
 
I don't fully trust my dentist if I am honest, and I had to go with them because of the price at the time. Should I move practice?
Given the first sentence, then yes you should.

final question and I would like your professional advice here, is there ANY reason why my dentist would opt to leave it exposed rather than give me a temporary crown?
Temp crowns can be a pain to remove without damaging the underlying tooth/crown prep if they're stuck on too well. Some of the materials used for them are a bit "rough" and plaque can stick to them, especially if the patient is a bit reluctant to brush them for fear of them coming off. This can lead to some gingivitis leading to bleeding gums which then mess up cementing the permanent crown...

If there's no aesthetic reason to fit one and the tooth has already had an RCT done, then you need to balance the pros and cons whether to make a temp or not.
 
@Gordon

Thanks Gordon. Hopefully I don't need to speak to you again lol.

Assuming I don't, have a merry Christmas and happy new year when it comes! The work you do for people on this site is beyond lovely. Have a good one!
 
Thanks very much, that's very kind of you. I wish the same to you too.
 
Back
Top