• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist refused to save two teeth...

S

SavannaSmiles

She wants to extract them. Should I get a second opinion? Only thing is that I am in the UK and finding a NHS dentist is pretty tricky here. The teeth basically have broken off. (Maybe half is remaining) They don't hurt at all and I am eager to hang onto as many teeth as possible. I'm only 35 and due to my phobia I avoided the dentists for 15 years up until this year. I've already had 4 at the back pulled and several fillings.

I am considering cosmetic dental surgery, some kind of mouth restoration but I don't have the funds at the moment. So just focusing on fixing what I can. Thoughts?

Thank you for reading :)

Hi have you asked if the teeth can be saved, if you have what reason was given for them to be extracted. Did they take x rays? if not, why not. I am in the UK and an nhs patient. I would find another dentist and see what they say. Also have you contacted a dental hospital to see if they are taking patients, they are very good and although it is students they are watched over and quite capable of dental work that we need. They match the experience to the type of work needed by us.

Don't just let a dentist pull teeth without good reason, you need to know why and why these teeth cannot be saved and you do need a second opinion. If there are other dentists present at the practice you attend one of them can do this. :butterfly:

Hi have you asked if the teeth can be saved, if you have what reason was given for them to be extracted. Did they take x rays? if not, why not. I am in the UK and an nhs patient. I would find another dentist and see what they say. Also have you contacted a dental hospital to see if they are taking patients, they are very good and although it is students they are watched over and quite capable of dental work that we need. They match the experience to the type of work needed by us.

Don't just let a dentist pull teeth without good reason, you need to know why and why these teeth cannot be saved and you do need a second opinion. If there are other dentists present at the practice you attend one of them can do this. :butterfly:

Thank you for your reply! No, she didn't really explain. (Her English was not that great) This is one of the frustrations I also have with my dentists. You don't get to sit down and explain anything. It's an in and out job. They did take xrays. Thanks for confirming I should seek out a second opinion. I just feel so powerless about all this. I'll check out the dental hospital! There was one where I used to study not sure about the area I am in now. I've also been contacting cosmetic dentists because I figure I could at least get a plan, as to exactly what I need/want doing. My fear with those is that it's more about the cash than the exact minimum work I could get away with having done. I am usually such a positive person but I find myself feeling so negative about all this. Sigh.

Thank you for your reply! No, she didn't really explain. (Her English was not that great) This is one of the frustrations I also have with my dentists. You don't get to sit down and explain anything. It's an in and out job. They did take xrays. Thanks for confirming I should seek out a second opinion. I just feel so powerless about all this. I'll check out the dental hospital! There was one where I used to study not sure about the area I am in now. I've also been contacting cosmetic dentists because I figure I could at least get a plan, as to exactly what I need/want doing. My fear with those is that it's more about the cash than the exact minimum work I could get away with having done. I am usually such a positive person but I find myself feeling so negative about all this. Sigh.

Before I let anyone do anything I would want to know the exact reason. I would want to know whether she in fact "refused" to save them or whether they were simply beyond repair. You need to know how far down they are broken. If they are cracked down to the root that is not something that a crown and root canal can repair. You need to see someone else.

I make no wonder you are nervous, if she cannot speak a language that you understand then you cannot have a good patient/dentist relationship. A large part of getting over the fear is to communicate and both have some understanding of each other. If you cannot understand her and there is no one there that can explain to you what treatment you need and why then how can you consent to treatment. You can't and mustn't. Would you put on a blind fold and walk across a road?

It must be hard for the dentist trying to deal with people that don't understand her. I could not attend any more appointments with her. Try sending some emails to some other places as well as contacting the dental hospital. Have you looked in the find a dentist section on here, there might be someone that has been recommended from people on here. :butterfly:

I'd love to know who she is, I want to get my teeth extracted , but the dentists I see are so against removal regardless of the cost to my health and wellbeing!

Back