• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Depressed, feel awful about myself from this dental fear and have Fibro making it harder to face!

  • Thread starter Thread starter kpaul91101
  • Start date Start date
K

kpaul91101

Junior member
Joined
Apr 17, 2013
Messages
11
Location
mn
Depressed, feel awful about myself from this dental fear and have Fibro making it harder to face!

This dental fear is ruining my life, I have tried everything to overcome it and nothing has worked or helped, I am even too afraid of having IV drugs because I have Fibro and am sensitive to almost every drug out there! It has been so hard for me to get through the day! I need two teeth out now that are so broken and I will probably be infected any day and need about 15 fillings done from avoiding the dentist for years from fear! I have been so sad, I want to just sleep the days away, I really can't chew anything I have to mash my food and eating next to nothing. I have Fibromyalgia and live in chronic pain all over so it makes it so hard to feel motivated to face the fear and dentist when you feel so terrible physically, I feel so stuck. The fear and anxiety are enough I feel so overwhelmed by life, living in fear and living in daily pain and sadness. I hope to feel well or at least have enough will to get my teeth pulled out so I can eat real food again but I feel so hopeless and overwhelmed with problems, pain, fear! I don't know what to do anymore :( I have seen a counselor and it hasn't helped me and tried hypnosis and tried Sedona, prayer and trying EFT next . I feel so alone and hopeless and want to just sleep. Eating isn't the worst my teeth hurt and I fear with every swallow of my food they will break or the pain or swelling with get worse, I don't want to be forced in with severe pain or infection, I just can't handle that right now with the Fibromyalgia pain flaring up. If anyone has some great story to share or if you have fibro and got through it with pain/symptoms of flare please encourage me.... I am so ready to just stay in my bed.:cry:
 
Re: Depressed, feel awful about myself from this dental fear and have Fibro making it harder to face

I have Fibro and TMJ and I feel your pain too as I have one scheduled next week to be extracted. I guess my only inexperienced advice is to take baby steps. That is what I have been doing. I call the dentist, gone in and talked to the dentist, talked to people who have had the extraction and talked to people here to help me. Have you talked to the dentist yet? I would start there and just start slow. I am not sure if you can do some of this with a local but that would be my first question. I know one thing and I am sure you do....being stressed amplifies the pain and I am there too. I hope this helps but I would talk to my dentist first. Ask your doctor who is treating your Fibro if he recommends one that understands your health issues. Take one day at a time...

This dental fear is ruining my life, I have tried everything to overcome it and nothing has worked or helped, I am even too afraid of having IV drugs because I have Fibro and am sensitive to almost every drug out there! It has been so hard for me to get through the day! I need two teeth out now that are so broken and I will probably be infected any day and need about 15 fillings done from avoiding the dentist for years from fear! I have been so sad, I want to just sleep the days away, I really can't chew anything I have to mash my food and eating next to nothing. I have Fibromyalgia and live in chronic pain all over so it makes it so hard to feel motivated to face the fear and dentist when you feel so terrible physically, I feel so stuck. The fear and anxiety are enough I feel so overwhelmed by life, living in fear and living in daily pain and sadness. I hope to feel well or at least have enough will to get my teeth pulled out so I can eat real food again but I feel so hopeless and overwhelmed with problems, pain, fear! I don't know what to do anymore :( I have seen a counselor and it hasn't helped me and tried hypnosis and tried Sedona, prayer and trying EFT next . I feel so alone and hopeless and want to just sleep. Eating isn't the worst my teeth hurt and I fear with every swallow of my food they will break or the pain or swelling with get worse, I don't want to be forced in with severe pain or infection, I just can't handle that right now with the Fibromyalgia pain flaring up. If anyone has some great story to share or if you have fibro and got through it with pain/symptoms of flare please encourage me.... I am so ready to just stay in my bed.:cry:
 
Re: Depressed, feel awful about myself from this dental fear and have Fibro making it harder to face

Thanks for responding. I did talk with a dentist, a new one who seems understanding but that hasn't lessened my fear ! I really can't take baby steps I need teeth out now. I have pain all the time and they are very broken and need to be taken out so I don't get an infection and can chew food again. I can't really chew they are on opposite sides of my mouth:cry: Have you had teeth pulled with just novacaine and nothing else? How was it for you? I have TMJ too it's so painful!!I don't really have a doc for my Fibro, I have had side effects from pills and I don't want to live on pain pills so I take nothing for my sleep/pain problems. My hubby supports me so I can stay in bed when the pain is severe! I was thinking of IV sedation no GA, like a conscious sedation but I am too worry to do it because I cant imagine having the fibro fog, pain, and being exhausted from bad sleep and getting the drug, how it can make you feel on top of having fibro problems. I know the conscious sedation affects your brain function and I can't imagine feeling worse than days I do now! What did you do??:errr:
 
Re: Depressed, feel awful about myself from this dental fear and have Fibro making it harder to face

I am next week with just Novacaine and I am sure for what you are reading in my posts that I too am terrified. :(:(. I live in Michigan and found a dentist/surgeon who specializes in Fibro dentistry. Have you looked into that? I have a friend who had to have major work, I mean major work and she went to this type of dentist and did indeed take baby steps helping her to manage the pain but get the work done! My fibro is not as bad as yours but I have the fog and there are days that I check out and husband freaks when I do that. That is a main reason they do not want to knock me out either plus I have obstructive sleep apnea too and laughing gas is a big no no. I know the National Arthritis Foundation is a good place to start and they may be able to help you find someone. I know we are not alone with our condition and I know there are professionals who understand us and will work with us. I hope you are feeling better. I know in one week I will when this is far behind me too!:jump:
 
Re: Depressed, feel awful about myself from this dental fear and have Fibro making it harder to face

:hug4: I can def understand your fear. But prolonging the inevitable is just going to make what work you need done now more magnified ya know? Are you able to try out the nitrous gas? I seriously LOVE that stuff. I may or may not have asked if i could take some home with me when i had a molar extracted a few years ago, which was quick and painless and i didnt have pain afterwards either :)


I've never had sedation (yet but i will be for my other dental work soon) but ive heard you just come home and sleep it off for a few hours and that's it.

I wish I had better advice.. i'm sorry you are having to go through the fibro etc and then dental stuff on top of that :(
 
Re: Depressed, feel awful about myself from this dental fear and have Fibro making it harder to face

Hi I have arthritis and TMJ so I can understand how weary constant pain can make you. On top of that when the mouth starts to join in too it just drives you mad.

By baby steps it is usually meant that if you need multiple extraction or fillings, to just do one small thing to start with like the smallest filling or just to have one tooth removed. Once you have gone through a bit of treatment it builds your confidence in both you and your dentist and you usually find that you can get a bit more done. It is important to move at a pace you feel you can cope with. It is surprising how, by doing things a bit at a time, one day we find we have got to the end of the treatment we need.

You could decide how much and when to start treatment, a lot of people usually find that by starting off small they can get a bit more done each time. But if you feel that a tooth at a time is for you, it is one less to give you pain or trouble. Once you are orally healthy it will help with the other problems you have too, as you know stress makes the pain more intense. So it actually helps you feel much much better physically and mentally too. :)
 

Similar threads

R
Replies
24
Views
4K
Russell73
R
A
Replies
2
Views
837
avalon
A
R
Replies
1
Views
2K
NervousUSA
NervousUSA
T
Replies
4
Views
2K
APhobicQueen
A
Back
Top