• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

did you have dental fears as a kid

M

mikie1022

i had bad dentist fears they strapped me down as a kid on a papoose board did you ever need a papoose board i also had laughing gas or sedation too did you ever get gas or sedation

Yes my first dentist I had used to scare me and my sister. Also because I had a small mouth when I was about eight had to have a few teeth removed to make room for my adult teeth.

Yes because of bad dentists treating kids badly and doing treatment that wasn't needed. Back in the 60s a lot of kids had their teeth ruined for life by these dentists.

Thank goodness things have changed for the better now.

My childhood dentist told me if I didn't stop eating candy I'd be fat and all my teeth would fall out. He said we were too poor for white fillings so he did silver. He didn't believe that I had a sealant that flipped up so he didn't even look at it and I had a cavity in that tooth on my next visit. He didn't believe that novocaine takes a long time to work on me so I always felt every part of the drilling. 30 years later and I'm still scared every time I go to a dentist.

Throughout my childhood and teenage years I never saw a dentist, because I had already developed a fear of dentists and doctors at a very young age. I was afraid of dentists without even going to one. And my mother already knew my fear was so intense that she stopped taking me to the doctor and never took me to the dentist because she didn't want to have to fight me in order to get me out the door.

And I mean literally fighting with me because I've always been known to start panicking, kicking, screaming and crying. The older I got, the harder it was for my mom to physically pick me up and carry me out the door. She eventually gave up on it. So yes, I've had dental fears for about as far back as I can remember.

Last edited:
Back